My 980ti SLI Hybrid vs 1080ti SLI Hybrid Videos

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by A M D BugBear, May 11, 2017.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I'll be working on some 1080ti SLI hybrid videos soon.

I'll even show clock for clock, comparing the two gpu's, should be very interesting, as well as overclocking results.

I only have 980ti sli videos up as of now.

Just started on theses videos recently, going to be working on many many more.

Check back sometime next week for some 1080ti sli videos.

Also, some benchmark or aka tech demos, only one gpu is working, so I'll be doing some 1 gpu tests.

If any games you all want me to test, let me know.

Mainly doing benchmark programs, then to games.

Also, Some benchmark is utilizing Absolutely ground breaking brutal Hybrid AA, to push the card down to its knees a bit.

Till then:

HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WmfBL9ZPgE&index=3&list=PLv7whYPHSlwQ6yVa28HyDXvEF92tuO0_Z

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Shadowmacx

Shadowmacx Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX 470
    Holy mother of God :dave: i'm waiting for AMD Vega to release their beast to the ring :arnie:

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Posted more 980ti stuff, working on others.

I'll try to get some 1080ti sli videos by end of this week.

The 1080ti videos will be on the same playlist, it will just come right after the 980ti video.

For instance, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for 980ti sli, then next video will be the same game but 1080ti sli.

Speaking about Deus Ex: They could have done better with the anti-aliasing, even alien isolation, without the alias isolation mod, still looks better, even @ 4k, I saw tons of aliasing in mankind divided, I can only crank it up so much because I was exceeding the frame buffer limit, Alien Isolation defint looks ALOT Cleaner in terms of IQ over Deus Ex, even Rise of tomb raider looks ALOT better(IQ), man your not kiddin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM4oN6j0cYw&t=152s&index=44&list=PLv7whYPHSlwQ6yVa28HyDXvEF92tuO0_Z

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, I modded my gpu bios, it now stays at constant 1481mhz on both gpu's, it does not throttle down like some of my videos that are up.

It was hitting the power target window, thus, gpu's are throttling down the speed a bit, after this mod, all fixed.

I might re-up some videos, but for the most part, I won't be changing them.

Last edited: May 27, 2017

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
  6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ultimate return of 3dmark 03, Cranked Absolute to the MAX!! and then some, can my hybrid TWINS handle a program that was made 14 years ago??

Watch the video's to find out, :)

03 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNeG4Zo7FQE&index=47&list=PLv7whYPHSlwQ6yVa28HyDXvEF92tuO0_Z

06 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM4oN6j0cYw&list=PLv7whYPHSlwQ6yVa28HyDXvEF92tuO0_Z&index=4&t=232s

These are demo's, actual benchmark is on my playlist, please watch "ALL" of my 980ti Videos and more.

UPDATE 6/22/17

I am uploading about 4 more videos, after this, I am done and I seriously mean it this time, I ain't going to do anymore, some of these videos takes FOREVER to upload, good lord.

Time for some break. Probably not going to put my 1080ti till my day's off from work, however, Once these 4 videos is done uploading, my 980ti videos is complete, this should be more then enough, thanks again.

Check back on my playlist, its going to be clock for clock going against each other, I'll try to keep it in the same clock range on each game tested, I don't think anyone has done this before, not that I know of, maybe stock for stock, but not like this.

Check back later, going to be some time before all the 1080ti videos is complete, NOT going to be anytime soon, :).

UPDATE AGAIN, :(

LOL, There is some games I totally forgot that should be on the playlist, Witcher III, going to try star citizen(even though I wanted to wait till at least next year and its way way WAYS off from completion). and others, I said I mise well do it now, once these 980ti's are out of the system, they ain't coming back in this system, putting it in my dad's system.

I'll try to get these games done by tonight, and uploaded them by tommorrow, :(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Per Request, someone asked me to do a 1080ti Firestrike ultra test, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRaO5s40vh0&index=8&list=PLv7whYPHSlwQ6yVa28HyDXvEF92tuO0_Z&t=1s

Update on the above video:

Even though I used default 2160p settings for firestrike ultra, I have output resolution on automatic, I now just tried putting it on 2160p, it will NOT work with dsr turned on because my screen does NOT have that particular resolution settings, therefore, I believe that when I set the output resolution to automatic, it just went straight towards 3840X2400, and not 3840X2160p, I can tell I had very few increased fps on the combined test when I used the custom resolution of 2160p, when I tried 2400p, I lost couple fps in the same exact area.

I'll shut off dsr and do custom resolution, check on a new video being uploaded.

This a SINGLE GPU Test, not 2, per request.

I'll do SLI Later.

UPDATE:

Had some DSR/Flickering issues, I created a new thread on this.

UPDATE: Video is done processing, 4k won't be available till later, check back later for 4k.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, Fixed all my throttling issues on my 1080ti TWINS, ALL FIXED!!!.

