AMD Motherboard and RAID config

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by FuzijaCZ, Mar 12, 2015.

1. FuzijaCZ

FuzijaCZ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770x2
    Hello.

Today, I bought a new components for my HTPC and as usual, I went with Gigabyte Motherboard.
    This time, I bought an AMD board: GA-F2A88XN-WIFI. Besides the board, I bought a Kingston Fury 120 GB SSD and 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB disks.
    The idea was to use SSD for OS and applications and 2x 3TB HDDs in RAID0 for storage.
    I finally managed to put everything together, and I wanted to install OS to it. However, this is where my problems started.
    I never actually done SSD+HDD RAID0 on a same PC. I run my main PC on 2x256GB SSD in RAID0 without problem, so I thought, this would be a piece of cake as well. Well, I thought wrong :-(

I need your help please.

I plugged the HW the following way:

Port0 SSD
    Port1 LG BlueRay, DVD, CD ROM
    Port2 and Port3 Seagate's HDDs

When I choose RAID as controller in BIOS, I can enter the Raid configuration and create an array from disk 2 and 3 (HDDs) but it only gives me 2.1TB total. Also, when I reboot, I no longer see SSD in the list of boot options, therefore, I cannot install OS. I am really struggling here, I have no idea how to make this work. I would really appreciate the help.

On a different topic, I bought Kingston HyperX Savage 2.8GB 2400mhz memory. When I select XMP profile 1 for 2400 settings, the pc won't boot and I have to load bios defaults to make it boot at least to BIOS. XMP profile 2 2133mhz works fine. Why is this happening?

I really hope what I am trying to do here is manageable, because I would really be disappointed if it doesn't work :-(

Thank you for your suggestions and answers.

Thank you in advance.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Also you can ask here
    http://www.win-raid.com/forum.php

Btw, has the BIOS special settings for boot device order? Have you tried to connect HDDs to 0 and 1 ports, SSD to 2 port, ODD to 3 one?

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Been a while since I played with RAID, so can't remember, but do all SATA ports allow RAID or are only certain ports designated for it?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    All ports are capable of RAID. It's a matter of whether or not the chipset/controller allows the ports to be used for RAID.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that's what I meant, not the actual ports but whether or not the machine allows those ports to be used for RAID

From looking at the specs on the boards site, it says 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports which are available for RAID0 along with others

Chipset:

4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
    Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, and JBOD

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Windows can't read partitions over 2TB unless the disk is formatted as GPT.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Wow, completely missed that - nice catch PM

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    :) .