Red lines appear across screen

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by KRaikkonenNo1, Jul 31, 2013.

1. KRaikkonenNo1

KRaikkonenNo1 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 OC 4GB
    Hi, I haven't visited here for a while, but I thought I would post here as this forum has proven helpful in the past :)

My problem is that red lines are appearing across my screen, and I'm assuming that it is my gpu. These red lines appear rather randomly but also more whilst gaming and on windows boot up screens.

I have tried all of the obvious things; reconnecting all wires, have roll backed drivers to WHQL and re-seated card and components but lines still appear across screen at times. I've also done a RAM test which came back fine.

So I was wondering if anyone could shed any light upon this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Either VRAM is going out slowly, either you have an unstable GPU OC(if you have any) or the card my be overheating.

Last but not least it is also possible that the PSU is going out on you.

Listed above is what usually is, check your temps while gaming with MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X, check the GPU itself is it dusty.

If you have done all of the above it will sound stupid but try reinstalling OS as a last resort and see will it still continue happening, if it will it is likely hardware issue.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What kind of lines? Like horizontal scrolling or static vertical stripes/squares?

Can u get a screenshot? If you get a screenshot and the lines don't appear then it's a problem with your monitor.

4. KRaikkonenNo1

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 OC 4GB
    They are horizontal lines that flicker.

Also interestingly every time I take a screenshot the lines do not appear at all, tried this numerous times.

I've tried swapping monitors with a similar model but the problem didn't appear at all on either monitors.

Does this suggest it is the monitor then?

Thanks.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes.

More specifically a loose or faulty cable will make flickering lines appear, so reconnecting the monitors may have fixed the problem.

If not then you should get the display checked.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, if the lines are not showing in screenshots that would suggest it's the monitor. I'm thinking it could also be a cable issue, or a output port issue on the gpu be it hdmi/dvi, don't know what you're using. I would get a new cable and try it in different ports on the gpu first, before buying a new monitor. But then again, if everything was ok on a different monitor, it might just be the monitor.

If you have more than one input on the monitor, try that.

7. KRaikkonenNo1

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 OC 4GB
    Im currently using the HDMI input to mini HDMI (on the gpu), and my monitor has 2 other outputs, DVI and D-Sub.

Also worth noting that I have a mini HDMI adaptor for the gpu which a normal HDMI plugs into, but the HD cable is too heavy and drags the connection down - it doesnt look pretty on the back of the GPU!

Is there any difference between using a HDMI output and one of the other outputs?

8. Sasmit

Sasmit Guest

GPU:
    AMD R7250
    Same problem

I don't use a NVDIA graphics card, but I'm having a similar problem and therefore would like to understand whether its a problem with the graphics card, cable or my monitor. Most probably its not the monitor. Check the screenshot, can you guys see the lines appearing on the wall area behind the actor's head?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016