If any slight throttling, its from 46-49c range or higher, it goes down a notch.

I want to upload some stuff today but it's just to damn hot in here, even with ac at 60 degree's F, and a side fan to the gpus, and a HUGE fan blower towards the gpu, still can't maintain underneath 50, to hot, going to do it later during the night hours, where its more cool, to humid over here, real bad.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, I am Uploading firestrike ultra default settings(@ 2160p)

I am uploading single and sli videos.

Probably be done uploading and processed within like 2 hrs or so.

Watch very carefully of the OSD from precision XOC on the top left.

you will see very very slight throttle down on the second gpu, all because of temps.

I did a re-test to see if it will throttle down if it is cooler in the same scene, it does not throttle down, clearly its a temp issue.

Also, For thermal paste temp difference, higher temp is the AS5, the other one is Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut.

I applied first gpu the AS5, then didn't have anymore backed up, I had some left over for quite sometime, figured get some kyronaut, yes, some difference in temps, when the videos are up, take a good look at the temps.

Monitoring graph at the end of the videos, hope you all like it.

Final score will yield better results without the video recorder.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Firestrike ultra (2160p) default settings, both 1 gpu and sli is now up.

Uploading Unigine heaven 4.0 and Valley @ 4k(2400p) MAX!!.

Will be working on more later, thanks alot.

Tiny Throttling, Only due to temps. Man Does the Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut kicks A$$!!!.

Update:

LOL, those temp differences is mainly the second card, the heat builds up the 1st gpu, making it hotter, also, I tried them separately, runs alot cooler, 1st gpu.

I am currently now uploaded lost planet 4k max + 32xS + 8xsgssaa, Skydiver bench @ 5k(2880p) Completely maxed out(Added it for kicks), and Also added ROTR Bench @ 4k(2400p) MAX w/x2ssa.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Also, I am trying to experiment more on how to cool better with these cards.

I did however put a better cooling fan on the first(top) card, exhaust wise, both cards are in dual fan configuration(Push/pull).

I quickly put the second card more further down(Although my last testing didn't see to improve much at all), but this time, I put the huge Fan Face Fan next to the video cards, to see if will improve, it seems to improve a little bit, but there is one downfall when extending the video cards with more gap, here's what I found but more testing is needed, but as of now, this is what I found:

It appears to me that, when I do neck to neck sli(right next to each other), with the smallest sli hb bridge available, it seems my score is improved over the longer sli hb bridge(Video card's more spreaded out from one another).

I tested unigine valley again, @ 4k MAX!!, My score without the geforce experience recorder, while the card is spreaded out more, about 2.95k+, if its neck to neck, over 3k.

With the video recorder turned on, obviously there will be some performance decrease while the sucker is being turned on, after the bench is complete, the neck to neck sli, I get like almost 2.9k @ 69+fps, while if I had the card spreaded out more, I get this:

over 2,760 points!! @ 66.1fps!!.

So clearly during bench, there is differences, yes, but if playing the game lets say in similar fashion, won't tell jack difference, Other then maybe better temps in the long run.

I need to do more testing to confirm this, I am using the 2 slot sli hb bridge now, going back to the 0 slot and double check on its performance again.

Was going to create a new thread on this but decided to stick on to this thread as it pertains to these cards anyways.

Very very very very very interesting!!!

UPDATE:

Did several runs more to see if the score will improve or not.

Yes, I achieved better overall score if I keep my 2 1080ti close as possible, the 0 slot hb bridge performs better then the 2 slotted one.

Like I said, for benchmarks, it will make a difference, playing a game within similar settings/resolution,etc, Either or, doesn't matter, it is fine, temp wise, I notice when I am using the 2 slot hb bridge, the card can maintain better lower temps, but very little, I have not tested this setup in a very long run, so don't ask, if your doing quick benches, either or is fine, but far is long long time play, I would recommend the other way so the card can breath somewhat better.

Also, I personally tested DSR and custom resolution, want to know the results???

= NO DIFFERENCE, and far as image quality, = basically no difference and I look at everything, even the tiniest spot of flicker I can detect, guess this is a good sign, :)

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, Another heads up on ROTR and what I just found out.

Since I have alot more frame buffer over the 980ti, Now I can see how much it really utilizes within the same exact settings when I tested with the 2 980ti hybrids, and here is some very very staggering stuff I just recently found out:

during the ice/snow scene, 1st mission basically, utilizies roughly around 6gb-7gb vram(basically all of the 980ti frame buffer resources and more).

Then soon as it hit the next scene, the night/house scene, omfg, well over 9gb of vram!!!!, then into syria, almost 10GB, WOW!!.

So basically, when I tested the 980ti, some scene was well out of frame buffer, this means It was using the main physical ram as buffer(slower then vram).

