Fried videocard?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dragunov1010, Jun 16, 2013.

1. dragunov1010

dragunov1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    A couple days ago I was playing Arma 2 and my computer turned off. I turned it back on and there were some white horizontal lines everywhere on my desktop, startup, motherboard screen, everything. http://filesmelt.com/dl/graphics_problems.jpg
    I downloaded the latest drivers for my card (GTX 550), took it out and cleaned it and put it back in, and it was still there. Is my card dead? Is this fixable? It was also most likely from a static shock, I had my hand inside my computer to feel how hot it was inside (it normally has the case side off) when it turned off. Call me stupid but yeah. Thanks for anything in advance.

2. dragunov1010

dragunov1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I forgot to mention:
    1. The whole resolution was reduced for some reason, I use 1080p and it was reduced to something like 1024x768 (as you can see in the photo)
    2. I had two monitors, the one in the picture was my main. The second one didn't even work after the incident, I replugged it in and it still didn't work.

3. Bl@ck_Thorne

Bl@ck_Thorne Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3060 TI
    try to baked it with oven set it to 200c in 10mins it works on my palit gtx550ti

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Looks like memory failure at minimum.
    you can try the oven bake trick in case it was a co-incidence it died when your hand was inside the PC (ie it might not have been caused by static).

What were temps like before it died?

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    RIP video card, you will forever be remembered. :'(

6. dragunov1010

dragunov1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    My hand was in there because my heatsink fan was being unusually loud, and when my hand was in there it was pretty damn hot.
    Also, i've never heard of this oven thing before, are you trying to make me completely destroy my card or does it actually do something?

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
  8. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    RMA it if it's under warranty... no reason to kill your warranty by baking your video card.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    rip in peace

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uhm what?

Rest in peace in peace?

11. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    lol :nerd:

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Sounds like a dead video card to me. I don't think in your case it was caused by static shock since the computer shut down on its own and afterwards the problem happened. You tried to fix the problem by cleaning out you video card but the problem was still there. I think two things that could have caused this 1 your PSU could be at fault since your computer shut down unexpectedly and possibly did damage to your card. 2 altered ventilation in your case since you ran the computer with only 1 side and that might have done something to the card.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Any update? Did the oven trick work?