Samsung investigating 840 EVO slowdowns

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A couple of weeks ago we already reported that the Samsung 840 EVO SSDs are still experiencing slow read speeds with old data. basically TechReport placed a couple of SSDs on shelf, didn't use them....

Samsung investigating 840 EVO slowdowns

2. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    i guess when samsung release the speed restore thingy we will be using it quite often then :/

although saying that, just tested and mine seems fine atm

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. SirJamesDTech

SirJamesDTech Guest

GPU:
    2x Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
    So in other words, unless you get into multiple games regularly it's not worth having a bunch installed.
    Hope this gets fixed because otherwise a 1TB EVO is potentially useless.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You can't measure the read speed degredation using 'normal' benchmark tools, because the read speed only affects old data - most benchmarks write new data, and then read that newly written data to determine the speed - that's why your drive looks ok when you test it in Samsung Magician. To test it probably you need to use a little program that a user has created in this forum (called SSDReadSpeedTester2.04.exe):
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1512915/...es-benchmarks-needed-to-confirm-affected-ssds

I've been testing it on mine and read speed slowed after somewhere between 4-8 weeks, this is while using the supposedly fixed firmware.

Also, the read speed degredation happens on drives that are regularly used (not just sat on a shelf like the article says) - I'm using mine as a system boot drive, so the data is accessed/read a lot, but just not written to much.

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    oh ok thanks, i will try the test you recommend, did not realize.

same here i use the SSD for my OS drive only.

retested with the software you advised averaged 421MB/s

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah loosing faith in Samsung over this. Firstly my 840 Evo, which hasn't been sitting idle for a few months is affected by this slow down issue, despite running the refresh tool and the firmware update prior to using it for the first time only 3 or 4 months ago. Second just tried to use their Magician Software, the only magic this piece of cr*p software could pull was to lock my computer up and render it utterly unuseable, a hard reset, boot and then it locks up again, I am assuming that the software has some sort of auto start option.

So yeah in to safe mode and removed that pile of rubbish and now the computer at least doesn't lock up anymore.

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    odd ? i have had no issues with the samsung software?

the more i think about it maybe you have issues else where thats causing the software not to run as intended?

just a thought mind you.

8. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Just tested my 840 pro it's showing 100MB/s for files 63 days old

9. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Can't download the software. The Mega logo just fills up, then the page just sits there doing nothing. In HD Tach my 1TB EVO is still looking good, though slightly more erratic than my OS 830.

10. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I really hope that Samsung releases the fix and tools for OEM drives as well. I have a 840 based Samsung SSD in my laptop (Vaio Flip 13) and the performance drop is very noticeable. If anyone has a drive that isn't supported by the tool (anything other than an EVO), then "Disk Fresh" can also help by completely rewriting your drive with your existing data.

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Other OEM Samsung drives, this time in the SP3. Microsoft seems to have a firmware out but it is only for that specific model.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfhardware/sp3-ssd-possible-firmware-bug-same-as-just-fixed/790dc9b9-455d-4216-af64-c57c17d65d10

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Has anyone looked to see if the 850s suffer from this as well? Have been looking into pulling the trigger on one.

12. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I hope not! I just bought an 850 evo 1tb! Decided to avoid the 840's.

13. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Well technically speaking was only meant to effect evo range, however am seeing slow down on my 840 pro in that ssd read speed tester bench.

[​IMG]

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I've read about this, but never looked into it.

And wow that looks bad, thought its just slight degradation, but max 50mb/s is a disaster imho.

15. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I think only TLC drives have been affected. I haven't seen anyone with MLC drives report issues. Try manually Trimming your drive and leave a some additional free space if you can. Also try running it with older tools like HDTune or HDTach for sequential reads.

Yeah, before I ran Disk Fresh, my laptop was taking 10+ seconds to open Power Point... This shouldn't happen with a Haswell i7 and SSD.

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You might have some read speed degredation there, I get 530MB/s read speed on my system, it dropped down to the 300's when I had the degredation.

17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You can remove the auto start up function of Magician by removing that task from the Task Scheduler.

18. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080

Your 840 Pro is performing perfectly fine there, it's the average read speed figure that you want to look at - you're getting 540MB/s, so that's perfectly good, your 840 Pro isn't affected.

EDIT: sorry for 3 posts in a row, will multi-quote next time!

19. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Why go noob (evo), when you can go PRO ? :D

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lol, yeah the only issue though, I installed the software, selected the run software option from the post install screen, at which point I assume it adds a task manager call, it inspected the drive and then promptly locked the computer up with zero response except to push the reset button.

So now I have a program installed that auto starts at boot and locks the computer up after it starts, you can see the issue here. This meant the only way I could disable it was to reboot in safe mode (a task which given how quickly Win 8 boots I was less than certain would work.) Luckily it did and I was able to uninstall the software.

Hmmm, I doubt it the system has been rock solid since it was first built and booted four months ago, zero issues, well a small issue with swapping Nvidia for an AMD card but that was resolved pretty quickly.