Windows not booting anymore after inserting another SSD

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Solfaur, May 4, 2015.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    So today my SSD arrived, I managed to physically install it just fine along my other old corsair force gt SSD into the 2 intel sata 3 ports (my other HDDs went into the remaining sata 2 ports and the optical drive into marvel). All well and good until I fired up my PC... and to my frustration it will not boot anymore. I didn't even touch my old SSD (which has the OS on it), all I did was put the OCZ into the slot my 2tb WD caviar black was in, move that one level lower and move my optical drive from sata 2 (where the caviar now is) to marvel. Both the corsair and ocz show up in bios and even if I put the boot priority to my corsair it still won't boot. All the drives, including HDDs and optical drive show up in bios... what shall I do?:wanker:

btw, i did disconnect the ocz and tried to start the pc without it but it still won't boot. :bang:

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Disconnect all drives except the OCZ SSD and see if you can pass POST status. If it doesn't post upgrade your BIOS.

If it does post status, add other HDDs/SSD one by one until you figure out the conflict. Also please clear CMOS.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    The ssd is fine, I did disconnect everything except it and it is recognized in bios and also it goes to post status screen until the message pops up "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" - the same message that I get when everything is connected.

I also cleared CMOS and the screen after the first boot recognized every single drive in the proper sata port but it still wouldn't boot into windows. One thing I noticed is if I disconnet only the optical drive and leave all ssds/hdds connected, immediatly after motherboard logo screen I get the system needs to be repaired/restored message, with windows theme and all.

The bios that I have is the latest and pretty much last one available for my motherboard, had to install it when I upgraded my gpus since they weren't recognized otherwise.

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    If I understand correctly, the system will start to boot (albeit with a repair message) if you have the ODD unplugged from the Marvel slot? Does it do the same if an HDD is plugged into the Marvel slot? I didn't think that motherboard had a Marvel Controller...

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Or probably boot priority issue, set your main disk as main boot drive in uefi.. Looks like windows can't find it anymore and glitches by windows boot.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well I did pretty much everything by this point, ended up having only the ssd with windows on it plugged and then with the optical drive as well so i can run chkdsd and diskpart. chkdsk correctly sees the files, even the fact that it has 60 Gb used and 50 free, diskpart also sees the only partition there is as active, however neither automatic repair (which I ran like 20 times) neither system restore (and I have several restore points made) works...

Also the third party controller where my optical drive is in is an asmedia not marvel, my bad.

File: \Boot\BCD

Error code: 0x000000f

is the message that I get if I have only the ssd with os on it plugged. :bang:

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Do you have a Windows installation usb stick? I'd try just the corsair plugged in and boot from the usb to install Windows. Our with just the ocz and install Windows on that.

8. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Start windows repair with a Windows installation disc or USB. Start command line and use the command BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd and select the drive you would like to rebuild the BCD on

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

@Solfaur

It sounds like you have fallen 'victim' to the complexity that now is Windows boot :S.

Ideally, you use UEFI boot instead of legacy boot. With UEFI boot, you will see your bios logo until the logon/desktop screen of Windows is loaded, you will never see the Windows boot logo.

When you install Windows, it creates multiple partitions on the drive. This includes system partitions, recovery partitions etc. Windows does not boot directly, when you boot the computer it first boots the boot manager on the system partition, then loads Windows.

For you, it sounds like this 'redirection' per say isn't working. Most likely, it seems, your system partition is on another drive, maybe you 2 TB Western Digital. This can happen if you originally were using that as your OS drive. This can occur even if you are doing a clean install booting from USB etc, since it will see the boot manager on that device.

The boot priority is most likely checking out your current SSD first, then using the boot partition off your western digital, maybe :).

Even if that isn't the issue, it's worth checking out. All I can suggest is, if you get back into Windows backup the stuff off that drive you want to delete, then delete any system partitions on other drives (and resize those active partitions later), delete all the partitions on your existing SSD so it is one solid block of unallocated space, and the same with your new SSD (unallocated space).

Make sure your new SSD is initialised as 'GPT' but don't create partitions.

Reinstall Windows off a USB in UEFI mode - this is extremely easy to set up. I recommend using the fastest USB drive possible :).
    Just:
    • initialise the USB drive as GPT (ideally)
    • format the USB drive as fat32
    • open the Windows ISO and copy the files to the USB drive
    • copy bootx64.efi to the root folder (some say this isn't required, but some need it to work)
    • reboot your computer and select to boot from the USB device as UEFI

It should load the Windows setup upon reboot. You don't need to mess around with the shell commands in the bios.

When in the setup and selecting the device to install Windows to, DO NOT manually create the partition your self. Just select the unallocated space and Windows will set the partitions up for you. If you manually start creating partitions you can stuff up the boot setup stuff :).

You have to make sure no other boot partition is still available on your system, as this will also stuff up the install.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I did that and it correctly finds the C:\Windows installation on the old ssd and when it asks if I want to add installation to boot list I tipe Yes and the message is - The requested system device can not be found, I did this with all ssds hdds and optical drive connected in the case that bcd would be on one if the hdds.

Also all my ssds drives are solid volumes, no partitions on any of them.

I'll try out some more things since I googled the crap out of this and will most likely do a clean install in the evening as painful as it may be...

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    fingers crossed it all works out good. Clean install is always less painful than you remember, I did a clean install on this OCZ when it came and it was a breeze.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Install from USB, it's incredibly quick when installing to a nice SSD.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yep, took me no time, once installed, it was a few hours until I got everything set up, but really, it's not that bad.

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well since I cant acces the PC it's impossible for me to install from anywhere else but the windows 8 dvd... however I went ahead to do this, made a new "partition" on the new ssd, formated it and to my frustration windows doesn't want to install on it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also see disk 1 is labeled "System" since it still has windows on it but won't boot. When I tried system refresh it told me that the drive is locked and that I need to unlock it, tried to nothing worked. Anyway now I can't install windows on any of the ssds hdds it gives the same error message. Neither did I format the old ssd and try to install there since I'm affraid I'll get the same message as on OCZ one.

Seriously though I'm sorry for taking over this thread but this problem is busting my brain out. :bang:

Every post here is written from my windows phone so bare with me.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Secure boot enabled in the BIOS?

Need UEFI GPT install media?

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I have no ideea of a secure boot option in my BIOS, haven't seen any. What do you mean uefi gpt install media? I'm using the windows 8 dvd, which worked no problem 2,years ago when I installed it on my old corsair ssd.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thinking about it, if secure boot was enabled, I don't think the machine would have even booted from the DVD

You can use Rufus to create GPT UEFI bootable USB sticks

Try booting from a USB stick instead of the DVD

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Solfaur, Partition 1 shows up as Primary, meaning there is data on there, likely GPT protected.

If you select the SSD, then hit Delete (thus clean the drive) and then install on it does it work ?

BTW I might move these posts out of this thread into a separate thread. This definitely is software or BIOS related on your end.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    GZ! Your 4k performance in both benches is great. Enjoy

Bring it on, I'm happy to be part of it.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    When I first got into the setup screen the SSD showed up as Drive 0 Unallocates Space so I had to hit the New button, there I maxed out the parameters and created Drive 0 Partition 1, then I hit format and clicked next. Before hitting next the message was the one in thw picture above and when I do hit next I get "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.

Feel free to move my posts since I know they bloat this thread, it's just that I'm pretty much at my wit's end with this problem.