Top single GPU's just became obsolete (crysis 3)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by lorikano, Feb 20, 2013.

1. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
  2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    So you are saying that you need to play at maximum settings? LMAO (all this fest because of one single game that lasts 5-6h?The MP seems to be a bit boring, so i've heard on the video reviews in the Youtube)

And not everyone plays in fullhd...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    I won't lie when I say that if I was about to buy a top GPU I would expect to play all very high no matter what game ,thats why we have High End GPU's and they are meant to do just that - play 'very high'

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yea true. I used to be like that, it was either max settings at my max resolution and I had to have 60fps no matter what!

But now I simply dont card anymore. If I have to turn a setting off or tweak an .ini file a little or use a mod then so be it. As long as the game is fun then I dont care. And my single HD7970 did very well in the multiplayer beta. Getting 45fps at max settings with 8XAA everything on Ultra. So not bad, but I set the game to low preset, added 4xAA, Hi-res textures enabled, and it still looks insanely good with fps always above 60.

One more thing to think about, its pretty funny how Crysis 3 has just come out... and Nvidia are releasing a brand new GPU (TITAN) and our already very powerful cards are struggling in a game that looks barely any different from low to Ultra settings.... Think about that for a while, just take that in.... We know Nvidia and ATI used to pay developers to botch the games code or drivers so that the game would break on the others cards or would perform terrible in order to sell more cards. So why not do it to your own cards, whilst you release this all powerful overpriced card...??

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yes you are right they are meant to play very high and they can on most games. Don't blame the manufacturers, blame the devs who cant be bothered to optimize their games properly, or blame console manufacturers for holding out on the new consoles for so long. Believe it, our cards even the previous gen cards, and even the previous ones before them, and before them are so much more powerful than consoles its silly. If you watched the John Carmack keynote at Quakecon he stated this to no end going out his way to destroy current consoles hardware and say that he was simply dumbfounded when he started working on consoles at time of release and how powerful they were but then within a year PC hardware took over and now, and this is what he said, we have graphics cards that are 10x the power of consoles if used right.

6. Derko1

Derko1 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080s
    The other thing to not forget here... is that these "top of the line" GPUs came out around a year ago. So yea. That's all.

I've got two 7970s... so I'm fine. :banana:

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I'll share secret. Game playability in not as much decided by hardware you run it on, but developers makes decisions on which technology to use.

If I make High Density Voxel based engine as base for environment and then use raytracing to calculate accurately all shadows, lightning, color diffusion, ...
    You would have to wait for next gen hardware in matter of lovely quantum based computers.

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    GTX 680 and 7970 are more than enough for everyone, omg i can't run crysis 3 on FULL MAXED with 60fps all the time.. biggie..., i use mix of high and very high with 2xsmaa and i get 80-100+- FPS.

As long as game entertaining that all that account.

9. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Agreed, a game, playing, entertainment, not like your watching a tech demo or anything. :)

10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Crysis 3 to me is a tech demo, with minor elements of gameplay made in manipulative way to give it an impression of full fledged gaming experience.

Something close to the lines of 3Dmark's tech demo's, but evolved to be playable and with a story.

I'd take Crysis 3 performance with a pinch of salt...in recognizing it as making GPU's obsolete as a game.

11. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Your brain is outdated this game is not optimized for current generation card they just made a benchmark tool for PC by porting codes of the game from consoles. If one game dont run smooth on ur GPU and others works perfectly then its game problem not ur GPU fault.

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Does Crysis 3 have the huge river of un-seen tessellation underground that only boosts GPU usage for no reason (this exists in Crysis 2)?

13. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    USe sweetfx for smooth lines instead AAx8(why the hell so high??) and all ur games will do fine with max settings at ~60 FPS.
    I'll stick with my new card 2 or 3 years...like with last 1, 6850 oced msi...that is on my sec PC now. And still doin fine...wit c2d processor@3.6ghz, muuuch better than previous 8800GT, can even play bf3 or fc3 with decent settings in FHD.

14. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    did they ever add any destruction to it at all? or is it still a pretty version of CoD?
    ..and just as boring? :p

15. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Seriously lol my god, it's 2013, 1080p could not be any MORE bog standard, this is the BASIC resolution, just because some rare individuals are stuck a few years back, does not mean the bog standard BASIC 1080p resolution of today should not be the landmark and the starting point for performance analysis.

I very much agree with this and I feel very similar, not exactly the same, but I for sure agree with the principle of this, specially with the price they are charging for high end GPU's these days.

I VERY much agree with this to a point, but be careful with the Don't blame the manufacturers bit, because I assure you, if a game is well optimized, Nvidia will actually PAY THEM to make it more demanding, for example, Crysis 2, and Borderlands 2, the MOMENT a game is well optimized it totally NEGATES the need to buy a new GPU, anybody who does not think this goes on is EXTREMELY clueless.

look into it.

I stopped reading after those posts as this thread is only going to wind me up when people BLINDLY jump in to defend Nvidia/ATI etc.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

16. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I would like to think I can run Very High at FXAA or SMAA Low like I did in the Beta. Was getting 50-60fps at those settings on my card.

17. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    What the point in releasing a game with settings that cannot be used for 3 years.

It's because they are in league with Nvidia 'The way it's meant to be played' (no, literally) to sell GPU's and provide a sense of urgency to upgrade, somebody with a GTX 580 is doing Nvidia NO GOOD WHATSOEVER.

18. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    In part your right, its not a tech demo. BUT comparing games at max settings that run average to games with high frame rate, the experience completely changes for me, from meh to completely Immersive. This is especially important if you are using 120hz, which on a side note has the same impact for me.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yep, no problem.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    in times when some use 2-3 way sli I don't expect every new game to max out on a single gpu. tbf there's been games that needed uber rigs ever since I remember.