Borderlands 2 + MSI 670 oc + Physx High

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mentalpeace, Sep 26, 2012.

1. mentalpeace

mentalpeace Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 Oc edition
    Hey, i bought a MSI 670 OC edition yesterday.

There is an outstanding difference comparing with a 6850 crossfire. Everything seems smoother, and im not talking about FPS, it is a different feeling... 45 fps ingame with the 670 seems like 60 fps in the crossfire. Also everything looks smoother in terms of quality.

I love how it works for Physx. Batman (Max settings Dx11 Physx high) is REALLY enjoyable. Mafia II is lovely.

The thing is in Borderlands 2 (1080, Max setings, Physx high) when a lot of action is going on (especially with 3 team mates) the fps go as low as 38 or so... its kinda annoying. The GPU usage at those moments are 60%~ so i figured that must be a driver problem.

Sorry for the english!

2. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I do believe it is a driver problem with the 6xxx series. Lots of reports of 560-580 cards getting better performance. Hopefully it is sorted out soon.

3. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    Its physx, having it on high with lots of stuff happening kills FPS quick. I've got a single 680 overclocked to 1290 and I get slow downs in huge battles with physx on high (1680x1050).

Physx has always been a taxing technology. try installing the latest 0613 physx from nvidia but thats really all you can do for now. Otherwise, drop it a notch.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.0613-driver.html

Physx will render cloth and stuff happening in the area you in not just particles from guns / etc. Keep this in mind alot of times thats why you are seeing slowdowns, it's not just whats happening from the battle...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I get the performance dips with Physx on medium and high. Sometimes even when there are no particles, only complicated scenery in the distance I will drop to 40-50. GPU usage never goes above 70% at any time either. Some on Neogaf have reported Nvidia is aware of the issue and that it mostly affects the 6xx series. Many are getting better performance on 570/580.

Along with the vsync stutter issue that plagued these cards, I wonder if there is a very real defect in the hardware somewhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is from a trustworthy source. Can any of the Nvidia officials here comment on this?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

5. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    Its because of the dynamic clocks. They really need to disable that entirely if you choose a high performance setting. I set mine for max performance, but from what I understand if a game isn't pushing it hard and the usage is low the clock can drop causing these "performance" drops. With mine at max performance I've never seen the clock drops.

6. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    My clocks stay steady through the performance drops.

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nvidia officials have commented about it over at GeForce.com. There should be a patch for Borderlands 2 that increases performance from Gearbox/2k and I'm assuming there will be one at a driver level too.

8. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    I meant in general, thats why the 400/500 series are sometimes perceived as faster. I use max performance and mine only drops when it's idle. it doesnt drop in any game, some people dont change that setting though in the driver CP.

9. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Just confirmed, and at least for me, that setting didn't have any effect on Borderlands 2 performance. I am pretty sure that setting is just placebo on the 6xx series cards.

10. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    I know, the borderlands 2 issue is different. I always run mine set for max performance, it's water cooled and I've got a 1100 watt PSU so I dont care about heat or power used.

11. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Is there any evidence that max performance setting actually does anything for the 6 series? If I run into issues it is the first thing I try, and it always has the same end result of making no difference.

12. mentalpeace

mentalpeace Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 Oc edition
    Ok so all we gave to do is wait for a patch.

Im so impressed right now with the overall performance that i dont care waiting like 3 months for it :D.

Best videocard i bought in many many years. (8600gt - 8800gt - ati 4850 - amd 5850 - amd 6850 Toxic crossfire - 670 GTX).

Its a freaking monster.

13. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    yea it down clocks different steps. i think the max performance option is either low clock / idle or max clock / loaded.

using the power option lets the card clock down over multiple clock speed steps.

14. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Give an example.

15. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    670 owner here. Never have issues with The game. Physx is on high and all maxed at 1920x1200. Stays pegged at 60 fps for me.

16. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    If i turn on physx high and play coop with my 670, the framerate drops are terrible.

17. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    yes, i've noticed, while using fraps, that just staring into the distance in certain directions in certain areas drops my fps into the 30's and 40's on a GTX 670. strange

18. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Could it be hdd related? I moved my game to ssd right after install. I have a system like many of you, but mine has been trouble free. I have been in some big 4 way coop fights and never have trouble.

19. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    same here trouble free and i dont have an ssd ,pegged at 60.1fps i do use vsync

20. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    I use vsync too. Maybe that is the secret ...