Batman: Arkham Knight is having a very rough launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    PC players angry at the state of the port of Batman: Arkham Knight are leaving frustrated reviews on Steam. Steam user reviews for the game currently stand at 30 percent and Mostly Negative, based on ...

Batman: Arkham Knight is having a very rough launch

2. Well then... i'm glad I didn't buy it earlier today now. Fix your sh!t Rocksteady!

3. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Glad I never paid for it

4. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Glad I didn't pre-order this one. The rest of the series has been pretty good, how did they manage to **** this one up so bad?

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They say they hired a third-party to port it to the PC from consoles.... guess they're not getting work again.

6. Atombender

Atombender Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 6800 XT
    They should have stopped at their peak (Arkham City), which was briljant. After that it went downhill.
    Arkham Origins was OK but nothing special.
    Hearing this, it's only getting worse. :frown:

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    no they still can work as main developper with EA or Ubisoft... lol
    ((maybe it is easy trolling)).

more seriously what do you expect about a game that is in pre order since 6 month and have announcement since even more...
    it's the same as people pissed with AC Unity... same sale scheme.

it will be playable in another 6 month after patching.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You're probably right. It took the last game months of patching before the game was playable for me.

9. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    im so angry about this game a pc game it should be not frame locked and also have a working pc options menu so people with different grades of computer can lower or higher settings to get a smooth gameplay experience on there system, that should be law in quality control before a game is allowed to be sold to the public and what amaze me about the gamiing industry is theres seems to be no trading standards law, or quality control laws to protect consumers , the things these game companys and developers get away with are astonishing, if amazon was sellings every monitor with a cracked screen, saying theres a crack on screen but it still works ,its classed as a faulty product , thats basically what this game is it works but its got faults, but with games theres no one in the law making sure these games are of a satisfactory standard before they sell them to the public, and the retail discs 5 discs with 7gb its unbelivable they can get away with doing things like this without punishment, all partys involved in this game should be taken to court and fined by the trading standards laws

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I don't think I'll ever buy a WB Game again. The next horrible PC port hastily done by a third party after Mortal Kombat X.

I also hate their practice that they send PS4 copies to PC reviewers...and even more so that said reviewers/magazines write their "PC review" based on the PS4 version instead of properly reviewing the PC version.

11. DeAnt28790

DeAnt28790 Member

GPU:
    First off. The retail edition copies 7GB off 5 DVD's. I have to download 28GB. What's the point?
    I can only have a 2mb internet line. It will take me days to download.
    Not to mention I can't get a refund like steam users.

This sort of thing kills a reputation. Look at watch dogs. That game runs great now. but no one care because it ran awfully when it came out.

This also isn't the first time PC players have been shafted from the batman games. Asylum was delayed by 2 weeks just before launch. So was city and then the DX11 settings made the game run badly.
    Origins was a horror show. Still is buggy as hell. I played a bit yesterday and started climbing over invisible walls.
    Sure Origins was a different dev but it does continue that trend.

The PC community has been complaining, tweeting and causing a storm and WB Games and Rocksteady just don't care.
    Even Ubisoft promises to patch and fix and admittedly, they do.
    WB Games just tells us to turn our settings down.

All I can do is urge WB Games to make these games console exclusives and release on PC when they are ready. A delay is better than a bad launch.

12. mjgr33n

mjgr33n Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980 Hydro Copper
    I am not having any issues, but then after first logging in and seeing the fps cap I immediately changed the following -

\Batman Arkham Knight\Engine\Config\BaseSystemSettings.ini -- MaxFPS=144
    \Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame\Config\BmSystemSettings.ini -- MaxFPS=144.000000

I then ran Geforce Experience which set everything max except for the Nvidia Interactive Smoke and Fog.

I am running on my ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q at 2560x1440x144 G-Sync mode fine with fps between 60 and 85 fps, when I am in the batmobile it is about 50 to 70 fps, it occasionally stutters slightly when going into new areas or new things loading in and then the fps drops to about 16 to 45 for about a second.

It seems maybe that the caching and loading of new resources is the main issue on my end but it is hardly noticeable but from reading what others have said maybe this is not as much an issue for me due to running a Samsung XP951 as my gaming drive which has Max. Sequential Read Speed of 1170 MB/s.

My other specs are Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Force, Intel Core i7-4790K, stock clock, EVGA 980 Hydro Copper, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2133C11, my primary drive for OS boot is Samsung 850 128Gb Drive and everything is water cooled.

Looking at specs of other people having issues who have edited at least one of the ini files above and have high powered pc's the only difference I see between mine and theirs is maybe the PCIE 2.0 x4 Samsung XP951 drive.

So as I said above, could it be the caching and loading of new resources that is the biggest issue, combined with the silly fps locks which should have been removed for pc release, then bad coding for AMD users and still bad coding of the Fog etc. ?

13. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    You know why this happens over and over again on PC? Because consoles have validation process and developers cant just release any crap they please. On PC they can release what ever they want and to minimize the financial impact they try to do anything to get players to pre-order the games.

14. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Runs around 40-50 fps @ 1440p with 280x, 4670k @ 4.1, 12GB 1600mhz, 512GB MX100 SSD, Soundblaster Z.

15.6 betas (with removing the older drivers first with DDU).

AA is turned off, cap is raised to 60Hz (no need to raise it above your monitor's refresh rate)
    It still eats tons of memory and crashes upon exit. But other than that it works fine, runs better than Witcher 3 at the same res.

No glitches otherwise, graphics look marvelous.

Running at 30 fps felt wrong, the game is more responsive with the cap @ 60fps.

And the game itself is not bad either. Knight and scarecrow are a pain in the *bleep*.

15. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    That's what you get when you don't test your product on PC, instead, just straight off porting it from the consoles...
    It seems like a common trend with most PC game those days

16. Kyushi

Kyushi Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780-DC2-3GD5
    All I can say is that my experience does not match the horror stories I've read on Steam.

I read about the FPS lock before starting the game and edited the ini files to get 60 FPS instead of 30.
    I had to tweak a couple of settings before I got to decent FPS on a 1440p 60Hz monitor with a GTX 780. It's a mix of normal/high settings at the moment, for example texture detail is set to high, shadows normal.
    The Gameworks stuff, like the rain and fog is punishing on FPS in the built in benchmark, so I disabled those to prevent any problems in game.

FPS still drops to low 20's or 30's depending on the environment when calling the batmobile and getting the 'jump in' animation, but while gliding, during combat and while driving the batmobile FPS is fine at 50-60.
    I will try to enable GameWorks features one by one and see actual in game impact on fps and stuttering.

Installed the game on my EVO 850 SSD by the way.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Origins was not done by Rocksteady.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Rough launch...

...crash landing in flames.

19. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Rocksteady hired "Iron Galaxy Studios" to port the game to PC, which is know for mostly PS3, XBOX 360 and iOS games.

Someone at Rocksteady clearly was on drugs.

20. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti