Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything AMD Catalyst related. Catalyst drivers are for all AMD based graphics cards and APUs.

Old
  (#76)
Krteq
Master Guru

Videocard: R9 290 Tri-X OC
Processor: Core i7 6700K @4,7 GHz WC
Mainboard: GIGABYTE Z170-D3H
Memory: 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
Soundcard: Prodigy 7.1 HiFi + HD515
PSU: Seasonic 620W
Default 07-25-2017, 22:01 | posts: 330 | Location: Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoDiceGR View Post
Vega "unicorn" driver?

Old
  (#77)
NvidiaFreak650
Member Guru

Videocard: AMD Radeon RX Vega 8GB
Processor: Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z170x
Memory: 16GB 2400mhz (8GBx2)
Soundcard: Realtek ALC1150 & Z-5500
PSU: EVGA 750w
Default 07-26-2017, 01:22 | posts: 146

AMD has finally fix FreeSync in 17.7.2 here the reason why.

Before 17.7.2 you need to have Vsync on in Game in order for FreeSync to kick in but some games will not play nice with FreeSync due of games using Triple Buffering & Double Buffering Vsync without Hardware Vsync which cause issues in games like Just Cause 3 & Fallout 4 & other games not to work with FreeSync.

Now AMD made Enhanced Vsync not only to give you a uncap framerate with out any screen tear but to fix FreeSync problems as well. by adding a hardware base driver level Vsync mode FreeSync should now be working without any problems since it's now a hardware to hardware driver base vs 17.7.1 software to hardware driver base.

Old
  (#78)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290 ACIV 1150/1500MHz
Processor: i5-4590
Mainboard: ECS Z97 Machine
Memory: 16GB HyperX 2400MHz
Soundcard: Teac UD-501->JBL LSR308
PSU: Silent Pro M700
Default 07-26-2017, 02:30 | posts: 5,747

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvidiaFreak650 View Post

Before 17.7.2 you need to have Vsync on in Game in order for FreeSync to kick in
LOL what?
I assure you, If the only way to prevent tearing is Vsync=ON, your FreeSync is not working. With or without Vsync.

Quote:
Now AMD made Enhanced Vsync not only to give you a uncap framerate with out any screen tear but to fix FreeSync problems as well. by adding a hardware base driver level Vsync mode FreeSync should now be working without any problems since it's now a hardware to hardware driver base vs 17.7.1 software to hardware driver base.

They are adding Nvidia's Fast Sync.
I was asking for tearing past max refresh fix ever since I bought FS monitor
This should do it I guess.
Please let it work out of the box, and without some stupid restrictions.

Old
  (#79)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Default 07-26-2017, 02:41 | posts: 5,747

I have finally grown enough ballz to use Wattman undervolting, and to my surprise it works well huraay

But boy is it buggy...still.. it's sostupid, I can't even write it down.
Well OK i'll try:

Global Profile keeps picking up (some?)particular Game Profile and overwriting its own Watman settings. I revert the Global WattMan profile to its default automatic state, only to find it in manual and udervolted state.
Or sometimes Watman settings do not kick in. After I restart the game, it works as intended

Old
  (#80)
NvidiaFreak650
Member Guru

Default 07-26-2017, 03:39 | posts: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisiv View Post
LOL what?
I assure you, If the only way to prevent tearing is Vsync=ON, your FreeSync is not working. With or without Vsync.

They are adding Nvidia's Fast Sync.
I was asking for tearing past max refresh fix ever since I bought FS monitor
This should do it I guess.
Please let it work out of the box, and without some stupid restrictions.
What I mean is on AMD side, Vsync does not work when you force in the drivers unlike Nvidia drivers they work when you force it.
using (In Game Vsync) with FreeSync break FreeSync in some games example: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=411698

So having Enhanced Vsync in AMD drivers will fix FreeSync problems by letting AMD drivers forcing Vsync on, by doing this you have Vsync Force & FreeSync working in one pipeline then two causing issues in games like Just Cause 3 & Fallout 4.

