[Build/casemod log] GAME HARD, FOLD HARDER

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Hukkel, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    [​IMG]

The purpose:
    Because once you start modifying PCs you need another shot time and time again I have decided to build something for myself this time. I have made previous builds for others. One modified but still held back due to money concerns. This time it is for me and no cutting corners. I did want it to serve a purpose. For this build I am completely removing two purposes of my regular family PC. Which is gaming and folding. Especially folding will be the big purpose. Most of the time it will be used for folding 24/7. The build title is an adaptation of a line one of my sponsors uses. KFA2 uses "Play hard, game harder", for this project I have adapted it to "Game hard, Fold harder". Which basically means this build can be used for heavy high resolution high FPS gaming, but for a larger portion of the day it will be used to aid (medical) research through folding using software of FOLDING@HOME and B.O.I.N.C. The high end hardware will serve both purposes very well.
    At a later point I will explain more what folding is all about for those that are not completely up-to-date with the term folding. I hope to promote the cause that is folding to a large audience with this buildlog.

The plan:
    The plan is to completely modify a Silverstone TJ07. The theme will be completely black with orange accents. The shape that will be used a lot is that of the hexagon. About every panel of the case will see some sort of modifying. But it won't be a screaming build. It will be tastefull and have a clean look. The build will be using a i7-3770k (at first at least), overclocked to what the custom watercooling loop can handle. So max overclock for a 24/7 working system. It will feature the famous Samsung low voltage overclocking ram (also OC'd to the max) and two or three Nvidia GTX670 cards again under water and max overclocked. All wiring will see full custom sleeving. There will be multiple windows (with engravings). The cooling hoses that will be in sight are going to be made of acryl / plexi tubing. That is if it won't hamper the cooling performance too much. I don't want to spoil everything yet since that takes away the fun for me. I will update the thread in a chronological way. I want to keep some stuff a secret to hopefully surprise a few members.

Execution:
    I have started the build a few weeks / months back. I didn't want to start a buildlog untill I could keep the thread flowing for a while with updates. I am not done with this build/mod yet. It will take a good amount of weeks to finish it. Sadly I am not a millionaire to buy everything day 1 ;).

First things first. The cse itself. I bought it used (because it was cheap and because I was going to modify it anyway). So here are a few pictures of her. Look at what the previous owner did. :(

The complete front full of ugly stickers, a big touchscreen fancontroller and knobs. YUCK. An additional top fan for who knows what reason. Holes in the top mesh and glue to fix it :facepalm: he case was even missing one of it's casefeet. How can you lose one of those?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next update: cleaning this baby up. Looking at the damage done and fixing her up.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    What was the previous owner thinking?!

'Orange accents' you going for the GA-Z77X-UP7?

3. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    You should have seen it with the hardware in it. It was like a Las Vegas light show. I think the lights used more power than the hardware itself. :/

About the mobo; I order a mobo a few days back after my current P67 mobo didn't support Ivy Bridge. You might just be right about it ;)

Lets do another update.

Lets first show a few pieces I will be using I received at that time. I had more photos of stuff, but I decided not to use that and other hardware instead.

I got this in a trade, a nice, clean looking Scythe 12 fan controller. This should work great with my radiator(s). It should be able to power them and keep them quiet enough. I love the style of it, really fits my case in my opinion.

[​IMG]

A brand new XSPC dual bay reservoir deisnged for a D5 pump.
    This is going to look and work great for this build. And I sooo like the look of it. Not screamy with the faceplate on. Space saving yet powerfull.

[​IMG]

I found a store in my 4k inhabitants town that does powdercoating. They overcharged me like crazy in my opinion asking 100 euros for powdercoating the internals of my build. But I didn't feel like travelling for it and I wanted to get it done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But before I could bring the parts to the shop I had to strip her completely clean including drilling out almost all rivets.

[​IMG]

The sun was shining, the parts were in. Time to do some assembling. To much loose parts, time to combine it.

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures of her current state, I haven't fitted the sidepanels yet because I want to use thumbscrews for that but somehow the sidepanels have holes big enough to fit those wide fanscrews. So the thumbscrews I had didn't do the job very well. I have ordered other thumbscrews but now I have received (few weeks after these photos) a big pile of black 6-32 screws in different lengths with washers and nuts I might just go full screws and washers on the backside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TUNNELVISION :cool:

[​IMG]

What I didn't make pictures of is the two front bay covers I removed the stickers from. They look like new now and ready to use.

Parts that are on their way to me now:

- some Alphacool fitting, D5 pump, 16/10 hosing, black 6-32 screws;
    - new stock top mesh and about 5 front bay covers (take a look at what that animal did to its poor top mesh :mad:

[​IMG]

4. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    What do we have here.... a package. I like unpacking :lmaosmile

[​IMG]

This is how one should pack this stuff, quality.

