Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    How was JW2? With my hearing, got to wait on hbo.

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If the first was 10/10 for me, this one is a 9.5/10. :nerd:

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I follow ST facebook, and posts from Discovery people make me want to unlike/unfollow them.
    I do not know how series is, but people behind are not talking Star Trek, they are talking Social Marxism. They do not put on pedestal greatness of Star Trek and moral values, they put on pedestal, that they managed to make crew of every single minority and race.

I am afraid that Discovery will be trash like 'Sense 8' where story was as important to makers as dirt in some country, you never saw. Those guys made series about LGBTQ... whatever letter they add these days, and different races. And sadly only acceptable character there was likely asexual Asian lady who got almost no screen time.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    JW1 and 2 OK entertainment, but set a low bar for credulity in movies. I mean theres a limit to how far you can stretch believable before dipping into fantasy. I mean sure, you can kill 3 people with a pencil, but 300 guys vs 1 almost leaves me with a fear of embarrassment to be caught watching this.

5. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    I can tell you are not a Bruce Lee fan, :>).

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Wonder Woman - Overhyped movie. 1/3 was cool, the rest was just not so interesting. going by other peoples reaction it was cooler then logan, but now way!

Alien Covenant - pleasantly surprised,considering people didnt like it. good movie, high on the list of all time favorite alien movies of mine.

7. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
  8. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Big fan of Scarlett Johansson, loved her in Lucy. Looking forward to seeing this one.

Heard some criticizing Scarlett's role for not being giving to an Oriental. Weird.

9. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Its not like the original in terms of philosophical story, but its still a great looking movie. As someone who has read the books, i think its good. A lot of people complained about casting a caucasian actress, but she looks like the drawn Motoko Kusanagi. I also think a lot of the people who complained never read the Manga.

FYI "Oriental" is for furniture, "Asian" is for people.

10. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Did not realize that. Thanks, I learned something today, :>).

11. stefus

stefus Guest

GPU:
    rx vega 56 nitro+
    I have yet to see a Start Trek series that is better than TNG...

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

TNG is very old style now, it would fail miserably if on TV today. The problem the new series will face is that they need to 'satisfy' Star Trek fans, as well as satisfy a new audience which is much larger than the Star Trek fan base. To satisfy the new audience the style of the original Star Trek and even TNG etc simply would not work, people will be wanting a space based action-adventure series, not a space based drama. If you want to watch space based drama in current shows you need to watch The Expanse, Dark Matter, or Killjoys, which are all great shows in their own way (I prefer the first two but Killjoys is still pretty good).

Enterprise didn't work because existing Star Trek fans were put off by the more primitive tech, and they failed to capture the new market. They also had some bad direction. Just hope the new series isn't like Stargate Universe, which was a great series but they failed to capture new audience as intended, and yet put off existing Stargate watchers. It became better in the second season but was too late then. It was really unfortunate because the next three seasons were already mapped and they had planned for some very interesting storylines.

13. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    The remastered TNG episodes look insanely good. Feature film quality since they were shot on 35mm film. Netflix has a bunch of episodes remastered actually.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Saw Ghost in the Shell. Awesome visuals. Think Deus Ex with a female lead.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I was actually positively surprised that they didn't completely screw up Ghost In The Shell. Though the movie would've probably benefited from 30 mins extra and a tad more depth.

16. Asher

Asher Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050
    The movie is not really that bad like what most people talk about. It is not better than the anime version, but the overall movie is really great. Now i need to say how good Death Note Live Action gonna be.

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No it is far far worse, where to start.

Let's start with two big problems and two different perspectives

The newbie who knows nothing about GITS: I can only imagine that an awful lot of the attempts at sub text and sub meaning, the dive in to the meaning of what it is to be a human, a person in a world in which everyone is connected and anyone (with the right money and connections) can replace their entire body and wheather having done so you can keep hold of what makes you you, your soul, your ghost, well I am guessing that will all have been missed because the movie uses the term 'Ghost' but barely touches ANY of the meaning behind it within the context of GITS, instead focussing more on a much simpler, I can't remember who I am because I was blown up and all I know is they replaced my body storyline.

The vet: now let's get this straight this isn;t hating on the movie because it's live action, it actually does try to give us a new take, a new story and a different perspective on the Major where it falls down is that it also decided to flat out ripe and steal story, content and scenes from the existing material and then stuck them in to a movie that makes the Major look like a total moron.

She is the leader of a special team but behaves like she barely has a clue what she is doing half the time. Now the Major in the Anime is the product of many years of war and training. In this movie she is given a new body, given a new set of memories and then thrown in to a specific and very special job and yes it could have worked, had the movie not insisted in ripping content and scenes direct from the source material and even then, even then it could have still worked if they were shot or structured half decently but they weren't.

The best example being the garbage truck driver and his family in the manga vs the same scene in the movie. In the manga we get two characters involved in this scene which results in quite a disturbing end result when it turns out the garbage truck driver and the guy with the HV Ammo and therm-optic camo are both memory hacked pawns. The movie rams these two characters together and gives no reason as to why the garbage truck driver should have been given these false memories, it isn't even shocking when it turns out they are false since the entire scene is telegraphed by him and his colleague going wide eyed and blank eyed like robots being turned on before they start doing the bad stuff.

The movie does this several times and like I said if it did them well or better or in a better context then it wouldn't have mattered but it just didn't. I was half expecting the final scene on the roof to suddenly start having Laughing Man symbols pop up,

So yeah, bad movie

On the other hand

John Wick Chapter 2 was f*cking fantastic and I would love to see a third movie made, I actually want to see what happens to this guy next.

18. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Just got back from Dunkirk. Loved it.

Those Stuka's must have been absolutely terrifying.

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    what do u guys think abt alien covenant, i find that it was a really nicr film and ridley scott got it together this time around with the cutting and editing, the movie makes more sense than prometheus because that one left us with too many questions no 8answers, its too bad they killed off shaw s character which i would have loved to see noomi rapace get back on the screen again in covenant, but all in all i really enjoyed this scifi thriller, micheal fassbender is at his usual best here

20. petermaybe

petermaybe Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB
    Alien Covenant was cool. At least I enjoyed it alright. I tried to lower my expectations before that :D as I'm quite often disappointed with sequels, prequels etc to good movies, so it didn't fail me. Fassbender was really cool, shame his taking a sabbatical or something.

I watched It yesterday, and I guess it's gonna be the best horror of the year, if not of the decade (though they promise the second part in 2018 and I'm thrilled to see it asap). Actors are perfect, loved the dose of thrills and fun. It was just perfect

ramthegamer likes this.