Sennheiser HD558 or something else?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by signex, Oct 4, 2013.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm looking to get a pair of headphones this month, atm i'm using Asus Vulcan Pro's.

I did some research and find that HD558 is the best for it's price (121 euro)
    Someone said they are better then Audio Technica HM50 or something wich are said to be the best headphones for under 150 bucks.

I like punchy bass, mostly listen to dance/hardstyle/hardcore/house/electro.

Has anyone ever heard these or have owned them?

Also going to use it for gaming and watching movies.

2. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I have never heard them, but I do know that they are a highly regarded set of cans.

I don't think you will be disappointed in them.

You are definitely on the right track in getting a good quality set of headphones.

They look pretty cool too.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Ever since i've heard Sennheiser headphones few years ago i've been in love with them.

I own a very cheap one for my MP3 when i traveled with the train alot they even sound bloody amazing,
    i can't wait to get my hands on these wich are way more expensive,
    i have very high hopes. :D

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm personally a fan of the range you've bought into, and Sennheiser in general. It's a major reason I ended up using the HD650's which are my current main cans. I've found it pretty much impossible to replace them. I'm not sure whether the 558's will exactly suit your needs, but I hope that they do. I look forward to impressions, and highly suggest some minor mods with them.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yes i've seen the mod on youtube pretty easy to do, i might do that.

And holy cow that HD650 is expensive. :D

The major reason i want HD558 is they are very very comfy i've heard from alot of reviewers, all the headsets/headphones i've owned hurt my ears and are very uncomfortable.

Strange is the Asus Vulcan fits around my ears but still hurts a little bit.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The 558's are very similar to the 598's, which I own a pair of. They're incredibly comfortable so I understand exactly what you mean. As for the 650's, they can be expensive. They also keep their value when looked after, as most decent headphones do. I became a little obsessed with audio a few years ago and the HD650's were more or less my peak, lol.

I really look forward to hearing your impressions, and as I said look into mods for the 558's. There's a few out there and some are quite easily done and shouldn't void warranty. Another thing of note is that even out of warranty Sennheiser will service your cans for a small fee (and they do the works on them, the fee for fixing should something go wrong is less than what you'd pay for replacing parts).

Edit: I misread due to being half asleep. You might want to reconsider, your bass wants might not be suited to the 558's. While they're fantastic cans it comes down to perception, what do you feel is good bass? For many it's just boomboomboom, whether it's distorted or not. That might be why you've quoted MTH-50's which are well known for it (but imo sound like crap). The 558's have so-so bass that's presented accurately. It wont blow your mind.

7. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    I started with the Sennheiser HD555's and they were great for the pricepoint, and my lack of knowledge at the time. My next upgrade was a set of beyerdynamic DT150's. Out of the box, they were worlds better, and only ~$100cdn more. If i had known about this company/model previous, I would have bought them first. Built like a tank, interchangable parts, really good sound as well. Id recommend them for a bit more cash, but totally worth it.

I found the HD555's were built fairly decently but the arms were quite fragile over time, which is ultimately where they started to crack and eventually broke. They lasted about 4 years for me, good starter set, but if i had to to it over, I would have started with the bd DT150's first. Just my $.02. :)

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    My friend has 558s that I've listened to. Very comfortable and sound great but they are somewhat bass light.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Hmm that's not good to hear, i do like some bass, i might have to go out and listen to some.

I think our local media markt or saturn i can listen/try some headphones.

edit: Sony MDR-V55 seems to also be a great choice, good bass and excellent sound quality alot of people say.

They come in white wich i really like!
    Only cost 44,99 euro/55-60 dollars.

10. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I am not a fan of boomy bass, either.

I do not want to feel the bass, or have it muddy up the rest of the music....I prefer tight, fast accurate bass....it helps keep the detail of everything else intact.