Battlefield 4 stutter, new drivers or patch?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TaskMaster, Jun 12, 2014.

1. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Hi Guru's,

I have the latest installed WHQL drivers. BF4 runs for the most part smooth, however every now and then when I get shot (die) or when something explodes I get a little hang/stutter.

The same applies when I do a 360 look around the map. It is never consistent, just random.

It's not as bad as others i've seen and its not game breaking by any means, but I just wish it was 100% smooth for me as it was a couple of months back.

Playing on my rig mentioned in my profile and have my cores unparked etc.

If it helps I used the perfoverlay.drawgrpah and saw that my GPU was a little above my CPU, but the line was virtually straight with both increasing high when i felt the stutter obviously.

I noticed no change when changing through the different max pre rendered frames 1-4.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've seen other complaining about this since the latest patch.

Thank you!

2. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    I have a similar setup running Windows 8.1 64 and do not have any stutter now.

In the past it was my creative soundcard. I have read that Shadowplay that comes with GEForce Experience may cause this.

Have you tried messing with your sound card settings or uninstalling GE Force Experience if you have this installed?

3. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Thanks for the reply. I will try uninstalling it when I get home. Sound card is creative, but it's the same one I was using when it was smooth.

I just installed BF4 again recently after a few months break. So it might be forcing the 32bit exe instead of 64 which I've read is quite common.

At work atm so will report back when I get home.

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Have this since release and it will never be gone! ...

5. BigDaddy0790

BigDaddy0790 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Palit 3gb SLI
    Been happening to me ever since I upgraded to a 4k setup. Game runs at around 100 fps with 780 Ti in SLI, but when I die or there is a "boom" - stutter, dropping to 0 frames. Really annoying. Although worth mentioning that it only happens when recording - the game runs fine when I'm not. Plenty pissed at this though since recording is half of the reason I'm playing.

First time I see someone else have this problem. Wonder if it's fixable? I didn't notice any spikes during this (CPU/GPU), so I'm fairly sure it's not the hardware that's the issue.

6. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    still happening. Going to try the Icafe drivers and see if they work. Here's hoping!

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    There are reports of some at Geforce forum having issues with new drivers and putting system to sleep and awaking then fixes it for them, at least till next reboot .

8. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Ok so I didn't install the icafe drivers. Instead I uninstalled AVAST free antivirus and bam! I'm back to smooth gameplay. I am using AVG antivirus now and all is good. Unbelievable what these software can do.

9. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Feel free to try my user.cfg to see if it helps.

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 128
    PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1
    RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit -1
    RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
    WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
    WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
    WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 1024
    WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
    WorldRender.LightTileCsPathEnable 1

10. BigDaddy0790

BigDaddy0790 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Palit 3gb SLI
    Glad you found a solution. Won't work for me though since I don't have any anti-virus software :(

Guess it's the recording that's the problem. I'm just wondering why...stutter is so specific, only on death and sometimes explosions...it also seems to go away on low-medium settings.

11. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I once stated origin and for a moment a little box saying something like origin recording or something like that.

Maybe that is it? I've disabled origin in game too.

12. BigDaddy0790

BigDaddy0790 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Palit 3gb SLI
    Mine is long disabled, ever since BF3.

13. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    you can try disable AA in game and raise the resolution scale. I hear that helps and gives the same if not better quality of image. heck even 110% looks better then 4xAA in game.

14. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    :) add the game folder to the exceptions list...

15. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Are you on windows 7 or 8?

16. BigDaddy0790

BigDaddy0790 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Palit 3gb SLI
    I have AA disabled already, with 4k there is simply no difference with it turned on besides a huge fps hit. I also played the game for a while on 200% scale when I still had 1080p monitor but already upgraded to 780 SLI, and the game ran just fine. I'm guessing it's the 4k that's to blame here, mixed with recording.

17. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    The last update to BF4 with the new option to increase server talk time is wonderful. The game is so smooth now.

18. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Hmm, I used to have the exact same issue, every death the fps would go to 0 and usage would spike. But after installing win 8.1 it stopped.

19. IamGODobeyORdie

IamGODobeyORdie Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 780@SLI & GTX 780M
    Great addition, BF4 is actually a great game today, it just took some time....

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I think i had the same issue with these, rolled back to .50 beta drivers and everything was smooth again.