Old
  (#81)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Default 07-26-2017, 04:05 | posts: 5,747

Yes Just Cause 3 is ****ed up. FS only works in windowed mode(WTF!!)

According to AMD Vsync=ON should work with FS doing normal Vsync past the max refresh, essentially frame limiting at max refresh, but nope

Old
  (#82)
LocoDiceGR
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte R9 380 4G
Processor: Intel®Core i5 750 2.67Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P7P55-M
Memory: HyperX Fury @1866
Soundcard: SoundblasterZ
PSU: XFX TS 550w
Default 07-26-2017, 05:36 | posts: 683 | Location: Greece

Enhanced Sync

NVIDIA’s Fast Sync finally gets a competitor. With 17.7.2 driver AMD introduces an alternative to VSync called Enhanced Sync. I’m not going to explain how this works here, but what you need to know is that it will give you the advantages of VSync without the latency caused by synchronization with the display. No more tearing and no more lag.

Relive at 100 MB/s

Relive will now allow you to save the recordings at a higher bitrate. You will now be able to record at 100 Mb/s. The Relive in 17.7.2 driver will also allow you to add a webcam to the stream and boost the volume of the microphone from within the Radeon panel.

Radeon Chill now on laptops

Radeon Chill will now be enabled for mobile graphics cards, multi-GPU configurations and also external graphics cards. In case you don’t know what Radeon Chill is, it’s basically a frame limiting tool to lower power consumption and the heat.

Full changelog will be released tomorrow/today.

Old
  (#83)
Krteq
Master Guru

Videocard: R9 290 Tri-X OC
Processor: Core i7 6700K @4,7 GHz WC
Mainboard: GIGABYTE Z170-D3H
Memory: 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
Soundcard: Prodigy 7.1 HiFi + HD515
PSU: Seasonic 620W
Default 07-26-2017, 08:16 | posts: 330 | Location: Czech Republic

Quote:
What I mean is on AMD side, Vsync does not work when you force in the drivers unlike Nvidia drivers they work when you force it.
Forcing V-sync in Radeon Settings works fine here. What exactly do you mean by "does not work"?

Old
  (#84)
Passus
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI r9 280 (Baked)
Processor: i7 4790k
Mainboard: MSI H97 PC Mate
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengean 1600
Soundcard: SB Audigy 2 ZS
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B1
Default 07-26-2017, 12:15 | posts: 701 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krteq View Post
Forcing V-sync in Radeon Settings works fine here. What exactly do you mean by "does not work"?
Never worked here mate

Old
  (#85)
OnnA
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Nitro Fiji-X HBM 1150/570
Processor: ZEN x8 k17 + Nepton 280L
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: 16GB 3200 CL16 1T Ripjaws
Soundcard: SB-z Nichicon + Wood 5.1
PSU: Seasonic-X 750W Platinum
Default 07-26-2017, 12:20 | posts: 2,995 | Location: HolyWater Village

Old
  (#86)
hyp36rmax

Videocard: AMD FURY X Crossfire
Processor: Intel i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99M-WS
Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
Soundcard: Schiit Stack Uber
PSU: Seasonic XP3 1200 Watt
Default 07-26-2017, 14:59 | posts: 5

Quote:

Before 17.7.2 you need to have Vsync on in Game in order for FreeSync to kick in but some games will not play nice with FreeSync due of games using Triple Buffering & Double Buffering Vsync without Hardware Vsync which cause issues in games like Just Cause 3 & Fallout 4 & other games not to work with FreeSync.

Somewhat correct. You have to have your FPS capped to the max refresh of your freesync range. Vsync not required.

E.G.: ASUS MG279Q 1440P @144hz Monitor with a Freesync range of 35-90hz. Cap FPS at 90hz and Freesync works flawlessly. This can be done by changing in-game refresh rate without changing the monitor refresh rate or cap the FPS at 90.

