About switching jobs

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by AsiJu, Aug 28, 2014.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hello!

I'm about to apply for a new job and I'm not sure how I should deal with my current employer.
    Should I "warn" them that I'm seeking a new job?

Or can/should I just keep my mouth shut until I get an interview call (if I do)?

I'd like to give contact information from my current job as reference, but if I do, then I suppose I must tell the GM I'm applying for a job and given him as reference?

I don't want to piss anyone off here at my current job (more than necessary).
    Plus if I don't get the new job, I don't want people here bitching at me about it.

Another thing is that I'm not easily replaced if I go, so I can't just pick up and leave. But neither do I want to shoot myself in the leg by telling too much too early...

All input welcome.

2. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I would wait until you get interview and get an offer for a new job, then tell current employer you are leaving.

Dont know how it works in Finland tho. We have hider another guy at hour place but he is still working at his old job for 4 weeks as its his leave notice time.

3. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I personally kept my mouth shut until I signed the new work contract.

4. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    my opinion as employer and former employee..

It should not be kept a secret ,

Deal with it in a friendly-private approach with your employer , thus assuring disclosure among co-workers . Explain the reasons behind it and give him the opportunity to consider a counter-offer perhaps.

include current status on your CV and application.

In case your current employer is a d#ck , keep it to yourself until you get the new job, just let the new employer know that you are currently occupied and need some time before getting to work.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    wait until you got your job offer.

After doing so, just tell your boss that u'll be switching jobs in X days. Try to make this X as big as possible so they have time to adapt.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Was thinking about something like that. The GM is a very polite and reasonable guy actually, but who knows what happens...

I have described my current job at the application/CV, but should I omit the reference information atm?

I don't want my GM hearing about this the first time via a phone call from my would-be employer.

7. Constant

Constant Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7990@1115 1.290v
    You have to value your influence and relationship with GM ,and act accordingly..

What's his own background ? what would he do if he were you ?

also consider that quiting your job creates a HUGE HEADACHE to your employer... they have to post offers , run cv's , interviews etc.... meaning "COST" and effort...

This comes down to personal relationships i guess....

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If your relationship with the GM is good then you should talk about your plans. It makes your current employers easier to deal with when you leave and they have the time to adapt and get someone to take your post over. Since if you ain't easily replaced. If you are honest you will get good recommendations.

If GM is an ******* and relationship is poor then never say a thing...

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Problem is that you say that you are looking for a job, and you DONT get a job, you'll get replaced anyways (or at least chances increase), as the process already started.

So thinking on yourself, keep it for you unless:
    a) You know ur getting a better job for sure.
    b) Your position is somehow important but not critical and they won't replace you unless you leave (aka you do things which improve everything else's work, but is not like a client will blame the company if no one does that, so they can afford a few months without you).

Company is not your family, even if relationships are good and you can tell them something, you have to differentiate personal things from work things (which doesn't mean be an ass with your co-workers, just dont take stricitly work related stuff as personal). IMO.

Also keep in mind that my opinion is based mostly on Spanish IT job market, which while is not the worst one here, is still a place where are more workers than (decent) positions :), so we have to play safe.

10. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    NEVER say anything till youve signed the contract with your new job. I once did, which ended up with me having no job at all.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Its a 2-way relationship, some employers desirve the notice while other a-holes do not!I remember workiny for a certin computer store who shall remain nameless I never complained about anything and always went out of my way to complete any task assigned to me, If a truck was to be unloaded and merchindise put away within the 8 hour shift I would try and do it in 2-3 hours, any other issue that popped-up or needed attention I was there! I quit beacuse they hired a new guy thats lazy as hell and still gave him 40hrs while keeping me at 20hrs, it hurt me alot that I put in all that effort for nothing basicly! Theres never a bad student only a bad teacher, the Operations manager was a dick who only promoted people that laughed at his jokes, I dont kiss anyones ass thats my problem.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, it's a bit complicated and I have mixed emotions about how I should proceed.

I know I won't be replaced unless I leave, so that's a bit of backup which could allow me to give the "warning".
    Know because they've trained me for the job I do themselves. Plus I do a lot of supplementary tasks too which the other engineers aren't probably even capable of doing, such as design and drawing for manufacturing.

I suppose they deserve me being honest about what I'm going to do... sigh.
    If they take it well, it could actually help facilitate me leaving them.
    Plus I actually have worked out a suggestion on how they could fill in the gap without even hiring a replacement.

That's saving money, so they'll love it!

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I think you schould be honest if they desirve it, if they treat you like **** which in most situations thats the case I wouldnt even bother telling them anything.Do whats best for you, who cares if they lose money its not coming out of your pocket!

Besides nothings written in stone, you or the employer has the right to terminate the contract at any time.Now if the employer is actually good then I wouldnt just leave them hanging.Treat others the way they treat you thats my opinion.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well, that's kinda another conundrum here...

basically, as an employer, they treat me OK, but I also get crap shoved down my throat quite often (there's a reason I'm considering a switch).
    Sometimes it feels like every single thing is my responsibility and every single mistake made my fault.
    Even if I wouldn't have had anything to do about the matter in the first place!

I'm also completely unable of kissing anyones ass, so maybe they "pick" on me because of that.

Lot of older, male engineers (especially in Finland) seem to consider lack of ass-kissing as disrespect.

"Respect your elders" yeah right... I'll respect anyone who earns it and no one who doesn't, regardless of age!

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Okay, I sent the application this morning.

I politely asked the company to handle my application confidentially until a possible interview.

I'm also gonna talk to my GM once he arrives at work today, give him a heads-up.
    If he gets pissed at me, it just confirms that it's my time to move on imo.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Out of curiosity what line of work? I know I'm is being appreciated here in my work place even tho I am 10 to 32 years younger then everyone else. Cause we are a team and we work as a team. But yeah respect is earned not something "you have to cause older"

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ mechanical engineering.

Though my current job doesn't purely match my education, which is also why I want to move on.
    The job I'm applying for has more to do with machine construction and design.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Spamming my own thread here...

so I talked to the GM and he was as understanding as I hoped, thankfully.
    I told him that the economical situation is the main reason for me looking for options.
    Not entirely true, but so what...

We agreed that until I get an interview call, this will be kept strictly between us.

If I don't get to an interview, I'll continue working as usual and we can forget about it.

19. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Good man. I was actually going to suggest not talking to your boss; jobs are like girlfriends to a degree... If you tell them you're not completely satisfied that you're looking at other options, even if you stay together in the end there will be a lingering bad feeling...

But if it went well then congrats!

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm, I would have kept it to myself until I actually get the job. No need in telling people at work that you're looking to leave. You haven't even had the interview.