Samsung 850 EVO SSD issues?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by NickyCymbals, Aug 27, 2015.

1. NickyCymbals

NickyCymbals Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    About 2-3 weeks ago I upgraded to an Samsung 500 GB EVO 850 SSD. I installed Win 10 Pro x64 on it and though it took a few tweaks to get the partition to create I got it up and going.

Fast forward to last night. Suddenly Win 10 stops working. Right/left click on desktop does nothing. Every 5 seconds the screen blips and all open windows close. :bang: I can still use task manager.

I retained my old image on my HDD prior to the upgrade. If I boot to that, everything works fine which leads me to rule out hardware issues with mobo, gpu, cpu, etc.

I didn't see any firmware for the 850 and am going to install magician on old image and test the SSD for any bad sectors tonight. If no bad sectors I assume there is a software conflict in Win 10. Latest thing I did was upgrade Waterfox to most recent version.

Not sure what else to try but am trying to avoid a full OS re-install if possible. Last resort is RMA it and start over.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    When was the Waterfox update done in relation to Win 10 not functioning normally?

3. NickyCymbals

NickyCymbals Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Waterfox was updated probably a few hours prior. I cannot imagine it would host the OS as I am running same version of Waterfox on a laptop also running Win 10 but there are oddities in computing.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What kind of issues did you have setting the partition? I just replaced my 840 with an 850 as the OS drive and everything installed fine.

5. NickyCymbals

NickyCymbals Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    When you get to the screen to select a drive/partition, I couldn't install on top of unallocated space. Co-worker said that is normal but I have rebuilt countless computers running Windows 7 in my job and never had to create the partition first.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That is normal. You have to create a partition before you can write to it.