WiFi can't be this bad? Can it?!

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by dk_lightning, May 14, 2016.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i got text today that is stop working again, and then started working again except this time 2mbit for 2ghz.

5ghz range work perfect 11 ping 50mbit, sadly her tv only does 2ghz and that work only when wants, her S7 phone always connects to but is crazy slow 1mbit usual or worse.

Macbook and mac box both work with 2ghz but have very high pings despite getting and get about 30-50mbit, and Samsung galaxy 3 tablet works with 2ghz band too not as fast as mac stuff on that band with about same pings 70-1000ms depending on it mood. which make no sense to why they work on 2ghz but rest of the stuff dont.

It got to be all that junk in her backyard which include alot all appliance made with metal, the room router is in is full of junk to and the router cant be move from there.

I feel bad cause I told her it should fix her issue (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6250.aspx), and it didnt with 2ghz band, 5ghz band is perfect, but not everything supports it.

I told her I would test her routers out at my house before bring my over to her house, incase it not interference and it some that on her property that killing the function on the router. which i not even sure it possible?? but I dont want to risk my router if it is cause then I would hear hell from people in my house. even her old router that this new one replaced. no longer connect to that tv when it did and i didnt touch thing in settings even putting everything back in it exact position it was before i started all this and it refused to connect

Gona pretty much Wire her tv which means 75foot cable going around that room, cause I they dont want me to tack the cable up and over her door way.

Like I said this is why I hate wifi till they find way to complete isolate one personal wifi from everything, which isnt possible I will always hate it. it fine for web surfing and streaming, but gaming oh hell no. only reason my ps4 is using wifi is cause I out ports.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I just got a new router last night (Netgear AC1200) and its running great. Much better than the comcast router haha. It is located across the house and I get 121 mbps on speedtest.net. I dont know how, as I only pay for 60 mbps but I am not complaining. Steam on average with new router (just downloaded 3 games) downloads at 13 mb/s which is way better than the 5-8 with constant queing/drops I was getting before.

This is on 5ghz N, not AC.

3. It's kind of funny and tacky but I have a long USB cable connected to my wifi adapter, tapped to the wall. I removed the plastic crap covering the wifi adapter, bent the inside of a cookie tin so the bottom is convex, then put it over the adapter. ..I know some people use small coffee tins but think of it as a narrow beam flashlight vs a searchlight.

Tested this on an open/free wifi connection. Without any of this, it's around 38%, wifi status reports 1-20Mbps with a usual of 200-500KB/s downstream. With, it's 70-74%, wifi status reports 168Mbps solid with a usual of 2.6-3.1MB/s.

4. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    seriously my wifi so ****ty i wanna go door to door and give people tickets for jamming air waves over my house.. What is a circumference? Smarter then a 5th grader? hahah:banana: Worst part of upgrading to the newer network standards is that my legacy devices lose support, w10 drivers are a joke for legacy dongles, the encryption is more demanding, and the companies like TP-link use garbage reltek chips from meditek that can barely assemble a calculator program. also before buying dongles check there linux kernel support if its not around 4.4 or higher that dongle is legacy, but newegg sells em like they future proof. Moreover, make sure they actually have usb 3.0 and can use some of the features.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016