Chicago bound

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by deltatux, May 9, 2012.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hey guys,

My family is planning to head to Chicago around July. Anyone know anything interesting or a must-see and visit in the Windy City?

Last time when I visited the city, it was for business purpose, so hopefully this time I have time to actually explore the great city.

Also, by any chance would there be a MicroCenter nearby :p?

Thanks,
    deltatux

2. anf

anf Guest

GPU:
    650 ti boost 1 gb evga
    hopefully you have a good time

You have responded to some of my threads on the forum - thank you! It looks like you have a new processor - is it better than your amd.....my next upgrade is a new psu and video card . Check out the university off chicago - it has a lot of computer geeks:banana: peter kansas

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not moving there, just for vacation lol.

As for the CPU, it's definitely better.

deltatux

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Looks like there are two Microcenters in Chicago according to their website. Never been there so I don't know the area they are in though.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I never found one while i was down there, and imo there wasnt much to do down there

6. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Chicago has insane 4th of July fireworks shows. The Museum of Science and Industry is cool if you're into that sort of stuff (family attraction). All sorts of parks around the lake, decent art musems and theatres, several good pubs (can't recommend any - I always wake up the next day not remembering their names :) ).
    Wrigley Field, where the Chicago Cubs play, is a must for anyone at all interested in baseball.
    There's also a kick-butt zoo that I don't know the name of - it's huge.

Oh, don't forget to go to the hood and watch the local gangs rape and pillage the foreign visitors!

7. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    You may as well go to the top of the Sears Tower.

[​IMG]

8. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
  9. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    dont forget to check out the wind

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yea!!!^^deltatux...Do dat^Have Fun:)

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    In addition to what others said, look up for Mr Beef or Als beef, both have really nice beef sandwiches. Magnificent mile is so-so, its the average shopping area if you feel like just browsing. Shedd is okay (I think its a bit small) if you like aquariums, the path around it is really pretty though. Theres a few more museums scattered around thats really nice, search for ones that match your intrest.

Sears tower is a tourist trap, but if you want to go, go during the late afternoon. If you stay there until dusk, its really pretty (but you are going during summer, so maybe you won't see the sunset).

12. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Chicago was my second home for a while.
    Don't miss:

Navy Pier
    Cheesecake Factory in (and) the Hancock plaza
    Ginos Pizza (takes about 45 minutes to cook, so get there early)
    Gene and Georgetti's (best steaks in Chicago)
    Greek Town has great restaurants and clubs
    China Town is not a friendly place. Skip it
    Field museum
    (Of course) the Sears Tower, but honestly the Hancock observatory is just as good, but more to do around it.

Take time to walk around the Tribune bldg. On it's walls there are many many surprises.

I could go on, but don't want to bog you down with text. If you want more info, I'll be happy to help.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm from Toronto and HKG ... I think I'd skip China Town regardless :p.

Last time when I was in Chicago, we passed through China Town, wasn't too bad ... but nothing interesting to see.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, will keep those in mind and will try to hit as many of these locales.

deltatux

14. GSB

GSB Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    Not sure why anyone would want to come here for well.. anything but assuming you'll be coming in from O'hare, enjoy the 2+ hour ride to downtown on the JFK for starters. Then maybe you can head over to the Hancock and see the hotel room where Farley died with a 8 ball of coke stuffed in his mouf. Then you might wanna check out Miegs Field..oh wait it's nothing now since the corrupt-as-f*** Mayor Daley had bulldozers tear it up in the middle of the night simply because he could. But of course, as someone said make sure to go see the antiquated baseball museum on West Addison St where the team with the longest losing streak in professional sports calls home. Wear a hard hat for that though cause the ceiling has a tendency to... fall?! Enjoy the smell in the "restroom" many say it is "unique". :gape:

ps. take a taxi and check out the "Englewood" area.. that is if you can get your driver to go there... muhahahaha

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I used to live 80 miles outside of Chicago, The Museum of Science and Industry is a must-see.

16. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    This is also a must have when you're in Chicago:

[​IMG]

'Nuff said. :D

17. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
  18. Cockbender

Cockbender Guest

GPU:
    dunno
    i was in chicago last week, and there's one place i went to that i'd highly recommend you go to eat . . . . (yes, FOOD) . . . and that's a pizza joint called Exchequers, on south wabash ave. you talk about some fabulous chicago-style pizza.