AMD prepping Greenland GPU for 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's right, we still need to see an actual 300 series first of course, but there already is talk and speculation about the successor architecture from  AMD, a product which carries the label Green...

AMD prepping Greenland GPU for 2016

2. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Minor typo at the end of the second sentence, 'scars' instead of scarce.

I can't believe there are rumors for the 400 series when the 300 series doesn't even have confirmed specs XD.

3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    this apu could end up in the new nintendo console

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I hope that happens because I think Nintendo needs to go the x86-64 route just like the PS4 and Xbox-one are now.

Yeah same here. We don't even know when the 300 series cards are going to be released let alone confirmed specs.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Release time-frame for 300 series is late Q2 or early Q3.

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I hope they can somehow integrate hbm right into the die of the new apu line up

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Supposedly both Xbox and PS4 are looking at a faster release cycle for their consoles. Basically, they realise that any new 'generation' of console simply can't last as long as the Xbox 360/PS4 did, especially with the increasing processing capabilities of phones, and even TV's now (with some upcoming 2015 models having significantly greater gaming capability). The current consoles are supposedly going to be replaced around 2017, perfect timing for AMD's next generation APU's.

I believe that is planned for at least those 200-300W APU's rumoured. Not sure how much they are talking about, it's most probably a supersized L3 or L4 cache versus RAM in the traditional sense. It's possible that it will be featured across all the upcoming AMD processors, just in varying amounts.

The real question is, how long will DDR4 be around considering the advances with HBM? Even basic HBM is a far more attractive proposition than DDR4, and the costs could actually be kept down. The costs could be kept down simply because HBM on graphics cards (and on the APU's) have a different focus point in the cost/performance balance. The focus for graphics cards is performance, so it comes at a cost. For normal RAM, although performance is an important aspect, they will keep the costs down by having a lower performance versus cost. This move is inevitable, it's just the timing of when such move takes place. It would definitely be a better proposition than DDR4, considering its performance increase and better efficiency, in say, 2018, but the cost of implementation may sway that until a later date.

8. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    300W APU?!?! Nice :)

9. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yeah DDR4 days are numbered, that's why group what does DDR isn't making DDR5 at all. They are looking into 3D stacking of memory for main system memory now :banana:

10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Once again AMD starts blabbing about the next generation of products even before the current ones have been released yet. What part of "keep your mouths shut regarding upcoming products so you don't KILL sales of what's currently available" don't these people understand? AMD owners are typically more budget-minded and the moment they hear "____ will be released in 3 months", any chance to sell a card that isn't heavily discounted is next to none.

11. iPp

iPp Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290 PCS+
    Confirmed: AMD plans to stick around until at least 2016. I love AMD, my favorite parts and the ones that I had most fun with are AMD/ATi but it's time they get a new owner.