Question about SSDs

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by mercury228, Apr 11, 2013.

1. mercury228

mercury228 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 ti
    I currently have a 120 gb ssd with a 500gb hhd. I was looking into getting a 500gb ssd and just using that but I needed to think about a few things first.

1. could i get like a 250gb ssd and raid zero with the current 120gb ssd that i am using. It has windows and a few games on it with some office work.

2. If I got a new ssd what would happen to my current version of windows. I have windows 7 but no disk or anything like that.

Thanks for any responses.:)

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes you can, you will get a 240GB RAID drive and can create another partition of 120GB.

You may not be able to get TRIM working, so make sure the drives you use have good garbage collection.
    If not, the drives will slow down and wear themselves out faster.

When SSDs die, they often just die, you dont get a chance to backup your data.
    She should use a backup anyway otherwise you risk losing everything.

If you want to keep your current windows install, you will need to back it up and restore it after creating the array.
    You may need to write align the SSDs for the restore, otherwise you can lose performance.

3. mercury228

mercury228 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 ti
    So even if I keep my current windows on the 120gb, just adding another ssd I will have to do that? I cant just put another ssd in there with raid 0. I am not 100% sure how it works.:3eyes:

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you want to change a drive from single to be part of RAID, you will lose all data.
    RAID requires you to make new partitions with the RAID controller and format them.

You can then partition any leftover space and use that as a single drive.
    fyi:
    Copying from that drive to/from the RAID array will be slower because the drive you are copying from is being read from and written to because its in use as a single drive, and as part of the RAID array.