SOMA (sci fi horror game)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vejn, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Disable FXAA and everything is 100% smooth again

Enable it, and it's a stuttering mess

EDIT - Well, not 100% smooth lol, but much better, max pre rendered frames to 4 in NVCP helps a lot

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    turn off vsync to see smoother gameplay , also set refresh rate to 60hz or whatever you like

i hope i can get it to run @ 120fps

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im stlll not sure if i want to get this game

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Really enjoying it but the further you get into the game, the more stuttery it becomes, Ive turned everything either off or to its lowest and it still stutters, so I've just left it all on max apart from FXAA

Reminds me of a much less ridiculously difficult Alien Isolation mixed with Bioshock under the sea / monsters, and some HL2 puzzles

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just bought the game and it is downloading now.

Not hugely excited that it is using OpenGL. However, that does mean there's a possibly of forcing 4xMSAA + 4xSSAA for better anti-aliasing on my card without the need for a compatibility flag as it worked great in...erm...Farming Simulator 2013 and 2015, which both used OpenGL as well, the latter being 64-bit.

Game looks very intriguing and I really enjoy first-person games that do not focus on combat (mainly because until the last couple of years almost all first-person games were shooters with little or no physical interaction with the environment beyond blowing things up and picking up ammo and medikits). The Vanishing of Ethan Carter were amazing and memorable despite its short length and what has me intrigued about SOMA is the story. I really enjoy narrative focused games.

6. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I think this is only opengl engine beside Id tech 5 and I'm looking forward what will they do whit HPL4.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well, I was enjoying it until it got too annoying, can't use flashlight because monsters see you, can't walk or run because they hear you, can't see a thing because it's too dark, have no idea which way to go because there's no map, and every single door you open, there's a monster waiting for you, EXIT

8. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    They are not monster as in Amnesia. They are creatures with some background. I can't spoil it but you should find out they're reactions.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Clocked it, about 9 hours straight apart from a 5 minute rage break lol

Best game I've played in a long time

Tip: Don't quit the game before the credits have finished ;)

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    After a bit of an uninspired start this game is really starting to pick up now and has a real BioShock (1 and 2) meets Dead Space vibe to it minus all the dull predictable gun fare. Only problem is I'm stuck...

I have reached an area where there is a robot who thinks he is human but in pain. I can pull a lever but it doesn't do anything obvious apart from flash a red warning siren and agonise the robot-human person even more. There are two consoles asking for ID # and there are is a set of stairs leading up past some suits and what appears to be a door leaking water. I think it is water because the graphics here are particularly poor IMO (the graphics are otherwise good if not exactly jaw-drowing...the lighting is very effective though).

I believe I have to get to the Comms Tower, as mentioned over the intercom a bit earlier, and it is shown on a map. That appears to be up a flight of stairs that is sealed at the top and the lever does not appear to work (it won't pull down for some reason).

Without spelling it out directly, can someone give me a subtle hint as to what am I supposed to do please? I don't want to consult a walkthrough for fear of spoilers and I hate told exactly what to do anyway. I know I am missing something obvious as the game has fairly limited interactions, although much better than every other "walking simulator" I've played.

That said, this seems to be more that just that. The story seems very intriguing but I find the actions of the main character puzzling. He vocalises his thoughts in a way that makes the experience feel less lonely but does react at all to initially finding out where he is or all the carnage and chaos he finds there. It is really my only gripe so far; if you're going to have a character who speaks (and I am all for that personally) then at least have them react in a believable way.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    check the ID tag numbers on the suites and enter them into the console in the main room next to the smaller one where that robot is

12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i'd .love to get free roaming camera to snap some shots

the game is damn hard , that guy with the lights in his head is an annoying f***

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Not sure if it's going to have simplified visuals like the model viewer had (Tested it earlier to check on one of the creature entities.) but you could try starting the "MapVewer.exe" editing utility and see if that doesn't allow for more freely exploring the environments. :)

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What is with the excessive chromatic aberration used in this game. I really want to like this game but it gives me a massive headache. The first 30 minutes or so was fine but then I got hit once by an enemy and now I'm permanently dazed or something. Everything looks like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also appears the game is locked at 60fps. I have 144hz selected in the options but it never goes above 60

15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    you can remove that , go to game options and turn color separations off

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    just go and heal yourslef, when u take damage or something like that you get into this mental state and everything is blurry and messed up. So you just need to heal and all is fine again..

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  17. A49ER08

A49ER08 Member Guru

GPU:
    evgaRtx3080XC3Ultra
    hrmm seems interesing.. I think I might have to grab it

thanks for the insights guys

18. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I am way too much of a big girl to play this game.

19. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    They wanted for the player to pick up the puzzles and bind them together to proceed. Just check everything.

20. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    An intriguing game so far.

Just reached the surface.
    Graphically it is ok; Could be better and quite frustrating at the beginning with the puzzles.
    Kinda like seems inspired by bioshock franchise.

Time to get back to the game.