Guru3D PC Buyers Guide Winter 2012

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guru3D offers you their bi-annual PC Buyers Guide, this is the 2012 Winter slash Christmas edition. This article brings you a set of recommendations of products we feel are great components to build y...

Guru3D PC Buyers Guide Winter 2012

2. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Nice guide. I can't seem to find anything about suggested monitors in there. I will look again as I have just woken up :)

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The guide is just the overall PC build, no mouse, keyboards and monitors.

4. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Ok. Cheers Don. Thought I read monitors too! *drinks more coffee fast*

:bang:

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    LOL quote from first paragraph in article: "Monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers are not included. We do this for brevity's sake, as the monitor alone would require its own guide, especially if I were to cover LCD monitors."

6. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    DOHH!

Can we have a monitor guide then? lol

Soooo want an expert opinion and round-up of latest and greatest monitors for gaming. Will mooch around The HTPC, HDTV & High Definition section instead!

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    This. Would love in depth reviews regarding monitors/tv's ranging from 24-32'' .

8. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    7850HD low-range???
    Then what category am i into?
    Lol, with 6850, i am may be in no-range category.
    And, in low range i think fx6300 would be better option than i3-3220.:)
    Nice guide though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  9. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I would love monitors guide as well.

10. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970

My "lan rig" (which usually sits under my desk opposite my main rig but I digress) has a ECS mobo ($50.00 ), Intel G540 (2.5Ghz no HT, also $50.00), 2x2Gb of the cheapest DDR3 ram kit (18.99 at time of purchase) on newegg and a 6870 and it still does better in games than most people here would even be willing to admit to :banana:

Even in RTS games it has managed to impress me quite a bit.

Since most games still support DX9 our "old" cards are more than overkill if you aren't worried about running with the latest 32xSLIQXSGAA and post processing "injectors", etc, etc.

11. Sarex

Sarex Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    I see the OCZ Vertex 4 is not recommended. Is it because of the memory controller, and is the Samsung 840 pro 128gb really better than the Vertex 4?(I'm planing to buy a SSD and was going to go for Vertex 4)

12. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    I (and I think most people here) would tell you to go Samsung over OCZ any day of the week. Even if OCZ made a faster drive I think the reputation Samsung has built vs OCZ speaks for itself.

13. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    yeah.I agree.
    But the funny thing is, in game, your lan-rig is powerful than my/our main-and-only pc.
    Strange.:p

14. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I really think the guide should mention the something like the A10-5800k for budget gaming (like really budget). You can do with the integrated graphics on that one and it overclocks really nicely. Not to say that the i3 3220 is a bad choice, but still I think the AMD deserves to be mentioned :nerd:
    Performance wise they are pretty much in the same league and it's cheaper (plus you don't need a dedicated GPU).

Good guide, a monitor guide would be interesting I agree.

15. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    You'll note that I did not recommend any of the new SSD's, for Samsung I recommended the 830's. Reliability of SSD's has been... disappointing. So many firmware problems and drive failures, so it's really best to let the new drives have some time on the market to see if they're going to be worth buying and any bugs get resolved with firmware updates. Even then well... Crucial's latest firmware update failed to work on my 256 GB Crucial M4. If I had to choose I'd definitely take the Samsung 840 Pro over the Vertex 4, both for performance and past reliability.

Monitors are tricky to make a guide to because different people want different things from their monitors and what one person can see another cannot, which can make such a guide rather subjective.

The 7850 is a fantastic deal and I'm glad I could put it in my budget gaming PC guide, you can find these for as low as 160 USD. I really wish Intel would make a K series for the i3 series, something for the overclockers on a budget. Overall though the price of the low end gaming PC even with a 3570K and 7850 would run you only about 800 USD, that's not a lot. There was a time when I set my guides by budget and the budget gaming PC was 1000 USD :p

16. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    If you're using integrated graphics, you're not building a gaming machine. Integrated graphics are fine for some light, casual gaming; nothing more. At least not right yet. I expect this will change with future generations. I really wish I could could have recommended an AMD processor, the new Piledriver is a definite improvement over their Bulldozer fiasco. Head to head they do very well with Intel's processors (especially for multithreaded tasks) for the money... except for gaming. That poor single core performance means in any game not GPU limited they get stomped by Intel processors. And a gaming PC guide was what I was putting together.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'm gonna have to second this.

18. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Nice guide boss.

19. deefop

deefop Member Guru

GPU:
    HiS 7870 + Asus 7870 CF
    This guide always seems so misguided... The mid end and high end PC's are pretty well thought out hardware wise, but the low end PC's are never smart buys at all.

It's perfectly possible to put a low end gaming PC together, even for a target of 1080p, that won't run you more than 300-400$.

Why would you recommend a core i3 for a low end build?
    The Phenom II, while admittedly outdated, is 94.99$ on Newegg right now with free shipping. It's an ACTUAL 4 core CPU which can easily be overclocked into the 4ghz range, and for a budget PC I can't understand why you would ever recommend anything else. It will absolutely stay even with the Ivy bridge dual cores in modern games, unless you're doing artificial benchmarking at 640x480, which nobody is doing.

And the 7850 for a low end GPU? really? How about a 6850 for less than 140$, or even a 6770 for less than 100$

Granted those are LOWER END but thats the point of a budget gaming PC isn't it?

Even if you buy a 955BE and a 6770, you're already at about 200$. That's a good chunk of money for a low end budget PC build.

And an SSD? There is no way that an SSD should be included in a budget PC build, for gaming or otherwise. While they're amazing performance wise, they are extremely expensive and offer practically no storage space. HDD's are the only viable option on a low budget. A 128GB SSD gives you enough room for an OS, a couple programs, and maybe 3 or 4 games before you've maxed it out.

Why not spend half the money on a 500GB HDD and have enough room for plenty of games and all the programs you'll ever need?

The h60 recommendation seemed a little weird too... what about all the fantastically performing budget air coolers that are cheaper? The hyper 212+ is half the price(or less, I got mine for 15$ when it was on sale on newegg) and still gives a ton of performance. My 1055t is at 3.9ghz on a 212+ and barely goes over 50c.

I chaffed a little at the gtx 680 recommendation too... has there ever been a card that was worse in the price/performance category? You can get a 670 for over 100$ less, some of them are even going for 350$ on newegg, and it's only a couple percentage points of performance difference. Now granted that's for a high end build, but if you're trying to get really high end why not buy 2 670's and SLI them for 700$, rather than a single 680 for 500$?

And bare in mind that almost ALL of my accumulated knowledge(or more accurately memorized statistics) comes from reading hardware reviews on Guru3d.

But every time one of these buyer guides comes out I feel like they do a bad job on the low end segment. I feel like a lot of it could be more well thought out, especially if you actually consider the prices of various components across the board(which would seem to be the point of the article).

20. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    You're absolutely wrong. You can put together a budget PC that is capable of playing some games at that price, but it won't be a gaming PC. Let's refer to our Far Cry 3 benchmarks: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,6.html. You certainly won't be able to crank up the graphics settings at 1080p with a Phenom II and a Radeon 6850.