Odd driver signing behaviour

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by gooseboy, Jun 24, 2007.

1. gooseboy

gooseboy New Member

GPU:
    Chaintech 8800GTS 320Mb
    Any ideas with this one? I battled for a while to install Rivatuner 2.01 on Vista x64 due to the issue with unsigned drivers but after a few attempts it helpfully offered to disable the driver signing for me, and all worked well. Recently I needed to uninstall a few things, including Rivatuner. Now trying to reinstall I'm back to being unable to do this - I've tried disabling driver signing from the boot menu (F8), I've tried the "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON" and I've tried reinstalling Rivatuner for the 14th time, but it stubbornly refuses an offer to disable driver signing and on every install attempt Vista complains about this.

Any ideas how to force Rivatuner to offer to disable driver signing (since that worked on the one occasion it did offer it)? Or any other suggestions to force Vista to disable driver signing? I'm tearing my hair out here, I would think it should be pretty easy to do...

2. gooseboy

gooseboy New Member

GPU:
    Chaintech 8800GTS 320Mb
    Bump - nobody got an idea which may help?

3. Stranded Witch

Stranded Witch Member

I tried to install/uninstall RivaTuner 2.01 on Vista x64 the other day it and only asked me to disable driver signing enforcement the first time i installed it - afterwards Vista just kept on complaining about RivaTuner64.sys (the unsigned driver) but I was able to run RT never the less.

Can you or can you not run RT after installing it despite Vista badgering you with prompts about RivaTuner64.sys? The program that notifies you about digitally unsigned drivers present on your computer IS NOT the same one that blocks them. So this means that driver signing enforcement is most likely already disabled on your system (the program that blocks unsigned drivers is not working) but the program that notifies you about unsigned drivers being copied to your computer is still functioning. You can easily disable this program, it is a Vista service actually.

Hope that helps!

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

RT offers you to disable driver signing enforcement under two conditions:

1) If it detects 64-bit Vista OS
    2) If it _cannot_ load driver

So if it is not offering you to disable signing enforcement, then you're either starting it in other OS compatibility mode or signature enforcement is already disabled and driver is loading properly.

5. Stranded Witch

Stranded Witch Member

Well, gooseboy, there you have it.

6. gooseboy

gooseboy New Member

GPU:
    Chaintech 8800GTS 320Mb
    Okay, thanks for the response, let's hope it works - will try again now!

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

If the driver doesn't work - you'lll see "No supported hardware detected" in device status line in the main tab. If you'll see valid device info there then the driver is loaded properly.