9800 GT fan speed control

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by rum_one, Dec 10, 2008.

1. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 676/1730/975 512mb
    Hi, I have a Palit 9800 GT. The fan is very noisy, but the graphics card quite cool at max 48 degrees so I wish to slow it down a bit.

However, rivatuner only affects the fan speed with low level fan control; driver level does not appear to work. Also, incresing the fan speed in low level fan control decreases the fan speed, and decreasing it actually increases the fan speed.

This would all be fine, except that the card has seperate clocks fpor 2d and 3d, and when setting the fan speed in rivatuner it does not then correctly adjust its speed when in 3d mode. This gives a major performance hit so is not worth it for a quiet fan. I also cannot even set the memory speed up to full speed in 2d mode, so can't set the clocks the same for all modes.

Is there anything else I can try? Thanks.

2. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    ok, kind of fixed the problem; installed rivatuner 2.21, and now the core and memory clocks change when in 3d mode. The driver level fan control still doesn't work though, and low-level is still back to front. But not really a problem.

All seemed good until I launched 3dmark 06; despite the clocks jumping to the correct levels when in 3d (monitored by both gpu-z and rivatuner), there is a performance hit of 5-10 fps when low-level fan control is enabled. When I reset to defaults and disable the fan control, everything goes back to normal.

Anybody else experienced this or have I missed something? Any help would be much appreciated.

3. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    Anyone? Please?! The card is not throttling due to overheating, if that helps. It is just literally that whenever low-level fan control is applied that performance decreases in all 3d applications.

4. Clocker1980

Clocker1980 New Member

GPU:
    Palit9800GT@690/1700/2000
    Hello, rum_one.
    I am from Russia. I have Palit 9800GT on RED PCB and know some BAGS and FEATURES.
    BUGS (for GREEN PCB all normal):
    1) Super fan noise, i solve this problem by connecting fan to +5V.
    2) In auto mode fan have no regulation.
    3) In 3DMark06 only 10500 on my config.
    FEATURES( or BUGs))) )
    1) In RivaTuner switch fan speed to 100% and launch 3DMark06, surprised? I am too, i have 13500 score it is like on over 9800GT from over brands. It is "turbo" mode )))

PS: If in turbo mode GPU temp reaches 70C the "turbo" mode switching off and you must adjust fan speed to 100% again.

I tryed to flash BIOS from Sonic version, but it gives low result in 3dmark06, and no "turbo". WTF Sonic )))

Now i want to correct BIOS to switch "turbo" forever, but need help of asm programmers.

5. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    That is really strange. I have the red pcb too, and have just tried setting fan to 100%- got a 700 point 3dmark increase, but i guess that its smaller because my cpu is holding me back a bit. I'm going to try hooking the fan up to the power supply and control the speed with a resistor, and see if that solves both problems. Thanks for your help!

6. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, if I set the card to 100 % fan in rivatuner but connect the fan to the power supply and slow it down with a variable resistor, I get faster performance and a quiet fan! Thanks so much for the help, has sorted out my problem AND added some extra performance I didn't know I was missing out on!! Really strange that the cards are configured this way. It really does heat up a bit when fan is set to 100 % though, so I guess it's just getting more power or something.

7. Clocker1980

Clocker1980 New Member

GPU:
  8. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks, have done and have posted my experiences. Have been playing a lot with this; have put the fan pin back in to the gpu, and set up rivatuner to put 100 % fan with driver control when memory clock goes over 900 MHz. Then i set rivatuner to set fan speed 75 % with low-level control (equates to 25 % fan speed) when the momory clocks back down to below 600 MHz. This has given me a quiet computer during windows sessions, and a high-performing (albeit noisy!) computer for 3D!

I have also managed to set my overclock a lot higher with the fan at 100 %, so I think the card must ask for more power at 100 % fan speed.

9. Clocker1980

Clocker1980 New Member

GPU:
    It is true. And GPU temp is more rising. During my tests i found appliaction that makes GPU temp more rising than some games. It is AtiTool 0.27 in "Show 3D View" mode.

10. Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker Member

GPU:
    Palit 9800gt
    Well this graphic card has given me nothing but headaches. I have found all of the above bugs on my palit 9800gt graphic card plus more.

