3D, 1080p and very high settings in ArmA III - GTX 660 Ti SLI or GTX 670 SLI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by finguide, Sep 23, 2012.

1. finguide

finguide Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3400
    Hi Gurus!

I'm going to buy high-end PC to play my favourite game series' next game, ArmA III. My goal is to play in 3D @1080p and very high / maxed out video settings.

My question: do you think that 2 x GTX 660 Ti in SLI is enough to run ArmA III with those settings? Or do I need to purchase 2 x GTX 670 in SLI?

I know, the game isn't released yet, but you can always estimate. I really really appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

2. -=Seany=-

-=Seany=- Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Wait for the Alpha test to come out, then see what perf others are getting.

Also, when any of the Arma series has been released before, they can not be run at "max" settings by any available hardware at the time.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I`d be more concerned about your cpu and getting the best out of it

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    dual 660ti has a memory bandwidth weakness (users of said setups reporting lower minimum frames than the rest of us on higher).
    gotta be dual 670s, 4gb versions for your Arma3 (i'm gonna get it too especially for the PhysX).
    check out the evga 670 ftw 4gb, just get the one now if that's all you can afford.
    having a very high vram barrier is ok if you run a dual setup, actually it's ideal.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    A single card will benefit from extra vram the same as a sli setup would. After all the data is mirrored on all video cards in a sli setup.

6. finguide

finguide Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3400
    Thanks a lot for your answers!

I'm going to get i5-3570k and OC it to maximum stable settings, about 4,5 - 4,7 GHz. Would it be the bottleneck of my system if I bought 2 x 670 ftw 4 GBs? ArmA series is known as CPU-killer. I've read comments that the developers are transferring some of the stress caused by the game from CPU to GPU though.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

i5-3570k really maxes out around 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz, 4.7 Ghz is possible but requires water cooling, considerably higher voltages, and even possibly the dangerous IHS removal and re-TIMming, so best to stick with 4.4Ghz. If you can't play the game at 4.4, you won't be able to play it at 4.6!

You won't need a Nvidia card to make use of Physx, the game uses Physx 3 which is better optimised for CPU use. Physx before now was programmed specifically to run poor on CPU. The funny thing with offloading Physx to the GPU is that it takes GPU performance away from actually rendering graphics. Although Physx 3 won't be anywhere nearly optimised for CPU use, it shouldn't be a disadvantage not to have an Nvidia card...

By the time the game is release, the Radeon HD8000 should have been released, so, say a HD8950 or HD8970 would be a good option :)

8. finguide

finguide Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3400
    I was going to wait for HD8000 series, but I decided to select Nvidia because of the better second generation 3D technology. If I've understood right, the Nvidia 3D Vision 2 offers a lot better 3D image quality with a monitor that supports LightBoost-technology than HD3D that is like Nvidia 3D without LightBoost (=50 % brightness compared to normal 2D image).

9. finguide

finguide Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3400
    What do you think: could i5-3570k handle a pair of EVGA GTX 670 FTW 4 Gb cards in SLI?

What I mean, if I've understood right, it's common problem that getting another GPU can just cut your FPS to half, if processor can't handle two cards at the same time, so the CPU just gets overstressed. Don't want to do a 400 € mistake... :)

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    an oc IB would do just fine there, if you want more mhz get a 2500k, if you get a good low voltage one you can do 5ghz on a good air cooler.

11. eternitykh

eternitykh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
    *raises hand*

3570k and 2x 670 ftw+ 4gb in sli here :)

cpu clocked to 4.6~4.8 (depends if im benching or not), works well, and i see 99% usage on both cards no problem (if the game demands it and if the game has good sli scaling).

so, go nuts!

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I wouldn't recommend an AMD card for Arma3, gotta be nvidia due to PhysX, also 3570k doesn't max out around 4.4 - 4.5, i suggest a better cpu cooler or thermal paste.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Can you post a p95 screenshot at least an hour into p95 blend with core temp or real temp open. I'm curious as to see what temps you are getting at 4.7

14. eternitykh

eternitykh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
    me?

sure i'll do that once i get home from work tonight. i'll probably just let it run during dinner time.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Not you that sli dude, wouldn't mind seeing that though

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    hehe, um NO!!

here, this is me idling, i ain't gonna thrash my new ivy bridge for an hour for some stranger on a kids forum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  17. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Big boy 3770Ks max out at about 4.4-4.5 without high end loops and LN2.. that's what we are referring to

maybe little guy 3570Ks without hyperthreading can go higher ;)

I'd still like to see your temps. The TIM in place of soldered IHS in combination with higher transistor density has had quite a large increase in temperature from Sandy to Ivy. I know I had a good 10-15C jump from a 2600K to 3770K.

Test with the latest AVX prime, not AIDA64 or some other BS. Honestly if you are below 95C under load I'll be impressed.. and I'll question if that is truly stable like have you checked for WHEA loggers? If you've got those you're not stable yet.. add some LLC and then see what temps are.

18. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    My rig is built for gaming primarily, when used as such the cpu is imo the boss, just being honest here.
    so if i thrash it for an hour and make it sweat it'll get warmer than a Sandy, ok big deal, perhaps you're right i don't know nor give a damn, also for an ivy bridge cpu i'd advise a z77.
    Enjoy running your gen2 rigs, fellas, just keep tellin' yourselves it's the most ideal and it'll be fine.

in my experience this cpu is cooler than my ol' 2500k.

19. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I'm sorry but 3570K is not cooler than 2500K... only at idle is it cooler.. Give it something to do and you'll see its quite a bit hotter actually.. do you stress test your OCs?

Not sure who you are advising to be on Z77 either.. my P67 supports PCI-E Gen 3.0 and everything I need.. the only thing I feel its missing is technologies from Lucid to utilize the IGPU which honestly I wouldn't use anyhow.

20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Your card is running on gen3 x16?
    I disagree with it being 'quite a bit hotter'(at least in gaming my Ivy runs cooler), having owned them both, i stress my OCs with heaven 11.5 and it always does me fine (e.g. i know that for 4.8 i need more juice but 4.7 no probs, and i stress my OCs & components with daily usage, if something fails i go change a setting, easy.
    I'll do a 11.5 run with coretemp open but cba with anything else, i bought avengers blu ray yesterday, disc quality is pants these days - a spec of dust fell on the disc and it no-longer works - and i only watch a tiny bit of it and had only seen a chitty copy before that, so yeah -i'll stop praising the Ivy's if you guys want, it'll be a shame for prospectful buyers though to miss out, guru's prefer sandy over ivy, whatever next?