PCEe 2.0 card on PCIe slot?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Jacastto, Jun 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    HI everyone,

my friend's pc is getting a bit old and he wants to know what he can do to fix it up

He is a bit technolocially impared, but based on his CPU-Z and GPU-Z screenshots i think he has only got PCIe graphics slot
    His current graphics card is a Radeon X300 series graphics card.

i was wondering if he could put a PCIe 2.0 graphics card in it and whether or not it would be worth it.

if not, what else can he do?

Thanks heaps.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    A PCI-E 2.0 card works with older PCI-E 1.1 and 1.0 so your good to go :)

3. 1. What kind of PCIE slot? (Is it x16?)
    2. What kind of Motherboard and Powersupply does he have?

If he does have a Pcie-16 slot, it will support a pcie 2.0 card, just make sure the power supply he uses is capable of the card he installs.

ALSO: Consider recommending a cpu upgrade if his is clocked low, as many current video games are still heavily cpu-reliant, even in high resolutions. (Heck I run 3 video cards and some so-called "next-gen" titles still will only use barely 1 gpu and almost all of my cpu......)

4. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If he has pci-e x16 slot , then yes. He can put pci-e 2.0 gpu there, with no performance loss ( unless its 4870X2 or GTX295 ). But is it worth it or not? I can't say, because i don't know rest of the specs . If his CPU is too weak , or has less then 2 gigs of ram, then, only GPU upgrade, would be almost pointless.

5. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580

qtf +1

6. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Most likely yes, but it would be best to check the manufacturers website for VGA support and if a BIOS update will allow it. If you are still unsure, just send an email to the manufacturer support.

PCIE2.0 is backwards compatible with PCIE1.0.

7. Jacastto

Jacastto Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb
    Thanks,

As i said, all i know about his pc is what ive seen from his screen shots, and from that i know more about it than he does.

i dunno what psu he's got, but im pretty sure he has a 3.2ghz P4 and 512mb ram.

I was going to recomend he get a Radeon 4770

8. A Radeon 4770 is a good idea, as long as his system can run it (400 Watt or greater power supply (550 Watt for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)).
    512MB of system ram is quite low though, many games now require 1 gb just to run them and some even require 2 gigs (not just vista games either).

9. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    A couple of 1GB stick wouldn't hurt either. 512MB RAM on XP, horrible.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What do you expect when you're using 3GPU's

And which games are highly CPU dependent? (bar Crysis)

The subject has been discussed often here, and you'll find most would disagree with you.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009