Editing the fan speed table???

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Matts_User_Name, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Matts_User_Name

Matts_User_Name Member

GPU:
    Radeon 1950XTX
    Is there a way to edit the fan speed table?
    It seems like you have 2 options, auto preset fan speed, or constant manual speed.

I would like to be able to edit the auto fan speed table, but I see no way to. When ever I right click it just says "Whats this?"

Need help if you can.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2243087&postcount=47

3. Matts_User_Name

Matts_User_Name Member

GPU:
    Radeon 1950XTX
    thanks a lot

4. Nexx

Nexx New Member

Sorry, I know that this has been discussed before, but I have a problem with this that I can't solve.

I'm running an "Axle 3D" 8800 GTX, which seems to be 100% nVidia reference design, with even the reference nVidia graphic design on the cooler shroud. I'm using Windows XP and RivaTuner 2.01.

Sure, I can set AutoFanSpeedControl to 3, and then modify the AutoFanSpeedParams entry. But the changes never seem to be sent to the ADT7473 controller. Am I missing something here? I'm assuming since there is a way to modify these values in the registry, there's also a way to actually update the settings on the board.

Changing the fan speed manually in the low-level fan control works perfectly. But what I really want do to is to increase the minimum fan speed used by the automatic profile, without running the fan at 100% all the time.

The settings visible in the low-level fan control dialog (60, 100, 72, 32...) match the values in the HKLM\Software\Unwinder\RivaTuner\Fan\Devices\//./DISPLAY1\AutoFanSpeedParams registry key. However, setting this registry value, either through the Power user registry editor or the Windows registry editor doesn't seem to accomplish anything. The fan speed never increases (I would hear) and on opening the low-level fan control dialog, the setting is reset to the default values.

Using the System Internals Registry Monitor, I can see that the AutoFanSpeedParams value gets set properly by the Power user registry editor, but the low-level fan control dialog only writes this registry entry - it never reads it. In fact, no-one reads it except for the registry editors.

So the question is simply - how does one get RivaTuner to reprogram the ADT7473? Or isn't this possible at all?

And yes - I have read http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2243087 and http://home.comcast.net/~boogieman1954/8800 fan speed guide.htm . It just seems silly to implement your own fan control algorithm (in a not too convenient way if I may be harsh) when you have a perfectly good, programmable fan controller already on the board!

5. Nexx

Nexx New Member

Ah, solved. I rebooted and now it works. :) It wasn't enough to restart RivaTuner.

At least the next person with the same problem may find this...

Never mind then.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

First, not all boards are equipped with programmable fan controllers. Second, not all users wish to link fan speed with temeprature. I'm the one preffering to link with to 2D/3D modes.

Everything is much simplier. You don't have either restart OS or even RT to get automatic fan control params changed. You just have to click the Apply button.