Needing advice: DT880 Pro or Edition/Premium or ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FatBoyNL, Apr 22, 2013.

1. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Hi guys, could you please help me making a choice here?

Just installed my new Yamaha RX-A1020 last month and a Sound Blaster ZxR is expected to arrive later this week. So today I've decided it's also time for a decent set of headphones to go with that (as I think my Creative Fatal!ty yadayada cans really shouldn't :wanker:).

I'm considering Beyerdynamics DT880 Pro or Edition/Premium (250ohms). The Pro is about €200 over here but only available in 3 weeks. The Edition/Premium is priced at €235 and should take less than a week to get here.

Now here's my question:
    Should I just go for the Edition/Premium anyways or wait for the Pro?
    A better suggestion in that price range will be really appreciated as well.
    I think I'm not really in a hurry to get them (or am I? Getting pretty anxious by now after a full working day just reading reviews :eyes:).

Head-fi.org wasn't really helpful for me so I thought I'd better just ask you guys :D

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I doubt your receiver will be able to handle the pro-250 or even the premium 250's since a lot of them can handle up to 32ohm headphones. Your gonna need a headphone amp that strong enough to handle them. Like the Magni which is $99 dollars. Which you can use with your X-FI Titanium HD. Your Titanium HD headphone outpu do not provide enough power to handle the titanium HD either.

3. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Thanks for the suggestion of keeping the Titanium HD, but I'm switching for a ZxR nevertheless as I'd like to have analog multi-channel as well. And I don't really want to use yet another device ;)
    Didn't find the headphones output rating of my receiver yet. Thought it was a safe bet, but I'll definitely check it out.
    Thanks again!

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Oh that case the ZXR will handle the premium/pro 250's for sure. Also the Pro 250s clamps tight, so it will take a while for the PRo-250 to loosing up. I did enjoy the pro-250s my self but the only reason i sold them off, is because i needed to switch to a full closed back headphone.

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I've read that about the Pros as well, the editions/premiums seem more comfortable for wearing. But I'm not sure though about (sound) quality changes or materials being swapped besides leather/leatherette.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Best way is to listen both. We all have different ears, hearing, even size of head... Generic responce, but it`s true.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Premiums have less clamping force, and thus a bit better soundstage and a bit less bass. Otherwise, they are identical.

Pros if you prefer clamping (they can't fall off as easily), slightly more bass due to drivers being closer to ear (meh), and less expensive.

Premiums if you prefer less clamping force (more comfortable) and slightly better soundstage (meh?).

Mostly it comes down to comfort and price. I've heard the DT880 Pros loosen up after a few months if you keep them stretched somewhat.

I was in the same boat but the Premiums are $100 more, so it was a clear choice for the Pros. Waiting for them to ship now.

Concerning the ZxR, it should have enough power to push 250 Ohm headphones, but it has trouble keeping up with 600 Ohm headphones, as it only manages to deliver 48.4mW or so out of its rated 80mW. Just something to keep in mind.

You want 5.1 channel analog outputs, that's fine. But consider external DACs and amps if headphones and stereo are your main focus. I'm hopefully getting an Audio-GD NFB-11.32 soon.

Good luck with these seemingly fantastic headphones for the price.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    has that SoundBlaster Z headphone amp problem been confirmed? I'm curious because I haven't seen anything official, but on the other hand I haven't done any extensive research into it. also, does it affect all the Z series cards?

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The ZXR has a different headphone Chip then what the Z and the ZX has.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I know but I would love to hear from a Z/Zx user and learn if they can drive 600ohm headphones properly. I have my eyes on a couple of studio headphones so I'd love to know for sure.

11. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll go for the DT880 Edition/Premium with an impedance of 250 ohms. That should be fine when connected to the Sound Blaster ZxR.

The Tech Specs of the Yamaha receiver report an Headphone Out impedance rated '150mV/100ohms'. Don't know what that means exactly, as I've found numerous posts on the Internet contradicting each other (and now I think I know even less about this subject than I did before... :bang:)

Do you think the receiver will play nice with the DT880-250?
    I'd really like to have both connection options and not be limited to just the ZxR.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013