The memory artefacts at stock 900mhz speed so i had to downclock it by 50mhz, it is constantly switching to 2d clocks when in 3d applications. I fixed that by flashing the bios to the same clocks for 2d and 3d.

And dont let me start about the drivers, all the latest 180 drivers give me a strange stutter effect in games and 3d applications, sort of hiccups, where everyithing is smooth then it stutters for a seccond which is wery annoying.

I found that the most stable drivers which doesnt stutter in 3d are on the palit site which are based on 178.23. They also give a warning for official nvidia drivers: * There is some error at NVidia driver version 177.79 and 177.83. Please download suitable driver from Palit Download Service. If they where to write what kind of error is there it would all be less complicated for the user then it allready is.

I bought this card for one purpose only which is playing GTA IV, that i cannot do because the one drivers which dont stutter are to old and they give a missing texture issue. So i cannot play it propperly :bang:

I have tried to flash with sonic bios but nvflash says that the card id is not the same as the one in this bios. Then i tried to flash it with non sonic version which i found on mvktech and it goes through the flash only to find out that it completly scrambles my screen so i had to blind flash it back to the original.

I am utterly dissapointed by palit, that they are selling bugged down half working graphic cards so i reccomend anybody who tries to buy the stock red non sonic version of palit 9800gt card even if it is priced way cheeper than others to stay away from it!

The only positive thing that i have to say about it is that it has waranty and i will be returning it right after the holidays and i will give some extra € for a normal working ATI card :nerd:

11. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    There is a new bios for the card released by palit that fixes the fan speed related performance issues. Also, general performance and overclockability has increased for me as well; at stock my card now outperforms my previous overclock.

The only downside is that the card stays at 3d clocks all the time, so does not save power when in 2d mode. I am impressed with the fan though, i can run it silently on 25% and the card never goes above 70 degrees.

overall got to agree though, bit of a shoddy card and has been a lot of hassle to get working as it should.

12. Ignotus

Ignotus New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT
    I've got an XFX 8800GT (not a lot of difference between 8800GT and 9800GT I think :confused: ) and control the fan through 'driver' level control, but mine too frequently reverses itself. :bang: I've experienced this with my current driver which is 180.48 and the one prior to that with the version of Riva Tuner prior to 2.20. I upgraded Riva Tuner to 2.20 specifically for that reason, but it wasn't resolved, so now I'm going to try 2.22 with the 180.48 driver. I may also try the low level fan control. I just wanted to point out that I'm using a similar video card chipset and I've also experienced the reversed settings in Riva Tuner. It will be working correctly one minute (70% fan setting running at 70% duty cycle) and then during a game the fan will suddenly drop to 30% duty cycle even though the display says it's still at 70%. If I manually change it to 30%, then the fan speeds up to 70% duty cycle. I can tell the difference because I can hear the fan at 70% and cannot hear it at 30%. :nerd: I hope this can be corrected in Riva Tuner at some point, whether it's the driver causing it or not, maybe Riva Tuner will be able to detect the change and auto-correct in the future.;)

EDIT: The display/overlay will also sometimes flip from 70% to 30% but the fan's actual duty cycle will stay at 70% (I know this because I can hear the fan running at 70%). If I then go to the launcher in the system tray and change it to 70%, the overlay will display 70%, but the fan will drop to 30% (I know this because I cannot hear the fan when it's running at 30%).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  13. Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker Member

GPU:
    Palit 9800gt
    Hy there mate, well i still have my palit 9800gt and, am still having all of the above problems.

I would really appreciate if you could give me a link to that new bios or even better if you could send it to me, thanks :)

14. conar

conar New Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Can you give a link to the BIOS or PM me details please?

15. rum_one

rum_one Member Guru

GPU:
    Hi, sorry to everyone who has asked me for the bios, have not been onthis site for a while. I have uploaded it to sendspace, the link should hopefully work for a while.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/la5qhk

This is the bios clocker1980 sent me, which has fixed the problems we have reported. Hope it helps!

16. Bantas

Bantas Guest

GPU:
    asus
    Hello, sry for reviving this old thread, i was looking around on the internet to fix my palit 9800gt and i found this forum.

please rum_one or someone can give an update link?, i also tried in another side with alot of bios but no one did it work.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  17. Bantas

Bantas Guest

GPU:
    asus