No More CSAA in Maxwell GPUs

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by lowenz, Mar 15, 2014.

1. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
  2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    TXAA perhaps? A new version of TXAA? Who knows.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    TXAA is the newest variant and from what I can tell gives better performance too even on current Kepler GPU's.

This is one technology I wish AMD GPU's could use, give me this over PhysX and G-SYNC any day.

4. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    The only game I have that supports TXAA is Crysis 3. And that's it. There isn't even way to force it. So what's the point?

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Idk there was a big hype back then when CSAA was created, it was to improve MSAA quality, faster render and lower vram bandwidth utilization.

TXAA is already here and its bad by the looks of it - to blurry and by only 3-4games. Imo it was just a marketing gimmick to sell 680GTX back then.

It could have been in nvcpl by default, btw Fermi can render it too, I asked Thimothy Lottes once and he said it is possible, its just nv not allowing it.

I guess they will create a new technique similar to CSAA, but with ability to work everywhere and still be more lightweight then traditional MSAA.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    SMAA is still the best imo, TXAA is a horrible mess and I was sorely disappointed who I had my 680gtx.

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    they won't remove it without replacing it somehow... hmm TXAA2 or something else?

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    They will invent something else just to sell the maxwell cards just like they did with Keplar. Problem with TXAA is that it has to be implemented by the game dev also. Although Nvidia has done there part, game devs just cant be bothered to implement it.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i think something related to Gameworks regardless of new aa

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Never ever used CSAA so no big deal.

11. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    After going through the original thread, I'm kind of wondering if they were actually removed or just 'simplified' if you will, by simply omitting them from the Nvidia control panel. I'd ask the original poster to test Nvidia Inspector but there's a finite amount of effort I'm willing to exert.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    CSAA is nice when it works but in many games it seems to just decrease the AA quality (at least when forced - most UE3 based games that do not have CSAA option built in). Same goes to AMD EQ (their CSAA) AA.

We really need something that works in every game and that works in motion too without massive performance hit. AMD's MLAA sucks, NVIDIA's driver FXAA is better (and it is better than FXAA 3.11) but not as good as SMAA. It's also extremely annoying that screenshot capture tools (or video recording tools save ShadowPlay) can't capture the driver FXAA/MLAA.

13. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'd take TXAA over any other method, I've always hated pixel shimmering when in motion.
    The slight blur is barely noticeable unless you're comparing screenshots which is pretty stupid when looking at temporal anti-aliasing.

14. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I hate shimmering, too. TXAA (x4) + Sharpening (in-game or SweetFX) is the best option if you have a high-end PC.

15. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I've gotten so accustomed to using little (2x) to no AA over the years (always mid range single gpu). That now 4x in-game pacifies this simple simon. :blunt:

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Why remove it? Because CSAA is POINTLESS.

It still only affects geometry and the performance benefit is basically 0.

CSAA is a waste of resources.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    This.

People don't look at film transfers to 2k(1080p) and look at things and say "Wow such blur aa!" and they certainly don't do it when they watch a CG movie.

People seem to think ultra sharpness = better quality. Which isn't true.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Driver FXAA is better with text/UI, it messes less with it.
    And it's usually better with vegetation, though barely worth mentioning.
    Still SMAA is better in general, due to having less blur. Overall it's really a tossup between the two.

TXAA and it's SMAA counterpart T2X (only one game - Crysis 3) are both very good mid-high-end solutions, unless you absolutely value sharpness over shimmering/crawling.

I really don't know where Tj is getting all this CSAA hype from. You can barely find anything about CSAA on the internet.
    Perhaps the single occasion where someone recommends CSAA is in that Skyrim Tweaking Guide @ Geforce.com
    Sometimes it worked OK, sometimes better than MSAA, and usually the difference could not even be seen. Doubt it will be missed.

AMD EQ - some people swear by it. Can't remember the last time I bothered with it.
    All I want to do these days is Supersample or Downsample, and both options are pain in the butt over at team Red,
    so I end up with MSAA on more occasions than I'd want to.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    :pc1:

"CSAA (Coverage Sampling Antialiasing) is one of the key new features of the GeForce 8 Series GPU"

So yea they hyped it back then, by they I mean nvidia.

Just like TXAA is now with 600/700 series

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  20. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Quoted for truth. TXAA has amazing quality in motion and basically eliminates edge shimmering, without much blur in motion on textures etc. Looks amazing and I wish I could use it in every game honestly, loved it when I used to play The Secret World. Took care of alphas PERFECTLY too.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014