GTX 1080 (reference) - strange flickers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by anatomyhorror, Jun 9, 2016.

1. anatomyhorror

anatomyhorror Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 reference
    I haven't been able to test thoroughly and won't get to until later....

So I just got a 1080 reference card, my first Nvidia card since early 2000's. It performs great in games, so far but like I said not tested extensively.

My issue is that say I have youtube or hbonow or something open and I'm on a different tab in Firefox. The screen will flicker from time to time. It's a very fast flicker, almost like like a blink of an eye. (It flickers black for just a frame or 2, then back to normal)

There's no errors in event viewer, the gpu usage isn't spiking, temps are chilling at 32ish celcius.

It's also happened if I don't have a youtube video in fullscreen, it will flicker while watching the video. If I'm fullscreen it hasn't done it to me yet. I watched hbogo for about 45min and it never flickered.

Anyone have the same thing happen to them? Should I return the card? Is this normal? I've seen others say with previous cards it could be an HDMI issue? This never happened on my 7950 in the same machine I currently have, which was also using HDMI.

W10, i7 6700k, gtx 1080 reference card, asus z170-a, 16gb ddr4 2666 corsair, 750w corsair psu, 1080p/60hz monitor

*Mine is not an artifacting flicker as seen here which seems to be fairly common - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJt9WMhDBwU&

*This is a pretty fresh system, it has had 1 set of AMD drivers installed which were removed in safe mode via DDU, and now it has had 1 set of nvidia drivers.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. anatomyhorror

anatomyhorror Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 reference
    Still need to test more but it only did it so far on youtube and hbonow. Both of these sites use flash. It never happened when I was watching twitch which I believe uses html5.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Youtube uses HTML5 by default now (and your video confirms that your browser used the HTML5 player), Twitch uses Flash.

It could be caused by faulty display cable but then again if it only happens when doing certain things...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  4. anatomyhorror

anatomyhorror Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 reference
    I actually swapped out cables this morning from the pc to receiver atleast. My monitor is still using the same hdmi cable to receiver. Just got home and I have had a youtube video no pause and a twitch video playing and no flicker yet fingers crossed.

5. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I think it's a driver bug... this happens on my GTX960 too on any of the 368.xx drivers. It seemed to happen when the driver changes "P-States", between low power (P8 State) and (P0 State) full clocks.

I rolled back to 365.19 driver and the problem goes away. You'll probably need to wait for Nvidia to fix it, the GTX10 series isn't supported on the older drivers.

6. anatomyhorror

anatomyhorror Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 reference
    ^While what you could be true for the 10xx series I still haven't had any flickers tonite thankfully (since swapping out HDMI cable).

7. anatomyhorror

anatomyhorror Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 reference
    I spoke too soon, this still happens. A restart will eliminate it completely (for a while) if it's really acting up. I might have to reboot again a few days later. Sometimes a browser restart will fix it too.

W/e I can deal. Games run great and I've had zero issues with those.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  9. anatomyhorror

anatomyhorror Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 reference
    That's a different issue that seems to do with gsync and 144hz from what I understand. I linked a video in my first post which was also linked in that thread (and what I experience is no where near that bad.) They could very well be related though so that's good if it's fixed soon.

Possibly, someone else mentioned the card switching from low to high powered states as well. I was trying to reproduced it real quick but I can't at the moment. I can't remember if I just monitored gpu usage or if I looked at both core/mem speeds. I know the usage doesn't change much if at all when it happens.