[​IMG]

All kinds of stuff; 2 new case feet, a mobo backplate with an extension part and combs. Beautiful combs :drool: Some screws, clips for cables and a huge bunch of bay covers. Oh almost forgot, a hexx PSU plate with dustfilter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NUUUUU moar tunnelvision

[​IMG]

Showing the difference between the standard one and the new hexx one.

[​IMG]

A few more pictures of the motherbord. I think it truely is a work of art. Companies should give us such mobo plates standard in high end cases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything installed. My case had one dented foot and one was missing so it was very unstable. Now it sits exactly right.

[​IMG]

These aren't really flashy parts or updates. But I think in the end such parts make the difference between a nice mod and a great mod. The sleeved cables will be presented perfectly this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

5. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    Time to give those 3 heads and the mobo spacers a nice black coat. No one sees them...but I know they are black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will leave these here. They're renders of the grills I designed to be used on this case. They will be lasercut from plexi. Each grill will have about 3 plexi layers and a layer of dustfilter. The top one will lose the most outside small pieces of hex so only full hexx will be there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    my first actual sponsored update (more to come).

The very kind people of Coolermaster I had contact with and I explained my goal. They agreed I needed something powerfull but efficient. So they offered me a Silent Hybrid Pro 1050W. Now who in their right mind would say no to that? Not me anyway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used to be all Corsair when it comes to PSUs, but I have come back from that. Recently I have been working on sleeving PSUs for others and I have seen quite a lot of different brands and I have really started to respect Cooler master for their PSUs a lot. I still don't understand why their Silent Pro Gold series has such a huge bundle of non modular cables. But their recent M2 line up is amazing value for money. And this Silent Hybrid Pro series is exactly what we want from them. Fully modular. No silly colours. Complete package. Strong single rail performance. That amazing brushes aluminum panel around the fan. 80+ Gold certified. And last but not least the 5,25 bay panel to have access to a fancontroller for both the main fan and the added fan power connections. I mean you get extra fan power connectors and a fancontroller with your PSU. A lot of builds can use them because there aren't enough fan power connectors on the mobo itself. I am very pleased with this amazing piece of tech.

Thank you very much Coolermaster! And thank you Marco for being so kind to sponsor this project with one. It is an amazing help.

I will post more pictures once I have fully sleeved the wiring to match the build.

7. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    So I received the custom grills and they are beautiful.

The package arrived from Portugal. Ricardo did an amazing job. Here is one assembled and one in pieces. Each grill is made up from 3 plexi pieces and a dustfilter. Plus a bunch of screws to keep it all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is actually completely flush with the sidepanel. The round edges on the panel itself make it look like otherwise in the picture, but it is.
    The fun thing with these grills is you see more orange the more diagonal you are looking at it. Looking at a 90 degree angle you hardly see any orange. I absolutely love them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    Finally started on the top panel one. Again it consists of 3 plexi pieces with a dustfilter (and a spare dustfilter). The other plexi plate is for measuring the hole that needs to be bigger on top of the case as it originally house 2*120mm fans and I want it to house 3 and maybe a radiator. Not an easy feat since it is 4mm thick aluminum. One extra strong grinding wheel was completely gone after 4 cm. So I brought out the jigsaw again. Like a knife through butter. Spent about 1 hour filing the hole to the correct shape and fit. It is being fitted from the inside like the original. But with extra strong holding points near the 5,25 inch bays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few pictures of all 3 grills in. The top one NOW isn't flush with the top. It will be eventually. And that looks WAY better. At some point a rad might hang from the grill making the top sqeeze the dustfilter flat and making the grill lower into the case. I also have some washers to use if needed for an extra 1,5 mm. I am even more happy with the top grill than the side grills. In real life it looks absolutely amazing. Later on with better lighting I will get my neighbour with his SLR to make far better pictures. But for now you will have to do with this sadly. Sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    Got me a nice package I was waiting for :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep a package from Nils. Not just for me this time as I was also working on a PSU of a friend. But I finally got my crimping tool. AND some orange (in your face) sleeving and some nice shade 19. I already have black so now I think I have all the colours I will need.

[​IMG]

I also received 12 of these. Yes 12. I love these fans and have always wanted to use them in a build for me. They will be used for the radiator(s) as well as general use.

10. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    Later on I received a package from Samsung. They were so kind to send me a desktop kit of a series 830 64GB SSD. I have bought another one just like it to put into RAID. But I am also trying something different with one. More pictures of that later on.

These things are not only very fast and reliable, but also fit my build perfectly in colour. I love them (and bought one for my regular PC as well).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much for arranging this SSD for the project Arafeh! :thumbsups

[​IMG]

11. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    I completely forgot about one package and I had to still make decent photos of another one. I will add them here both.

