Help choosing a solid router

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by 0blivious, Jun 7, 2015.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    My current cheap router needs replacement. As I peruse the options, I can't make heads or tails of all the routers out there.

Price is not really a huge concern but I'd like to keep it within $150-$350 and get the best unit for the money.

I need a router that can handle:
    Up to 10 PCs connected
    Up to 10 mobile devices connected
    Streaming 1080p video
    Online Gaming (but not too often)

I'd also like a router that has all the current/upcoming wireless standards and any other features they may have incorporated.

Are there any particular routers that are considered the gold standards? Appreciate any advice as I'm clueless on networking.

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
  3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's a bit overkill imo. How many wireless devices do you plan to connect to the router? That includes consoles, tvs and cell phones.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It does seem like overkill. I'm going for that. :) Had enough of our router getting overloaded/crapping out and needing reset.

Connected devices:
    At all times: 5 PCs, 3 Phones, 2 tablets, 1 Roku
    Weekends: 7 PCs, 3 Phones, 5 tablets, 1 Roku
    Max Load: 10 PCs, 5 Phones, 5 tablets, 1 TV, 1 Roku
    (we don't use our (older) consoles on the net)

--Netflix/Hulu/Live Sporting Events (etc) are occasionally streamed to more than 1 room simultaneously.
    --All our movies have been digitized and placed on PLEX server for local streaming.
    --It would be great if moving files between PCs on the network was much faster. For larger items, I typically use my portable usb3.0 drive instead.

5. Adil0n

Adil0n Guest

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    Guess It's for your home and not for work, so I'll give you my opinion on the two routers I have.

My main router it's an Ubiquiti AirRouter AP, works like a charm also the stock firmware it's pretty OCD, you can control everything related to the conections and also has every wireless standard and more (it's ubiquiti, what else can be said?), also it's incredibly stable, never had a drop, except from my ISP of course.

My second router it's the oldie goldie Linksys WRT54GL, with Tomato Firmware installed on it. If you're not acquainted with that, it's a Cisco router which firmware can be swapped with one that works under Linux (sort of, short version of the story), that said, with tomato firmware, you add stability and of course a very deep sense of control over the netwrok, can overwhelm a bit the first time you see it, but you get used to it and can manage the bandwith over all your devices (same as the ubiquiti one).

Those are the one's I have and never had a drop from them (again, if I had a drop, was always from my ISP). At home I have 5 PC's, 2 HTPC's, 3 tablets and 4 phones, and the HTPC's are all day working, specially on good football matches :eyes:
    It's not the load you have, but I think these two can handle that much you say.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's quite a few devices. So that router might not be as overkill as I thought. Either way i would look at the Netgear R7000 or the Asus RT-AC68U. If you need something more, then the one you listed would probably suit you better.

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Appreciate the assistance.

There's just so many choices and it's been years since I bought one. I've gone the cheapie route for my past 2 and I want to avoid that this time.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  9. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I would also suggest an Asus RT-AC68U.

I run it in my house with five computers, seven phones/tablets, three consoles, NAS, and a few streaming devices. In the year or two I've owned it now, I've not had a single hiccup from it. It's reliability is fantastic and the stock firmware is awesome. It's the best router I've owned by far.

As far as NAS speeds go, the transfer speeds will be limited by the output of the NAS and the connection type of the receiving computer. My NAS pushes 65-70MB/s but one of our laptops has a junk wireless-n adapter that only allows it to receive at 5MB/s.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Appreciate the feedback. I think I may pull the trigger on a new router today...

11. Tsume

Tsume Member

GPU:
    2x 290x ref cooler
    I use a Netgear R7000 and it works flawlessly. We do a lot of streaming and network file transfers here and it works great. The GUI is a bit stale, but the firmware is solid. You can always throw DD-WRT on it if you want. The Asus RT-AC68U is very similar but with a better stock GUI. Downside of the Asus is that it cannot be wall mounted.

12. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I'm building my next router and running pfsense. I'll add as many switches and wifi APs as needed.

One thing to consider is processor power for your given internet speed. If you have 150 Mbps, your router's CPU might not be able to handle all that data.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  14. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Recently bought an Asus RT-AC68U.

Really nice. Can be had for near $200. Probably less.

Whatever you do, make sure the WAN port is Gigabit at least. My last one was 100MB, bought it a few years back, and it limited my downstream.

...and I still think the 87U looks like a hat Sauron would wear...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti

16. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I have both AC87U and AC3200, And AC87U has had issues with firmware since release it has gotten better but still has issues, on the other hand the AC3200 is perfect and solid performance with no issues at all.

I have over 42 devices, 31 using wifi connected to the AC3200 with no issues, I use 2 x AC87U as a media bridge since i cant run cables to different floors in my house(english regulations on listed building), overall AC87U has better AC speeds, but has compatible issues, the AC3200 has overall best coverage and speeds are still pretty epic, and i personally havent had any compatible issues.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Thank's for the info. :)
    I have one question, do they both support IGMP?

18. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I believe they do.