Issue with wifi speed

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by bronemos, May 4, 2017.

1. bronemos

bronemos Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    Hello everyone,
    I've been getting this weird issue past few days with my wifi, basically the problem is that download speed of my wifi on my computer is significantly lower than the speed I get on my phone. Weird thing is that my upload speed stays the same both on my pc and phone. I'm using qualcomm atheros ar9845 wifi adapter on my pc. Before this issue appeared I was getting same speeds both on my phone and pc. I've tried plugging my pc wired into the router and it worked perfectly, but due to inconvinient position of my router I can't keep it there.
    I've tried updating drivers as well as reverting them to older versions, however that didn't help.
    Thanks in advance for any help provided,
    Bronemos

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    possibility of something near your router and or computer that is interfering with wifi connection? or some new electronic in the house many thing can interfer with wifi connection speeds.

Try 2ghz if using 5ghz and or vis versa if possible.

3. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    For good WiFi, antenna position on both ends along with picking a lesser-used channel is about the best you can do. The 2.4GHz spectrum is getting more crowded all the time, so I'd recommend getting newer "ac" spec equipment if you absolutely must have a desktop on wireless.

For placement, I'd recommend to get both the router and PC antennas a good 6ft/2m above the floor. It can be a pain to get it set up right, but its worth it. Stuff like wall wiring and appliances will be lower than that, so your signal will be better.

Or... a 50 or 100ft ethernet cable isn't that expensive and is worth avoiding wireless headaches that always crop up at some point.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my friend cant even use 2.4ghz on her property anymore, if 2.4ghz some connects to device its so slow it might as well not be connected.

6ft or higher is good idea though, Wish I could do that with rewiring wired connections that are already fished threw floors and walls cables arnt long enough to do that though