Most wanted fix for 2.09

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by nrm, Apr 22, 2008.

1. nrm

nrm New Member

1. Ability to just install RivaTuner, set the fan speed for 8800 GT and have it keep it that way through reboots without uac popups and without any tweaking besides install + fan speed set. Not much asked I know...

... on vista 64 default config after installing the OS clean and putting 169.25 whql drivers on.

2. the rivatuner driver signed properly

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

1) Use search
    2) Use search, it is signed by techpowerup for ages and included as separate update in the distributve
    3) There are no known bugs in 2.08 and 2.09's fixes list is empty

And the most wanted thing from my side is to see thinking forum visitors able to use search instead of newbies who constantly come here and throw "fix your bugs" instead of fixing their own understanding.

3. mikeyakame

mikeyakame Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 729/1566/2700
    search for the task scheduler workaround to avoid UAC prompts on vista startup.....

if you only allow trusted executables via this method, chances of allowing an app to run with highest priviledges and opening a security backdoor to the kernel should be as neglible as pressing ok to the UAC prompt.

4. nrm

nrm New Member

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding here.

I did saw people mention "use task scheduler" and so I did, after setting the obvious options of "apply fan settings at windows startup", which a rational mind expects to use whatever is the correct method under Vista to do just that. Correct method isn't disabling UAC after all.

So I went to control panel, created new elevated task and added rivatunerwrapper /S in it, after all everyone said to use "task scheduler" not "rivatuner scheduler" and it just didn't occur to me you built in a 2nd GUI for a feature that already has a GUI so my first reaction was to use the existing, windows gui.

(at this point I removed the apply at startup, but now the rivatunerwrapper /S stopped applying fan speed even though it ran on startup by the windows task scheduler)
    The result was that by using windows task scheduler to add the rivatuner, it breaks down such that it works if the apply at startup is selected but you don't elevate on the uac popup. And rivatuner goes and adds in itself again to startup keys every time on run even if you use msconfig to remove it.

So my point, fix it by removing overlapping functionality (or broken features in Vista, such as apply fan speed at startup) or specify that rivatuner went in and duplicated a GUI for standard windows feature which just happens to work in differently despite the similar name.

oh and: if the whining about same things annoys you so much, why doesn't it motivate to fix the "apply at fan speed" thing to check if OS has UAC and then put in the scheduler option to do that? Or just remove it and make using the scheduler the official way of doing things. XP is almost dead for gamers now so things should be as simple and obvious as possible for Vista users, not XP users.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008

5. Unwinder

There is no overlapping functionality, there are no broken features in Vista. There is _your_ misunderstanding and nobody besides you is able to fix it.

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    2. the rivatuner driver signed properly

it is signed....."properly"

7. nrm

nrm New Member

I just described the overlapping functionality, I'm still trying to figure why you don't see it as overlapping if there's different ways to do same thing (apply fan speed at startup) so I'll leave it at that for now.

Also the rivatuner exe does not show as having verified signer nor company/author name as seen by latest process explorer with "Verify image signatures".

8. nrm

nrm New Member

edit: My bad, seems process explorer does not look for the images in proper paths or something as it doesn't show anything for rivatuner64.sys or the exe.

9. Unwinder

You just described that you don't understand the things you do and you read. Reread post #2 a few times please.

Guys, I pray you, before coming here and claiming that I have to fix RT (and virtually saying me: "hey, your job sux and your software doesn't work as advertised, fix your broken features") invest some time in searching and reading. This especially applies to those who never used RT before.
    Then probably you won't feel yourself "insulted" and I won't return you your own request and ask you to fix bugs in your mind.

10. nrm

nrm New Member

I went through the guide and did the profile steps so it should work now.

However, I stand by my claims:

The way I used to set up the fan (it's my only reason for installing the app) was by not using the launcher/scheduler/fan profiles at all and all I needed worked perfectly in my previous OS, now that method acts differently in Vista since the UAC popup comes by using my previous method.

The argument is that a feature started to act differently when the OS was upgraded, therefore it's not entirely compatible with Vista.

Having working and non-working methods to do same thing is prone to cause confusion and nothing you say will change this.

11. Unwinder

I give up repeating you that it is YOUR misunderstanding and there are no non-working methods. Waste of time, you may continue waiting for "fix" from me, it will be really long wait.

12. nrm

nrm New Member