KickassTorrents founder arrested - Facing 30 years

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by (.)(.), Jul 21, 2016.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Torrents are great for sharing user mods such as this one for ARMA 3 when other options are viable or slower. Yes, i did place this here to avoid the thread getting locked for potentially encouraging pirating.

2. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Kinda sucks TBH, used it to download a lot of Linux distro's and games to check out if they were worth it. Wonder if things will go like TPB, they're still alive and kicking. BTW, beware of the many fake sites (cached ones too) that are going to pop up. Less informed users will undoubtedly download some nasty viruses.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Apple and Facebook May Have Given the U.S. Government Personal Details About Vaulin
    "Records provided by Apple showed that tirm@me.com conducted an iTunes transaction using IP Address 109.86.226.203 on or about July 31, 2015. The same IP Address was used on the same day to login into the KAT Facebook Account. Then, on or about December 9, 2015, tirm@me.com used IP Address 78.108.181.81 to conduct another iTunes transaction. The same IP Address was logged as accessing the KAT Facebook Account on or about December 4, 2015."

USA, worldwide police on copyright infringement!

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

[​IMG]

5. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    Piracy causes losses of billions of $ who could be spent to finance the "moderate" guys in Irak and Syria.

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    The same apple who only a few months ago refused to assist in breaking in to the phone of a suspected bomber. Nice to see where apple draws the line when it comes to crime.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Can I sue city for not preventing stolen goods from being resold on its grounds?
    Can I sue police for it?

In case of torrents, content is not even resold, it is just given out. Yes, one can call it accessory to crime, but on other hand, so are all involved internet providers.
    Only if those people who pirate stuff would go and buy given content once they would have no other option.
    In most cases people who pirate anything of economical value can't afford it without greatly reducing their living standard.
    And that's why it is rare to see that actual person who downloaded such thing is being dragged in front of court and sentenced to pay damages.
    Because in most cases it results in personal bankruptcy and decades of debt.

So it is considered as less effort and less damaging to society to bring down torrent sites. As that brings those few financially stable pirates to real shops.
    - - - -
    But I would bring something else. Those people who pirate games, movies, whatever. They do it to kill time.
    What would those people do in case they were bored?

Imagine that 95% of your entertainment is taken away from you for good. What would you do? That's damn interesting question for me.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    In most cases pirates wouldn't buy what they pirate. This doesn't take away from the fact that piracy costs the gaming industry billions

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I understand what you're getting at. But If the person downloading the game has no intention of ever buying it in the first place, how is that considered a lost sale?

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    There's a lot of people out there who would love to buy games but can't afford to. So they buy some games and can't afford to buy the rest, do they'll pirate those games. Just an example.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is one additional effect. There are many kids who would grow up not playing PC games at all without piracy.
    And once those are grown up and able to pay... They'll not care about PC games, because they never played PC games in 1st place.

I can say from own perspective that if piracy was not a thing, my time with PC as a kid would be mostly Delphi programming. As I spent already a lot of time programming on C64.
    Warcraft/Starcraft, Total Annihilation, and Baldur's Gate saga played 20 times around. I have bought dozens other games.

But if it was not for access to 'free' games I would slowly grow away from gaming as I would spend that time with other activities.

Now I can say I have bought hundreds of games. And I would not do that if there was not piracy.
    - - - -
    Yes, it sometimes destroys studio. I loved Sacred, but I did not buy Sacred 2 (not even pirated it) because they released it with that awful DRM to counter pirating. I got it later from steam, too late for studio.

13. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I'm quoting myself:

" If it wasn't for these torrent sites, i would of never have bought half the games and movies i own. I downloaded borderlands GOTY, to try it out, and then i bought it. Also there's some hard to find movies you cant find anywhere else, torrent sites should be left alone. "

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I really wonder why they bother. Took them how long to kill this website? It's so easy to set up a site that gives magnet links.

I also find myself agreeing with The General probably the first time ever.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What are tor sites used for most? Movies, games and musics?

I think in time as things become easier to stream, torr sites will naturally faze themselves out as users go elsewhere.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    we may need some next gen philosophers to solve this "piracy" dilemma, may take a while...

17. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Heck, Cheap Trick had to sue them [I-Tunes] just to get royalties owed to them. And they won.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't think so. At least for games. Two large issues come to mind. I don't think DRM is going to get any more relaxed. Superfluous online checks, limited activations, and shoddy required download launcher/clients come to mind.
    And second, there is almost no way to try before you buy. Games are expensive, and their are a lot of them. I don't think the "buy on steam and return within two hours of play time" solution is adequate.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If you're telling the truth which I doubt, you are in the minority of people who pirate a game and then actually buy it. And no excuse really for the movies. Just because its hard to find doesn't mean you should pirate it.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Let's not fool ourselves. Pirates do not contribute to content sales. No way does piracy contribute to the sales of anything, overall.