First off the package from Xilence. They have a lot to offer but I already had a lot at the moment in time. But Bastian hooked me up with one (well accidentally two) HDD coolers to fit in a 5,25 inch bay. They are really nice looking. Stealthy and clean. And he sent me a few 92 mm fans for the back of the case. I will spray them black probably or black with a touch of orange. Then I can tell more about how silent they are. They look like quality fans though. Especially the single fan with the complete red inside. Looks very well put together and has kind of a cool design to it. Here are the pictures. Something went wrong in the warehouse so I ended up with 3 packages. 3 fans and 2 HDD coolers :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much Bastian for your efforts to help this build out and with your great communication :thumbsups

[​IMG]

12. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    I also received an amazing box from Logitech. I did not know what they would sponsor the project with. Gladly Ben, Loes and Gezinus recognised this PC needed parts to operate it and since the hardware will be strong enough to play some serious games on it they provided the project with some serious gaming gear. A G19 gaming keyboard, a G35 surround headset and a G9X laser mouse. Needless to say....I was stunned :drool:
    The mouse comes with a changable cover which means I will probably mod the looks of it to suit the build even more. I also cannot wait to get the keyboard to show the CPU Mhz and other important information. I am still thinking about the headset. I think it is moddable...but ruining it is amongst the possibilities so I might just leave it alone. :p

They will work with the project very well as I also am planning to do a bit of benchmarking with games and in general to test this baby. Check out the pictures! (like I said I didn't have time to make decent pictures yet so I made a few today, there will be FAR better pictures made by a decent photographer later on in the end of the build).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much Ben, Loes and Gezinus for helping this project out!

[​IMG]

13. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    keep em coming great build

14. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    How is it that companies just send you parts? is it because of the builds you do ?
    Like a game company with review copies getting sent to people?/ Also absolutely amazing work.

15. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    Thank you :) I will defenitely keep them coming as I have progress.

I can explain but it would be a long story and not very adding to the thread.

Thank you for your comment btw. I hope to show much more stuff in the very near future.

16. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    Here is the beast that will be fitted to it. The thick 480 XSPC radiator. But it was all scratched and stuff. So I taped it up, sanded it, cleaned it and spraypainted it. There. Good as new. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    Here's another update.

And then FINALLY something arrived for the United States of Americana. Unboxing whooooooooooooo exiting!!!!

[​IMG]

What will it be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is .... it is.... YEAH it is my DWOOD Murdermod style radiator mount he made for me. It is gorgeous. :drool:

It is not a 100% copy. Mudermod also had the rad being removable from the bottom mount. This one is not removable. The idea is to have a low tunnel under the rad and fans. Together with the holes you can now put the fan wiring directly through the hole and cables are gone. They come out as one bundle at the end of the case / tunnel. So clean. Great design.

I love it so much. Such a great idea by Murdermod and DWOOD does very good quality.

Only .. it doesn't fit my TJ07 :doh: :madsmiley

Due to my amazing measurements. I will need to take a few mm off the top to make it fit. I am such a dumb*ss :mad:
    Man I was upset with myself. Oh well at least it will then fit. But now I have to work on this beauty.

Then I couldn't stop myself anymore. I just HAD to see how it would end up. Grabbed a 3mm thick XSPC radiator I had laying around, 4 orange Xigmatek fans and the mount.

:drool: I love it so much. That black with orange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    I got in touch with the people from KFA2. After a meeting by their marketing employee (whom I explained my project and what my plan was) at HQ he got green light and he sent me the following package:

[​IMG]

I just love unpacking things :D

[​IMG]

A reference GTX670 by KFA2. Awesome! They sent me a reference model knowing I wanted to create a full watercooled system. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

I didn't make any more pictures of the card itself because I wanted to keep it nice and spotless in it package. I will make a lot more pictures very soon when the waterblock and backplate will be ready for fitting. So don't worry ;)

[​IMG]

What is this? The box is bigger than what I just unpacked. What kind of trickery is this? :thinking:

[​IMG]

So I turned the box around to see what was going on. Only to find a second package in the same box. Every box I receive should be like this, double the surprise!! HOORAY!! :D

[​IMG]

19. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    I didn't make pictures of all that was in that side. It was a merchandising package containing stuff like pens, keyrings, various stickers, posters AND 3 awesome shirts. Not just a blanc shirt with a small logo. But a pretty well arted shirt. Cool enough to wear in public imo without feeling like a walking commercial. They're all sized M but I am 1 meter and 90 cm and it fitted fine to me. So it is more like a L at least as I usually wear XL sized shirts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course I am going to keep one to myself as I really like all the artwork of KFA2 in general and this shirt is no different.

I want to thank KFA2 and especially Graham for helping this project. :cheers: He also created the "Game hard, fold harder" line in the KFA2 type of font. How awesome is that? Not only did I put it in a banner, but it will also be used in the case itself. I designed something with it and it will hopefully find its way into the case (if physically possible).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also put the traditional KFA2 banner in here to show how I took a line from them and made it my own ;)

20. Hukkel

Hukkel Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7850 DD
    Here is the beast that will be fitted to it. The thick 480 XSPC radiator. But it was all scratched and stuff. So I taped it up, sanded it, cleaned it and spraypainted it. There. Good as new. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]