Pro Logic IIx help

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by DerSchniffles, Apr 14, 2014.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Hey there guys, I just jumped into the world of real HT (kinda) and need some help. I got myself a decent Sony 5.2 A/V receiver and it has the ability to do Prologic IIx and IIz. Super....However, there really is no option for setting it up. I have read the manual twice and it seems like there is nothing google can help me with. How does it know if im using IIx over IIz? I wired in the extra 2 speakers to the surround inputs with the side speakers (hope thats right) and it just seems like its outputting the same thing the side speakers are...even when watching a 7.1 DTS-HD MA blu ray it does not seem like its doing much different unless its just that subtle...

I have the setting of PII Movie which I assume is correct with A.F.D. and it picks up everything correctly but lets say i wanted to use IIz, how would it know i have those speakers up high instead of in the back? How does it know im using IIx and which speakers are the side and which are the rears?

Sorry if this is all nub stuff, just need some clarification.

P.S. WOW! Having a dedicated receiver instead of a crappy $200 HTiB system with a real sub and actual speakers is such an INCREDIBLE difference. Games and movies are not the same, its so unreal.

2. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Pro-logic is stereo upmixing, not what you want. What model receiver do you have?

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's not quite stereo upmixing. DTS Neo etc (pro-logic equivalent) sounds better anyway :)

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    To update, i got it all figured out, turns out im a nub haha. I misunderstood what the PLIIx and z did. For PLIIx to work I need to have a 7.1 already in place and it will add the back two channels if I am receiving a 5.1 source. I thought I could add in an extra 2 speakers to get a 7.1 from a 5.1 (physically).

All is better in the world ;)