Therefore, I might go back to the 980ti sli(once all my 1080ti videos are complete), and re-do the bench, this time, 4k max except texture(medium) and aa(ssaX2), this setting is like in the low 5gb vram(with recorder turned on to the max).

I just got done doing the video @ 4k(2400p) max @ ssaX2, Moves and looks extremely well.

Going to be uploading this one along with the medium texture one(so I can compare it to the 980ti sli later.

In the meantime, enjoy the videos.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GOOD NEWS with my experience with the 2 1080ti hybrid's, overclocked!!.

Not all, but some programs, I gotten Double to over Double the performance over my last 2 980ti's hybrid's, overclocked!!.

Most I have seen is roughly Double + somewhere around 33% to 1/2 performance increase, phew that is ALOT!.

Not all will do this obviously, so please take this into consideration, only certation situation within a program will give this boost, it is not all the time, only at a certain given time it will, this is why I go with sick a$$ quality settings, to put much stress to the gpu's, this way I can see how much performance increase from my last 2 980ti's to this, end results, I am very happy with the results, Over double?? that is More then excellent, most of the thanks goes to the 2nd psu, without it, FORGET IT!!!!!!!, and the XOC NO LIMIT BIOS!!.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, working on a upload right now, It will blow everyone's socks off, I don't think anyone has uploaded this before.

Check back on my playlist in few hrs, Awesome!!

It will be my newest uploads.

UPDATE:

Video is up on my playlist, have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX2rJrqAF_k&index=1&list=PLv7whYPHSlwQ6yVa28HyDXvEF92tuO0_Z

On the playlist, look at video #3 and 4.

You all going to love it, and you all won't believe your eyes.

Also, check out all my videos on the playlist, More comin'.

UPDATE:

Now uploading: Mass Effect 1 @ 4k MAX + MEUTIM Texture Mod + Modded .ini file + Nvidia Inspector: Overide AA: 16xS(2x2ss + 4xmsaa) Along with +4xSgssaa.

Even with this heavy Duty Quality settings, I can still detect some flickering here and there, but overall outstanding quality, not perfect but very good.

Excellent Gpu Utilization on both gpus, Excellent!!!!!, 100% for the most part.

Every game is going to be different, some games need tons of aa, some don't, even at 4k max, some games still needs extra injection, BAD!

Same Exact quality settings as the 2 980ti videos I did in the past.

More then Excellent Results, Some instances, I gained Well over double the performance over the 2 980ti Hybrids, Overclocked.

Only thing bad about the game with the dual 1080ti's:

While using the Shadowplay, sucker quits during the into, doesn't do it before MEUTIM Mod from what it seems but the only way around this is to delete the:

BioEngine.ini file, then restart game, then quit, then re-mod the .ini file, make sure gpu,etc clocks all set to go, then launch game, only get one chance on this, otherwise have to re-mod the .ini file all over again cause the intro will hang.

More like Double in a half range give or take. Awesome Results, These cards are very very fast, no doubt about it, in the end, better then I originally thought, double and a half? No comment, :)

Can't imagine what volta is going to bring to the table, yum yum.

UPDATE:

Crashing problems fixed within ME1, I didn't patch the darn game with LAA(Large Address Aware), now its all good.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  15. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok just tried doom(2016) 5k on ultra settings(same settings as the 980ti sli videos), I can't do nightmare with 5k with the 980ti's, out of frame buffer, had to use ultra settings.

Ok, Couple of things I need to point out here:

During 5k testing @ ultra settings w/txaaX8, Gpu utilization with the 2 980ti's were prettie much excellent, whereas on the 1080ti's, usage is like upper 60's to 70's, on both gpu's, the 980ti had better utilization, I think mainly because since the 1080ti card's are much faster, cards saying wtf are these pos settings, lol, No need to use all gpu's power, cut it by 25%, lol.

This is the main Reason why I use Sgssaa on my bench test videos, as it does put tremendous amounts of stress to the gpu's, yes, but the key factor is it keeps gpu usage @ 99-100% at ALL times, this is the reason why I use higher quality filters to keep usage up, and now look, doom @ 5k ultra w/txaaX8 aint using both gpu's at no where near 100% on both gpu's, cards to fast for it, lol.

Using the max payne 3 bits, same bits I used on my last 980ti's, If I can't get the gpu utilization corrected, I will do 5k ultra w/txaaX8 with ONLY one gpu, since the gpu utilization is not all that great, prettie much got no choice, I'll try to make it work, I'll see what I can do.

UPDATE:

I tried for kicks, SFR, I gotten both gpus to almost 100% utilization, however, it is slower then AFR2, and AFR2 ain't using no where near 100%, 60's to upper 70's(Gpu usage).

This means, I going straight to single gpu mode on this one, I'll still keep the 2 980ti sli video up for reference...

