Speakers recommendation

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Octopuss, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Could anyone recommend me some nice stereo speakers in, let's say, under 400 eur/$500 range?

[​IMG]
    This setup is not exactly the best thing for this purpose I think :p

I've had these speakers for several years and they sound great, but back then I was blind or something and didn't pay enough attention to the dimensions, and when the package arrived, I was like WTF!... ...and barely was able to carry it in the house (40kg weighting huge box)

Thus, I am looking to potentially replace these with something slightly smaller yet still capable of delivering nice sound. I play lots of BF3 and was considering surround for a while, but I hate the idea of creating a spider web in the room.

2. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    What speakers are those?

3. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Tapco S8. No longer manufactured I think.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Is that for pair or each ?

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The Corsair SP2500 is an excellent 2.1 setup for PC.

6. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
  7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Why not just buy wall brackets if you want more desk space?

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Brackets or stands can always help...

For rears Get some stands. When you want to use the surround channels, move them into position. When done, you canput them to the side to save space if you want.

For gaming, it is pretty hard to beat for surround sound.

Are you considering just adding some rears, center or just getting rid of what you have now and getting a new surround sound system?

9. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    The price I mentioned was for a pair.

The reason I am considering replacing these is the size. I cannot move them further away, and they already are not fully sitting on the table. I don't necessarily need more desk space, but I believe I read somewhere large speakers should be some minimal distance away to get the most out of them. Don't laugh at me, I am pretty much an illiterate noob when it comes to audio stuff and this simply came to my mind :p Also, these speakers don't have digital input, and I am sick of all the noises analog connection creates when I either plug the cable in, touch the jack, or simply receive a SMS.

As for surround - I am not sure how exactly it works, but isn't "proper" surround 7 speakers and a subwoofer? Wouldn't I miss something if I just add something in the rear? I have no idea how games go about this, but logic tells me that with 3 less speakers I just wouldn't hear certain things at all.

10. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI

11. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Well, I am not exactly fond of subwoofers (especially since I can have the bass section right in speakers themselves), and I am a conservative guy when it comes to looks :p

But the surround thing is really a mystery to me.

12. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, you're not really gonna get the best of the best sound without a decent sub or floorstanders, however these might be what you're looking for :

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A5plus

regards,
    RagDoll.

13. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audioengine-a5

14. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Fair Enough :) I was only suggesting a set of speakers, not necessarily the best ones... IMO, unless you pay atlest 7 or 800 dollars, you're not gonna get really good low end, maybe top end but for deep bass, nothing beats a subwoofer. So, 2.1 is really my suggestion, 2.0 is not really an option for great sound in this type of thing imo.

These speakers made in Australia are probably the best 2.0 speakers under a grand :

http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=291&cmenu=spec

Cheers,
    RagDoll.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Hehe, i got almost killed lifting it up the stairs, i wanted to push the box over the last stair and it pushed me backwards, i could just grab the side of the stairs or i could of get killed.

16. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    The Airmotiv 4s are only $349 USD right now, though. Includes free shipping throughout continental U.S., as well as a fully transferrable 5-year warranty, a "no questions asked" 30-day return policy and a truly exemplary customer service.

That being said, my shiny new pair of Airmotiv 5s (the Airmotiv 5 is the bigger brother of the Airmotiv 4) has traveled by FedEx airplane from Memphis, Tennessee to Paris, France the day before yestoday. :excited:

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Those are made in China:
    http://www.swanspeaker.com/company/offices.aspx

18. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  19. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the input.
    Since I also like gaming, I briefly checked complete 7.1 sets, but none seemed interesting at all (unless I looked at something extremely expensive). I just wouldn't trust those super little speakers at all (if they can produce superb sound - relatively, for an average human non-audiophile, let me know; I just used common sense there).

Then another idea came to my mind. Would simple four speaker setup be significant improvement for gaming or do I really "need" the usual 7.1? I just thought I could maybe buy two pairs of some decent speakers and simply slap one behind me.
    Or maybe if I put the ones I currently have in the back and use something smaller in the front? Of course, placing the bigger and probably higher performance ones in the back is probably not the best idea - I don't know.

What do you think?

20. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    It can work, and in fact the reason I bought the Airmotiv 5s is because I plan to use them as surrounds. My fronts are a pair of big floorstanding speakers with plenty of clean bass and excellent stereo imaging, so I am not going to add a subwoofer nor a center speaker, at least not until I find out what things are going to sound like without them. The biggest problem IMO is as RagDoll_Effect already pointed out, the bass doesn't go down properly all the way to 20 Hz, which isn't necessarily a problem when listening to musical content, but for watching movies (and probably for gaming, too) it typically will be. My speakers do go down to 20 Hz, but they start to roll off at around 32 Hz or so. So if you won't change your mind about adding a separate subwoofer, you might want to look for speakers with built-in subwoofers, but AFAIK those don't come cheap...

Another big, and often underestimated, problem IMO is always room acoustics and speaker placement. With some DIY room treatments, you can get surprisingly good results. However, adding a decent room correction system on top of that will usually help to improve the sound dramatically (except perhaps if both the room characteristics and the audio system are truly state-of-the-art and very expensive).