New Graphics Card: Is it compatible and should I bother?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by vinestone, Apr 28, 2015.

1. vinestone

vinestone Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Hi,

I’m looking at getting a new graphics card for my computer since my old one is pretty much fried. My computer is a Gateway FX6860, about 3 and half years old, with the following specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 19-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 16.0GB DDR3 Memory
    Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce GTX560Ti 1280MB
    Hard Drive: 128GB Solid-State Drive + 2TB Hard Drive
    System type: 64-bit Operating System
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

The fan on my current graphics card have become extremely loud (sounds like an airplane) and it has difficulty running new games on the highest settings. Subsequently I’m looking at upgrading to the GeForce GTX 970. So I’m wondering if this card compatible with my PC (the exact model I’m looking at is: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card)? And if so is this a good idea or should I instead be looking at buying a whole new system?

Thanks!

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Should be fine, unless you're running a dodgy old motherboard.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Psu? You might want to check the exact m/b you have and see if there are any bios updates available.

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Yeah no reason to buy a new system, pretty decent cpu.

Just need the mobo and PSU info.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's using an H67 chipset mobo a according to Gateway and there are two available BIOS's on their site but one is for W8 support the other is ivy-bridge and USB 3.0 support.

I would say go for the 970 but you may want to put a better PSU in there. Although the 560Ti and the 970 draw about the same amount of power but a quality PSU is never a bad idea.

6. vinestone

vinestone Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Here is some more info I took from my PC's System Information in case it is relevant:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description: Not Available
    OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: FX6860
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P02-A2, 31/10/2011
    SMBIOS Version: 2.6
    Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory: 16.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory: 12.4 GB
    Total Virtual Memory: 16.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory: 11.9 GB
    Page File Space: 0 bytes

I'm not entirely sure about my PC's PSU. I opened it up and took a picture of the unit. I'm not entirely sure where it state's what its wattage is? Also do you think I should get a new PSU if I upgrade to the GTX 970 and if so do you have any recommendations on a specific one?

[​IMG]

Also here is a picture of the inside of my PC just to give an idea of the overall system:

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    It should work with the 970 but you'll probably looking at a PSU replacement very soon I think.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's claiming that it is a 750W unit with 648W on the 12V rail. It's even 80plus certified. Honestly you should be good, but I'm not too familiar with FSP group. Another Guru may have more info on them.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I think that psu should be fine.

10. vinestone

vinestone Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Alright thanks guys, I appreciate all the help! One more question:

Here are a couple of pictures of my current graphics card which came pre-installed in the computer when I bought it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What exactly needs to be removed when I get the new card, is that entire unit the graphics card or is the circuit board on top a part of the PC that needs to stay? I'm really not very knowledgeable when it comes to the internal components of a computer and I don't want to accidentally break anything or remove important parts that need to be left in place when removing my old GPU and putting in my new GTX 970 graphics card.

Any advice you can give based on those pictures would be phenomenal, or if there are any videos of people removing this type of card from a similar type of pc than that would be great too.

Thanks again for all the help!

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    The whole card gets removed along with the 2 pcie cables. I would get a can of air a get all the dust out of the whole pc including cpu cooler, fans etc. Your case does not look like its got great airflow tbh, I would go with a reference design 970 that will shoot the hot air out the back of the case.

EDIT: The video card is probably held in place by a screw that needs to be taken out. The pci e slot should have a small mechanism that locks into place. You can`t just pull the card out. Your m/b probably has that but its possible as well that it is does not.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    FSP is a pretty big OEM vendor. Antec, EVGA, and Thermaltake use them for their mid to lower end power supplies.

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    FSP are OEM PSU suppliers that make PSU's for other brands and has only a few OEM PSU's in pre-builts which are decent.

EVGA NEX PSU's are FSP, Silverstone strider series, Cooler Master Elite Pro series...

Also about 45% of all OCZ PSU's come from FSP.

14. vinestone

vinestone Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    How can I tell if it's reference cooled?

The specific card I am looking at is this:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card

It's on Amazon.ca since I'm from Canada (it won't let me post the direct link for some reason).

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:

16. vinestone

vinestone Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    I bought the PC in store and haven't done much work on it, so it just came like that. Guess the interior isn't laid out too well for heat exchange. I certainly have issues with heating, my fans get very loud while running games, although I've opened it up before and identified that my current GTX 560Ti fan is the really noisy one, so hopefully getting a new GPU will fix that issue.

The next PC I buy will be liquid cooled, I'm tired of noisy fans.

17. vinestone

vinestone Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Your current card is probably cacked with dust. You never removed it to clean the card?

19. vinestone

vinestone Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    I've opened the case before and dusted with a cloth and cleaned out the fans and interior with canned air. It didn't make a difference on fan noise. I've never physically removed the graphics card and cleaned it that way though.

Do you think it's more likely that the noisy GPU fan is a result of dust build up versus a problem with the physical unit? By the way when I say the fan get's loud I mean it's like an airplane and the case is vibrating (I've checked the other fans and the problem is only with the GTX 560Ti fan).

20. vinestone

vinestone Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Well I just placed the order on the EVGA GTX 970. Let's hope it survives being shipped and that I can figure out how to install it when it arrives. Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated! :)