Newbie question about SLI and different brands

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MickeyOne, Nov 23, 2015.

1. MickeyOne

MickeyOne Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1070
    Forgive me for such newbieness, but I know that SLI works with different brands of Nvidia cards as long as they're the same GPU & memory size/type. Here's my situation: I own an MSI GTX 660 Ti 2GB Power Edition (boost) card. Can I pair it with, say, an Asus GTX 660 Ti 2GB non-boost card? If so, how will SLI work with this config? Will it just clock to the slower card with no boost ability? Also, what kind of performance enhancement can I expect with typical new releases? For example, I get 35-40 FPS with a single 660 Ti in The Witcher 3 with high details at 1920 X 1080. Will I get at least around 60 FPS in a typical SLI setup with dual 660 Ti at Ultra/very high details at this resolution? 60 FPS is the sweet spot for me. Was hoping to also play the original Crysis at highest eye candy but can't get that with just the single 660 Ti unless I want to settle for 30-40 FPS (brain has been trained for 60 FPS now)

My system specs: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS, Intel Core i5-3570K CPU, GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB video, Asus P8Z77-V Pro MB, Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM, Antec 620W PSU

2. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    that's right bro..and don't forget to drop down your highest clock at the top or first PCI-E 16x slot..:)

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    simply : Stay away from SLi

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not trying to offend here, but unless you're severly budget limited, going for 660Ti SLI 2GB doesn't sound like it's going to give you great performance anyway.

5. MickeyOne

MickeyOne Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1070
    I'm not severely budget limited but I just don't want to be playing the perpetual upgrade game anymore, spending hundreds & hundreds of dollars every couple of years just to have the latest and greatest. So unless someone can suggest a better, more bang for your buck solution, I figure spending about $90-$100 (USD) for another GTX 660 Ti (used) for something that will possibly increase my performance by 50-90% is better than spending $300-$400 dollars for a single card solution that will only get me about 30-50% better speed. The only huge advantage to reasonably priced newer cards I see is video ram but I think I can live with a few micro-stutters for a while longer until most games simply won't support GTX 660 chipsets anymore. One thing's for sure - I will NEVER go back to Radeon/AMD even if they do offer more power at lower prices. Drivers are just too s***ty.

I'm discovering that The Witcher 3 is a total beast and a bitch of a game when it comes to system requirements. Even at medium settings I'm only getting around 30-40 FPS. No other game I'm tried causes my system to chug like this. I'll be happy if I get 50 FPS in SLI with high detail settings but even that might be pure wishful thinking.

6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    A GTX970 is about 60-75% faster compared to the 660Ti. That would be your best bet I think. The 660Ti SLI would likely match it in some games but in most newer games you'd be running into memory limits. Witcher 3 can easily exceed 3GB video memory.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=186&sort=a8&page=1

7. MickeyOne

MickeyOne Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1070
    Heh, the prices in that link for the GTX 970 are almost exactly what I paid for my brand new MSI GTX 660 Ti three years ago. Maybe I should just sell it on eBay for $100+ and buy the GTX 970. That 4GB of video ram is very very tempting and the price is not too outrageous. I'd only be about $200 out of pocket. Hmm., Thanks for the suggestion. I welcome additional suggestions and opinions from others here. How 'bout it, boys? Should I pull the trigger? :eyes: