AMD Radeon R9 280X suggestion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Uns33n, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    I am planning to upgrade my current 4870 1GB GPU to R9 280X.

Where I stay, this graphics card is available --> SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC

I am unable to find any reviews for this specific Sapphire variant. Everyone is posting either Vapor-X or Toxic reviews and the ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 TOP reviews.

It'll be great if anyone can let me know if SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC is good enough compared to other variants of same technology or not. I would just like to know the difference in terms of performance :) (compared to Vapor-X and ASUS variant).

If anyone has any good links that compares these that would be nice too!

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Vapor-X and Toxic are better coolers. I have a Vapor-X and Dual-X 7950 in crossfire, and while the Dual-X is a great card, the Vapor-X is slightly better, when it comes to cooling. Either way, you can't go wrong with the Dual-X, it'll be a great card. Not sure if they're voltage locked though, you'd have to look that up.

3. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    Thanks for your quick reply! I guess the card does not have voltage locked (also found this link --> http://www.overclock.net/t/1436444/method-required-to-unlock-sapphire-dualx-r9-280x-voltage-please )

Regarding Vapor-X, guess It'll take about a month to arrive here. So, I suppose going for Dual-X is okay?

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The Vapor-X would most likely cost a fair chunk more than the Dual-X. for the price, Dual-X cards are really nice, you really can't go wrong.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

To make the most of the 280x, might be a good idea to replace the 2x2GB modules with 2x4GB modules (assuming you are running x64). Just a suggestion :).

6. Uns33n

Uns33n New Member

GPU:
    AMD 4870 1GB Dual Sonic
    Yes, true. I was just wondering if that fair chunk in cost would be worth it. Also, I'm getting impatient and can't wait for Vapor-X to be available here :)

This is a good suggestion indeed. I have been planning to make that upgrade since months :p