My card died, Warranty expired

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dabooga, Jun 2, 2016.

1. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Following on from my last thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=407596, where I was convinced my card was dying, the card now no longer allows the PC to boot.

BIOs gives me beep code indicating VGA error, with no display. Leading up to this, my stable OC became unstable, and I had increasinly frequent game crashes and BSODs.

MSI offers a 2 year warranty, from manufacture date, in France, where my retailer Pixmania.com is based. I missed this date narrowly by a month and now I am only left with the option to send it back to pixmania, for a probable paid repair serice, or selling it off as a faulty card.

Are there any other options I am not aware of?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Warranty is normally from purchase date, not manufacture date

Worth a try RMAing anyway

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Sadly no. You mentioned two only options. Sell it as faulty (heavily underpriced) or try to fix it (probably wont work).

Is the baking an option?

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016

5. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Warranty should always be from the date of purchase, not the manufacturing date. That'd be ridiculous. An item could sit on a retailers shelf for a year before someone buys it, making it a year into warranty.

Aswell as that, most manufacturers are decent enough if warranty is a few weeks out of its date. They'll usually honour it still

6. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    Is it Nvidia or Amd?Because my last 2 cards from same company also dead after 3 yrs no warranty.:(

7. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Thanks but I've already pre-ordered my 1080 so not too fussed on saving the card, just finding the most lucrative outcome.

I agree, but according to many similar forum posts to mine, people have reported being told by an MSI senior that warranty begins with manufacture date, more specifically the date within the card's serial number.
    Although I am awaiting an official response from MSI to confirm this.
    Im hoping that with enough hassle, they will honour it.

No my AMD card died just after a year of use.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just RMA it, warranty starts from purchase date by law

9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    MSI senior can think/say whatever he wants: law is on your side, as nakquada and Extraordinary just said warranty period starts from date of purchase, you have every right to RMA the card and either get your money back, get that card repaired for free or get the offer from manufacturer or retailer to change it for some other card that fits you. Don't be fooled, that card is still under warranty.

10. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    I was certain its AMd.because my last two cards were also AMD who died after 3 yrs.so now i switch to Nvidia.AMD GPU has less life.

11. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Im very much hoping you are correct. But I am assuming most people posting on here are from the USA, I'm sure the law is different here in the UK and EU.
    But then again, It seems quite difficult to know for sure since MSI's official warranty information is so vague.
    Anywhere I could look to know for sure?

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Law is no different in the UK, I am in the UK, warranty starts from purchase date

Just about everyone here has RMA'd a GPU at some point, many past the warranty period, myself included

You get one of two answers

1. RMA Denied
    2. RMA Accepted

13. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Thats great to hear. How did you go about it?

14. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Friend of mine RMA'd MSI GTX 780 Lightning few days before warranty period expiration (2 years here), card artifacted really bad. Guess at MSI service center because of transport they received that card day or two after warranty period expired but that wasn't a problem. They tried to repair it but no chance, some 3 weeks later they offered to give him money as a refund for faulty card, he accepted and few days later he bought Gigabyte GTX 970 G1.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Used the RMA section of the site, of the place I bought it from

eBuyer.com in my case

If you bought it from MSI, or are going to use MSI to RMA, contact them and find out what they need from you to begin the RMA process

There are customer service numbers you can call
    https://uk.msi.com/about/contact-us

https://uk.msi.com/page/warranty

16. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Yea i was hoping that would happen to me. Ive heard of people RMA'ing their 290X Lightning and recieving a 390X Gaming as a replacement.

Yea Ill be giving them a call. According to 99% of feedback, pixmania are pathetic for RMAs.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Never even heard of them until today, I use eBuyer.com and scan.co.uk

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oddly pixmania sells to Austria too, regularly ending up competing top prices, yet I never went for it because it's sitting in France, and there might be a language barrier ;)

But yeah, either RMA accepted or denied, if denied try to bake it, but eventually I'd advise you to try and hold out for something newer being released (be it AMD or Nvidia).

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Agreed, ideally you would wait for a new AMD or Nvidia card. They will present better value for money than existing cards due to their imminent release.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    You are simply talking out of your ass here. Life of the gpu is down to luck no matter which brand it is. Only GPUs that have died on me have been nvidia. And I don't think they are more prone to dying, I just had bad luck...