Why isn't there more information cameras and the scenes they can handle.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by death_samurai, May 5, 2014.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Take video games like crysis for example. I guess it was pretty straight forward you need a powerful rig to play the game. You could ask and people would tell you what to get.

I know it isn't so straightforward for cameras and the scenes they can take but still i wish this information would be more available.

Nowadays people use cell phones to take pictures and they aren't that good. Especially for night shots yet there are many out that don't know that. They aren't aware of it cos there isn't really such information to teach them you know you need some camera with a big ole lens popping out to take night shots and since most cell phones don't have that they cannot take night shots.

Then it starts to get harder so many models and brands of dslrs, ordinary digi cams, mirrorless and the lens out there. I am very sure all of this is so confusing. An ordinary user wants a scenic night shot of say all the buildings out there as far as the eye can see. His Canon PowerShot A2300 Digital Camera is probably not going to do it too well. Yet there isn't such information telling him exactly what type of camera he should use and not end up wasting money for example buying too much gear.

All i am saying is i just wish there were some type of guide i know it isn't as straightforward as running a pc game and the hardware required but at least have some sort of generic guide. Like person that takes endless selfies. Cell phone camera with weak front facing camera is good enough. Loves to take day close up outside day shots. More powerful back facing cell phone camera should be fine. Loves to take pictures further away maybe say 10 to 20m. OK probably not wise to use a cell phone camera. Wants to take scenic shots of the environment 50m away in the day time. Time to get a regular digi cam with some good zoom function. Wants to take the same scene but now at night ok time to get a dslr and preferably get some huge long lens as well. You know something like that.

Pardon me.

2. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    This just came into my mind but it's more like a joke. Just like cameras there are all sorts of guns out there and in places that don't allow them like the UK if you just get an ordinary pistol you're like the king while in the US ppl are packing semi automatics easily.

I was thinking in say some hollywood movie. Guy carries a smith and wesson pistol and manages to kill off his enemies some of them heavily armed with better weapons than him like machine guns and etc. In real life it's like a death sentence to go up against someone with better weaponary but hey you know in hollywood you don't even need a firearm to kill better armed enemies.

Why not have a hollywood movie starring this guy carries his pocket sized digicam takes stunningly beautiful pictures of every scene imaginable. Rivers, lakes, far away shots, night shots. Fast cars, ppl playing sports. He manages to defeat everyone else carrying their huge dslrs with his stunning pictures all taken from his slim fit digicam. It sounds entirely possible right?

3. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I probably should use some examples to explain better.

See this picture. Night shot, buildings before pp were much darker. Different light sources from everywhere. Notice how the buildings along the waterfront aren't so detailed. Zooming in and cutting out everything else didn't make the buildings more detailed. Suffice to say maybe this is a tough shot for cameras to handle. Probably need a top end camera to handle a more detailed shot what say you

[​IMG]

This is a day shot. Full zoom. In terms of picture taking is this a bad shot? Yes it is. The street lamp and the palm leaf in front are blocking out the objects. In artistic terms it takes away the focus from the main object which should be the houses behind or perhaps the street lamp and the palm leaf are the focus but it's a beautiful picture. IMO it looks good. Everything is detailed and not out of focus. Maybe it should be common sense or maybe not but night shots with objects very far away won't be so sharp or detailed but you see it's more of a learning process rather than the information being readily available. You just learn one day after taking enough pictures various places at various times of the day what to expect yet couldn't this information be available on a site somewhere. Something like a guy with a pentium 3 cpu shouldn't expect to play crysis

Btw is there anyway or any camera out there that can take the same detailed shot of the night scene with the boats and buildings as the day shot below?

[​IMG]

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    There are magazines such as amateur photographer.

This is a good place to start. There are guides comparing lenses, cameras, wide angle, macro, telephoto, etc...

Plenty of guides out there giving you any information you need, check out a few photography magazines and you'll find everything you need to know from types of camera, lens types, size, weight and reviews.

5. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    what is google.

point and shoots have ****ty quality because no manual control, no raw files, small ****ty lenses and really small sensors.
    mirrorless are good quality compared to the size of entry level dslr's, some lack physical controls and others have them.
    ff dslr's are top tier and have no crop factor, way better iso and dr, and also dat dof.

6. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Comparing cameras to graphics cards is a tricky one.
    For a start I am far more comfortable with a camera than a graphics card.
    With a graphics card there are so many other variables that can affect your gaming, like memory size/speed, motherboard, processor.
    With cameras they will ALL take photos. As a rule of thumb the more expensive they are the better they 'should' be (in terms of quality, speed, size of sensor, low light capabilities etc).
    If you pay £100 for a modern camera it will take decent photos for the majority of people, but it will have a small sensor and the quality wont be as good. If you pay £1000 for a camera you can get a decent modern DSLR which will obviously have far better capabilities.
    As you get more into photography you can research better as you will know what to look for. Just remember a point and shoot will never be as good as a DSLR due to having a smaller sensor (not to be confused with a smaller pixel count as they may both have the same).
    As I said in a previous post, its the distance between lens and sensor, the size of the sensor, the size of the lens (due to it letting more/less light in) and the quality of the glass that makes the difference between a good photo and a great photo.

7. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Yes i should have googled but you know you'll probably be getting reviews of different cameras and you don't know what it is all about.

Do you see my night shot there. Which camera do you think out there could make that night shot as clear as my day shot. Is that possible?

8. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Your own camera, if you're using base iso settings there's no reason why the night shot would magically turn worse from the day one.
    I think you're just confused on how a scene looks different at night, since it relies on nearby lightsources rather than the sun.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    not to piss on your parade, but both your night and day shots are crap. night shot is some weird overdone hdr and the day shot has a completely blown sky. so yeah, any camera can do that. Hell, I could do better with my phone camera.

10. MrDre

MrDre Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    I think our friend here is looking for an easy way to take beautifull and magical nightshots. But there is none.

Taking shots like your example are quite hard to make. It takes a good understanding of your camera and software to edit the picture to get it to that level.

If you want to know what camera can take these pictures? I bet alot of them can. At least for the DSLR cameras, even entry level ones.

But even with a 4000$ camera you probably wouldn't be able to create a shot like you wanted at first. You really need to start doing research on these pictures if that is what you want to shoot and learn what settings, equipment, software etc. was uses and start to try these for yourself. You will soon discover the limits of your own equipment from where you can start to look into better stuff.

I have a similar issue like you, where I would realy like to shoot nightsky photos where you can see all the stars and even the milkyway. The sky like that cant even be seen with the normal eye. I did some research and started taking shots. But i soon discoverd that my pictures suck :p
    So I too will need to try harder and there is no way i can buy a camera that can instantly shoot the nightsky perfectly...

"Practise makes a master..."

11. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Is the day shot nice? Even if the sky is overblown. The night shot isn't hdr i don't do that for some time.

Hi thanks for this input. This forum is better than those photography forums if i asked such a question get ready to be beaten down with the usual BS it's the skill of the camera taker etc etc and not given a proper explaination. Thanks for explaining everything to me.