Odd Networking Issue

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by dk_lightning, Jul 19, 2015.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I have the oddest problem that I can not seem to fix.

My current set up is as follows.

VDSL Modem > Router > Switch > My PC.

Plugged into the Router is a 2nd router that has Wireless AC and I use as an AP for my Wireless AC devices.

Plugged into the Switch is another router used for WiFi upstairs.

My problem is that for some reason the Wireless AC router is messing up my internet connection on my PC. Pages wont load etc for a few moments or mins.

If I go and unplug it or just reboot it from the Web GUI my PC can access the net fine again for a short time then it all breaks again.

Why I do not know. My PC's connection does not go via that router at all and its DHCP server is off and my PC's IP has been set manually to make sure its not trying to connect to that router.

Any ideas? I may of posted about this before but I'm not sure if that was here on guru3d or some other forum but I never did find the issue.

I want to fix it as its driving me nuts!

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    All routers on the same IP range?

3. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Yeah, all routers and devices are on 192.168.1.***

4. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Checked for IP conflicts? Is DHCP deactivated on the second router?

If no IP conflicts, then I belive you are having some broadcast/multicast storm on your network. It can be all from faulty devices/hardware, cables, cheap hardware etc..

5. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    OK, I have been through all the settings on the router that is causing my issues and disabled all options like the firewall, upnp etc since I dont need them enabled since its just used as a Wireless AP, And things seem to be ok now.

Its been 24+ hours and had no issues on the network since. So its clear one of the options I disabled was causing issues.

6. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    What brand of switch, router are you using? does sound like there is a broadcast storm on your network, If you switch supports STP(Spanning Tree Protocol) that can help eliminate the broadcast storm,

If you could change your setup to something like this
    VDSL Modem > Router > Switch >AC Router> WiFi upstairs Router > My PC.

So basically have everything connected to the Switch, as most switches support STP,