ASUS ARES Review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

ASUS ARES gets tested
    We test and review the worlds fastest single graphics card on the globe the maddness that is called the ASUS ARES. An uber-high-enthusiast targeted product intended to create a lot of buzz and potentially...

More...

2. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    So where's the crossfire review? :D

3. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hate it

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    a master piece from asus.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Shame about the noise.

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This looks so wrong, but also explains the noise levels:
    [​IMG]

Still, it appears to be more expensive and more noisy than 480 SLI while offering less performance.

7. poo417

poo417 Guest

GPU:
    Very nice review as usual. Eyefinity? It would have been nice to see how much faster it is than a normal 5970 at the same speeds. Around 900/1200 seems to be a normal OC for vanilla 5970's. It does seem that all the reviews that have done 4gb 5970's have not shown eyefinity so I can only assume it makes very little difference to most games. Looking forward to your NV surround review before jumping to green.

8. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Everything is as expected... Useless shiny badass gpu. However, I've failed to draw a conclusion from this article whether its 4gb ram give any performance gain over 5970's 2gb.

9. mascotzel

mascotzel New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 8800GT
    The guys at Overclock3D say the card is whisper quiet,while also maintaing low temps. I find that hard to believe.

10. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    450W + low temps + whisper-quiet = no, sir

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I see you have forget to use the Appliccation profile of the 23/6 with cat 10.6 (first one is bugged, the 18/6 too for crossfire )... cause 87fps on BC2 with Crossfire is 20fps less of what i have ( 16AF/8xAA, HBAO - 1920x1080= 100+fps )

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  12. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Sharp edges in airflow. Axial fan. No strange it does a respectable imitation of a 747 during takeoff.

No thanks.

//Svein

13. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    You guys really do not need 66C/67C on the GPU's under extreme load, perhaps that other site that tested this card actually used the fancontroll in the drivers... Redusing the fan rpm under load to allow the temps to rise to 75-80C would reduse loadnoise substancially, without getting to hot for comfort..

We all know that the added memory do squat for regular resolutions, as other have mentioned before me, EyeInfinity resolutions would have been nice to see vs. an vanilla HD5970...

@Hilbert: I see an error on page 9 where you write: "So after applying the tweaks we ran 3DMark Vantage as well again, we now end up at a nice P score of 12657. A nice step up for a 30 second tweak."
    I guess I don't have to point out whats wrong in that sentense :p

Nice review, to bad you did not do some EyeInfinity comparison, but I guess not everyone have 3 24" + LCD's laying around..

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The card is 67 degrees under full load. That's why it's loud, they want to keep the temperature down as far as possible to give maximum OC headroom.

Surely its fan can be turned down if you don't want the card running so cool.

15. jcgeny

jcgeny Banned

GPU:
    2xhd5970+Gtx260 /\ GT 230
    3 pci slot space : that becomes incredible . they should try to sell a watercooled model : it would use one slot only .
    this card is a monster , asus should try to get some 32nm gpu instead of 40 as the common model , then it could be at 1 Ghz with only 2 pci slot space .
    surely the price deserves the 32 nm ;']

16. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    it is strange that guru3d manage to record a louder noise from this card when compared to the 480 or the 480sli.
    In techpowerup and hardwareheaven, the results shows that the 480 sli is generally more noisy. it makes sense to have the 480 louder because the 480 consumes more power.

A 480 sli consumes over 600+ watts of power while the ARES is about 400+ watts.

This card is a masterpiece and it is so beautiful as well.

17. Vehicon

Vehicon Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    1200 bucks for this card...worth it.........??

18. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    This is pretty much like an exotic car....

Everytime I see this card, I think of Raphael from TMNT.
    [​IMG]

19. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Do want.

But seriously, why wouldn't you just buy a pair of GTX 480s and SLI them - it'd be cheaper and the performance would be better too! Granted, it'd probably still be worse in heat, but the noise I'm not too sure about!

- PR-0927