Excellent Update:

Tested 1 gpu under open gl 4.5, since the last 2 980ti sli videos were under open gl, I did the same settings, Yup, Very good results, about double the performance then the single 980ti overclocked, Just double checked my back up 2 980ti sli video overclocked, about same performance, Very fast.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok so far the uploads are doing fine.

Just got done doing batman: Arkham knight @ 4k and 5k test, one gpu, both bench test and gameplay.

Very very playable @ 5k(3200p) Custom Settings + BMT tool(prettie much set to max)

Sli had problems with my last 2 980ti's, so I am doing only single gpu test.

This is one very very very fast card, Batman looks fantastic @ 5k(3200p), very very playable.

Also you think Aquamark3 was old, I am uploading something older, and this will be the last one I am uploading that is this old.

lol, Gotta love this one. Both Single and sli test @ 4k MAX + Modded .ini + enhance 32xS+8xSgssaa.

And yes the Enhance aa is 100% defint working, already checked several times to make sure these hybrid aa settings are working, absolutely.

On this particular game, Sli had so-so to Excellent scaling on both gpu's.

Xoc precision osd works with this game but I had issue with the sli scaling, if your staying still is fine, soon as you start moving, sli usage drops a bit, so I used fraps instead.

On single gpu test, Excellent, Excellent gpu usage, basically 99% all across.

Throw in some Very very old and Absolute classic game @ 4k MaX + Unbelievable Graphic filters turned on to the mix.

Oh just a reference, This game I am working on uploading now, This game came out Before the Geforce 1 gpu came out, And still, I can still put the card to its knees a bit, It is still blistering fast, but I can still put it down ALOT.

Game also plays Extremely well, Probably better then today's games, Absolute smooth, Extremely fast.

Check out my playlist for new videos. Working on them, you don't want to miss it, absolutely unbelievable.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKXqAMMGOmE&t=302s

Check out the sli version as well.

Also, Witcher III @ 4k(2400p) MAX+SupremeUltimateExtreme(3 layers above ultra settings) modded .ini settings were also used(Same as the 2 980ti sli videos I made eariler).

Processing is almost done, check back later.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  18. Artas1984

Artas1984 Guest

As a previous owner of SLI GTX980 Ti Strix OC video cards, i know how to get SLI working in my tested games (not all of them i play though). In certain games SLI scaling would not exist, until you crank up some AA settings. I already have SLI GTX980 Ti benchmarks done in 20 games at 2560x1440 res. with custom AA in every game, i am now waiting to buy GTX1080 Ti to see how they compare.

PS: i don't have patience to see every separate video for every separate game. Though this is good for those who look for those games, i like how i present benchmarks to folks: get as many games as possible tested in single video.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
  19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Some games I am forced to do single gpu on the 1080ti because, When I was doing a particular testing on a certain program, both gpu's are using 99-100% utilization, now when I go to the 1080ti sli within the same exact quality settings, I dont use 80% on both gpu's, games like doom @ 5k(3200P) MAX, I was forced to do so because the 1080ti sli is just to fast for it.

There will be quite a few programs for the 980ti sli that I will have to re-compare all over again, all because the 1080ti sli usage was not using no where near 100%, Again, Mass Effect Andromeda is another.

I had to re-fine tune the darn game to use less then 6gb frame buffer and try to use the most utilization on my 1080ti sli because, there was certain settings I used back on the 980ti sli, was using well over 6gb, thus had to use the system ram as a buffer which in return utilizes much slower ram compared to onboard Video Ram on the gfx card.

Speaking about MEA, there is one particular setting that is absolutely BRUTAL on the vram:

Depth of field!!

When this is cranked from high to ultra @ 4k(2400p), The vram goes from mid to high 5gb vram to a whopping near 9gb of vram, most of the vram is during cutscenes, I almost died when I saw the vram, Good lord.

And another thing, Some games like MEA, I have to reduce the video recording quality big time in order to keep the 6gb barrier in place, cause I am re-comparing it to the 980ti sli that I have to re-do again, Alot of work.

At 4k(2400p) Max Recording bitrate quality, eats 400+mb of vram, so I am forced to keep it under in order to keep the 6gb vram barrier.

I will be uploading a 4k max MEA video later, right now, I ain't playing any game, I am all focusing on 1080ti uploads at the moment, then go back to 980ti.

I should have done benchmark first on the 1080ti, monitor vram,etc, this way I can better use this knowledge on the 980ti sli, oh well, to late now, some stuff I have to do all over again, learned alot from the 1080ti, some stuff I never knew.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Can you run any of the Metro games by chance? Sorry I did not read the whole thread if you already benched it.I might be upgrading to a 1080ti in a couple of months (actually whole new system) So it would be nice to have a comparison between my Gtx 980 vs a 1080ti- I heard they are twice as fast if not more so Yeah impressive to say the least. Thank you for your hard work.