Old
  (#87)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 07-26-2017, 15:27 | posts: 13,150 | Location: Sweden

What will probably be the 17.7.2 URL is displaying a 401: Unauthorized error now instead of 404: Not found so it's probably not too long now until these are released.
(EDIT: That's this URL. - http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx basically just swap the number.)

Will be interesting to see what's in the release notes, probably going to be another driver branch update too. (Probably 17.20.xx which might have some interesting changes to it, newer Vulkan driver too perhaps but who knows.)

Just in time for the Vega GPU release too even if initial results have been a bit mixed.
(Drivers could make a bit of a difference but I don't know how well that holds up for newer AMD GPU's anymore, probably a fairly small gain unless said game was totally borked before getting fixed via driver workarounds. )

Old
  (#88)
OnnA
Ancient Guru

Talking 07-26-2017, 15:31 | posts: 2,995 | Location: HolyWater Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBeckman View Post
What will probably be the 17.7.2 URL is displaying a 401: Unauthorized error now instead of 404: Not found so it's probably not too long now until these are released.
(EDIT: That's this URL. - http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx basically just swap the number.)

Will be interesting to see what's in the release notes, probably going to be another driver branch update too. (Probably 17.20.xx which might have some interesting changes to it, newer Vulkan driver too perhaps but who knows.)

Just in time for the Vega GPU release too even if initial results have been a bit mixed.
(Drivers could make a bit of a difference but I don't know how well that holds up for newer AMD GPU's anymore, probably a fairly small gain unless said game was totally borked before getting fixed via driver workarounds. )
look here ->

Error

The following file(s) have been blocked by the administrator: /en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-17.7.2-july26.exe

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.

PS. Now we know date

Old
  (#89)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 07-26-2017, 15:43 | posts: 13,150 | Location: Sweden

Nice.

Hopefully not too long now until release.

Not like you have to upgrade of course but it's fun trying new drivers and seeing what they might have added, fixed, tweaked and so on and of course time zone differences also sees AMD usually releasing driver updates late in the evening or even during the night for us here in western Europe but that's just how it is.

Perhaps one of these days the legacy CCC part will be no more either and every missing setting will finally have been migrated over to Crimson / CNext / RadeonSettins. (And whatever other name it might have, think it's RadeonSetting.exe now instead of CNext.exe but what changed months ago.)

EDIT: Though I guess what people really want to see is for AMD to close in on the performance gap a bit further if at all possible, particularly for DX11 even if it's improved little by little already.

Old
  (#90)
OnnA
Ancient Guru

Talking 07-26-2017, 17:13 | posts: 2,995 | Location: HolyWater Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBeckman View Post
Nice.

Hopefully not too long now until release.

Not like you have to upgrade of course but it's fun trying new drivers and seeing what they might have added, fixed, tweaked and so on and of course time zone differences also sees AMD usually releasing driver updates late in the evening or even during the night for us here in western Europe but that's just how it is.

Perhaps one of these days the legacy CCC part will be no more either and every missing setting will finally have been migrated over to Crimson / CNext / RadeonSettins. (And whatever other name it might have, think it's RadeonSetting.exe now instead of CNext.exe but what changed months ago.)

EDIT: Though I guess what people really want to see is for AMD to close in on the performance gap a bit further if at all possible, particularly for DX11 even if it's improved little by little already.
Performance/wallet wise the Fury Fiji HBM based GPUs are the Best to date !
1440p and 4096p 50-70FPS scenarios

I can Play 1440p FreeSync 60-70FPS with Fury easy.
Not in DOOM vulcan but in Forza H3 with MSAAx4

For ~630€ (GPU + Monitor) it's a Best of the Best 2016-> Q3 2017 for me.
And im thinking that ATI can harness up to 8-15% more with Fiji in Drivers+Optimisations only.

Last edited by OnnA; 07-26-2017 at 17:16.

