Sound card, Speakers and Headphones

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by jeked, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, all those picks are pretty solid. I actually own DT770's but I don't think they are the 600 ohm version, I actually prefer the Denon AH-D2000's to the version I have though. In terms of closed ear headphones, I think the D2000's are the best for the price. That being said, I hate closed ear now and I'm probably going to end up selling my 2000.

2. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    I don't know if it's correct to say the 770's are "better". One sure thing, all those have VERY different sound signatures, you should hear each of them before buying because they may not be what you expect for your kind of music. Also the DT770 have a comfort problem I think, at least compared to the 880s and 990s(which are supremely comfortable :D).

BTW you want them just for gaming or want to listen to music through them? I ask this because something like an HD600 would be a waste just for gamming.

By the way, I never tried to power 600 ohms headphones in my STX, but by googling I found that although they get juice to power 600 ohms, their sweet spot is around 200 Ohms, so, the best would be get something around this.

For cans, the best place to ask is head-fi in my opinion, they surely can answer all your questions.

Klipsch promedia is a safe bet I think, though for the 2k you had annouced, there are far better options :p

Answering your last question: Yes, it's a great first step, you don't need to spend even US$ 1k to get very good to excelent sound on your pc, and since this is your first trip I would surely stick with something simpler. US$ 400 - 800 for a whole setup is a great start, much better than the one I had.

Keeping in my that the STX are stereo music-oriented sound-cards, they are a great choice, for music you can't go wrong in this price-bracket.

For headphones, well, it depends alot on the kind of music you hear, which is what?

And for speakers, for US$ 160 they are a good bet, is you can go to US$ 300, you can have Audioengine A5 powered speakers, also an interesting option.

3. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    If you choose the STX, then a pair of good stereo speakers like the audioengine mentioned above is a better option.

There are some good studio monitors for $ 300 - $ 500. I use blow4. It sounds excellent.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm curious, where did you read this? Do you have a link? I ask because this doesn't sound right at all and is contrary to information that I've read.

5. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
  6. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    Sorry for the delay in answering, I got a hard time finding this thread because it has been a while since I read it in head-fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/475872/asus-xonar-stx-st-and-headphones-a-basic-guide

post #13, by Shimm

edit:

Because of this I would say to stick with 300 ohms or lower headphone the STX alone, to it would be better in my opinion the beyer's which ever you end up choosing or not in the 250 ohms version, instead of the 600 ohms.

True, the only problem is that for a closed headphone, their isolation is pretty nil. They are great in SQ, no doubt, but in this aspect they could use some improvement. The AKG k550 if isolation is important. If only not leaking sound is important, I think that the denon would do the job just right. Also there is the infamous screw problem in the D2000....

@ jeked

Most of the headphones mentioned here are solid choices as already said, but to give a more precise advice, your music tastes should be taken in account, so help us.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5GB
    I would mostly gaming with these headphones. I would occasionally use them for music (pretty much everything) but normally speakers if listening to music.

Edit: Also im looking now at the DT990-600 as the DT770 isnt in stock anywhere accessible.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  8. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    That's interesting. Too bad the chart he referenced is in Russian, I doubt anyone here can read it. I have read other discussions on head-fi about the STX's amp. The last I recall was it being able to drive both high-ohm versions of DT880's without issue. Personally, if it was my decisions, I would go with the 600 ohm version.

9. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5GB
    Ok so im having trouble sourcing a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 anywhere in Australia. Now from what i understand, Australia mains power is 230v @ 50hz

Does anyone know if i buy this from UK or USA would i be able to use here in Australia without a Step down transformer and just a plug converter?

10. Mr._Murphy

Mr._Murphy Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 5850 CoolerV

11. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
  12. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    I would recommend Titanium HD over asus xonar essence stx, simply because:
    1) stx has been reported that it does not have the filter hardware which the st pci has
    2) stx opamps are soldered in which means u need to unsolder and solder then back in everytime you change for a new set
    3) stx does not have optical in
    And 4) the most importantly, i do not consider any sound card a true soundcard when all the sound is freaking emulated on your cpu, its rather pathetic as it makes me keep thinking im paying for an amplifier rather than a sound card...

Titanium Hd is a true soundcard keeping your cpu usage down to 1% while listening to music as its all processed by its own processor inside, it also is reported to having higher quality components and 1000 times better for gaming.

The only downside which can be considered redudant is that the titanium hd headphone jack only is up to 300ohm while the stx is up to 600ohm, which tbh is not necessary for pretty much any headphone out there only making it necessary for a higher "quality" ones which can be considered audiophile, but then again ppl would probably use a dedicated amplifier for that rather than the soundcard built in amp.

Also if you want some great headphones for 100$ then i suggest Sony MDR-XB700
    They are unrivaled in bass quality and can still keep up pretty decent mids and highs which is impressive since is more made for the bass side and yet still be able to sound quite good on the other range aswell, havent found any sennheizer equivalent not even at 500dollars.

So here it is, a viable cheap option to enjoy amazing sound for the price.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  13. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Which filter hardware and what does it filter?

Nope, they are not soldered. I've replaced mine. Where did you get this info from?

I heard about win vista and 7 sound processing... but maybe others can explain it better

14. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I've never seen this much cow poo poo ever. your play a joke....right.

15. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Please stop posting misinformation.

First off, about "emulated" sound and CPU usage, you have a fundamental misunderstanding. Software has to be programmed in order to utilize the Titanium HD's hardware DSP. Sadly though, many programmers have shyed away from EAX extensions and hardware accelerated sound. So realistically, you're not going to see a difference in CPU usage with either card. If software is not utilizing the EMU processor, the sound will be processed on your CPU. The "reported to have better components" is a bogus statement just like your "1000 times better for gaming". In actuality, the Essence series uses higher quality components.

The ST/STX OPAMPS are not soldered in. If they were, why would ASUS release an OPAMP upgrade kit?

[​IMG]

Do you think ASUS expects average users to break out the soldering iron?

The Titanium HD's headphone jack may be "reported" to drive up to 300 Ohms but if you take a look at the actual hardware, you will see there is no IC headphone amplifier.

The Sony MDR-XB700 or "XtraBass" headphones are garbage. Nobody on these forums takes basshead headphones seriously and to imply they are better than $500 Sennheiser equivalents is absurd.

Honestly, one of the dumbest posts I've read on Guru3D. Know what you're talking about before you click the submit reply button.

16. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Windows processing is an expensive word for emulated software sound processing, and emulated software usually is emulated by the main general task processor, aka cpu, there has been numerous experienced reviews in other than audiophile sections doing a comparison between cpu usage running xonar stx and creative titanium hd, i have a dual core core2duo cpu and its running at 0-1% when playing 320kbs music.

Im talking about asus xonar stx, by no means im talking about asus xonar st, the hardware filter presented in asus xonar st that i was talking about is the following:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/461715/the-great-debate-xonar-st-vs-xonar-stx

Now are you 100% your card is asus xonar STX?

17. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    As ive said before, thats what i tought as that was the info i scavenged around the net about the asus xonar stx, personally i was interested into the xonar st as it has been reported to make the stx bite the dust in sound quality untill... ive found out its such a processor hog its not even a real soundcard, its like a higher end creative reckon3d card, which again its a joke for a dedicated sound card.
    Personally i would only waste money for dedicated sound cards which werent similar to a freaking emulator...

As for the Sony MDR-XB700 im pretty sorry to tell you that i do own them and theres no equivalent made by sennheizer at any price range, and please, dont come with the small talk about studio headphones from 25-70000hz range, you would be comparing formula ones to jeeps.

Oh and btw, i do not expect ASUS caring about their costumers, any serious ASUS costumer who ran into their costumer care multiple times be it with gfx cards, motherboards, laptops and so on knows that they are trully disgusting both on the forums and via phone service (phone service only compared in Portugal), on top of that buying top of the line motherboards or laptops and not having drivers released for a newer windows version is also quite common and expected from ASUS and those too are also personally checked.

And on a final note about the MDR-XB700, you calling them garbage which is as a bold statement as saying "youre not going to see cpu usage difference between xonar stx and titanium hd cause most games have no EAX" rofl... i would like you to show me a sennheizer which can do better, you either have bass which sounds like your hand hitting a cardboard or everything sound like the tone as low as it can be...
    3-28000hz, beat that please ;) the difference between lows, mids and highs are freaking incredible for a pair of bass headphones and im pretty sure u have not really tought things trough when calling them garbage, let me guess ure one of those who thinks the best sounding headphones are the ones with incredible highs and trash lows, that can be true when you are in a studio trying to tell every sound from eachother, thats incredibly stupid when we are talking about trying to use them for entertainment for most of todays musics like rap, hiphop, trance, dance, techno and everything that is based on rythm and has bass, as for instrumental musics like guitar and piano type of songs, these will do fine enough even for audiophiles with proper graphic equalizer.

18. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    To the OP if you really want some decent sound card i strongly suggest titanium HD over any Xonar, I would Suggest Creative GigaWorks T3 for speakers or Logitech Z-623, for headphones (If you want the best bass youve ever heard from headphones and still have pretty decent mids and highs) the Sony MDR-XB700 (you wont find anything as boomy as those at any price range, at least i couldnt).

Remember that a serious audiophile knows that what you get from your average personal computer is a joke compared to a proper studio, i dont have a studio and even i know that, so instead of wasting time and money trying to make one from a personal computer, you should decide if you wouldnt rather have a proper "studio" instead and not just some wannabe hardware which will fail in comparison to the real thing.
    And that is why the setup i have recommended you is a better solution for entertainment.
    Also please avoid reckon3d its reported to be a freaking fail card, its similar to asus xonar (pretty much everything emulated) but with worse sound quality...

So thats my advice, ignore essence st/x and the reckon3d, they are fail cards for gaming and go with titanium HD, for gaming purposes i cant think of a better sound card.

EDIT: i have read some reviews about essence stx and its true they all say its removable opamps, so im sorry for that mistake, the "audio clock thingie" is still true, ST is better in sound than STX.

19. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6696/10643863.jpg

You have just stated the STX uses less CPU power to play music.

Edit: I love my STX for gaming! :banana:

20. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    you forgot your windows update open to make it look more legit ;) nice try though.
    And no, im pretty sure ive said it used alot more cpu.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.