Old
  (#91)
Rambo
Master Guru

Videocard: RX 480->RX 560 w8 4 Vega
Processor: i5-4690
Mainboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 3
Memory: 4xG.SKILL 2400 CL10
Soundcard: Hail for bananas!
PSU: EVGA 550W
Default 07-26-2017, 18:03 | posts: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax View Post
Somewhat correct. You have to have your FPS capped to the max refresh of your freesync range. Vsync not required.

E.G.: ASUS MG279Q 1440P @144hz Monitor with a Freesync range of 35-90hz. Cap FPS at 90hz and Freesync works flawlessly. This can be done by changing in-game refresh rate without changing the monitor refresh rate or cap the FPS at 90.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...13v/?context=3

Old
  (#92)
garyb

Videocard: RX 580
Processor: i7-4790
Mainboard: MSI Z97-G43
Memory: Ballistix 16gb DDR3
Soundcard: Creative T40
PSU: Corsair
Default 07-26-2017, 18:42 | posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax View Post
Correct me if im wrong but that would break freesync. You should never cap your refresh rate when using freesync to use freesync you cap it by using vsync thats the proper way !!! ?

but with these new drivers it is now possible to cap your refresh rate without vsync ?

Old
  (#93)
Alessio1989
Master Guru

Videocard: Two different furnaces
Processor: It's getting old...
Mainboard: A voltage leaker...
Memory: Heap corruption
Soundcard: It's over 109db!!!!
PSU: Finally, a quite engine
Default 07-26-2017, 19:05 | posts: 700 | Location: Good-food-land

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb View Post
Correct me if im wrong but that would break freesync. You should never cap your refresh rate when using freesync to use freesync you cap it by using vsync thats the proper way !!! ?

but with these new drivers it is now possible to cap your refresh rate without vsync ?
Via DXGI hook I guess. The real challenge is to not cause malfunctions of applications that for some reason manipulate the frame latency in some strange ways (legit or not), the same issue of course apply to v-sync (though that issue should be easier) and swap-chain back-buffers (which is the main reason AMD fallows Microsoft recommendation to not interfere with application swap-chain manipulation, which can be really tricky).

Last edited by Alessio1989; 07-26-2017 at 19:10.

Old
  (#94)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Default 07-26-2017, 19:21 | posts: 5,747

Quote:
You are 100% correct

Quote:
Yes.
My question is will there be tearing with this new DVC when combined with FS.
I think yes

With AMD's Enhanced Sync(Nvidia's Fast Sync) there will be no tearing because only full frames are rendered. Also it should be possible to combine it with FreeSync (G-sync+Fast Sync is a working combo)

now... when..

Old
  (#95)
LocoDiceGR
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte R9 380 4G
Processor: Intel®Core i5 750 2.67Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P7P55-M
Memory: HyperX Fury @1866
Soundcard: SoundblasterZ
PSU: XFX TS 550w
Default 07-26-2017, 19:21 | posts: 683 | Location: Greece

https://gaming.radeon.com/radeonsoft...elive/vanguard

AMD announces Radeon Software Vanguard beta tester program & AMD announces Enhanced Sync...check videocardz for the articles!

Coming soon i guess!!!

Old
  (#96)
NvidiaFreak650
Member Guru

Default 07-26-2017, 21:04 | posts: 146

Quote:
Today AMD announces an alternative to VSync called Enhanced Sync. This is an option for those who do not own a FreeSync monitor, but still prefer lower latency in exchange for tearing. Enhanced Sync was developed to minimize tearing and improve the latency.

AMD provided a chart to illustrate when Enhanced Sync will be helpful. It won’t eliminate tearing, but it will improve the responsiveness for high FPS gaming.

AMD’s Enhanced Sync is a direct response to NVIDIA’s FastSync technology.

I was right, FreeSync + Enhanced Vsync is the way to go if you own a FreeSync monitor.