Reference vs Custom cooler for SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by D4rKy21, Sep 19, 2014.

1. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    If i am going to upgrade to SLI later on when nvidia is hopefully bringing a 980 ti with 6 gb or 8 gb vram what is better to do for cooler wise ?

I heard stories that the reference cooler are better for SLI, then the custom coolers, because the third party coolers blow air true the other card that makes them hotter is this true ?

2. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

I went with the ref cooler for that exact purpose.
    My 780 classifieds would dump a crap ton of heat into my case in sli. I didnt mind it except it forces me to run all my case fans at a higher rpm, hence a louder pc that i dont like. My wifes 770 has the blower and its nice and quiet to me.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    There will be no 980 ti a 980 is a full gm204 chip. Vram size is also dependent on the memory bus. 6gb will have to be 384 bit. 8 can be either 256bit or 512bit.

4. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Good to know thanks i think i do the same.

5. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Depends on alot of stuff.

The less Space and airflow you have in the case, the more sense it makes to use blower fans (the reference cooler), as it will suck in whatever air is inside the case, and blow out the hot air outside the case, as opposed to pressure fans (custom coolers) that dumps all the hot air inside the case, and basically heats up the top Card ALOT (worst case scenario is that bottom Card is 70c and top Card 90c when using custom coolers).

However, if you have plenty of Space between the Cards, and ALOT of airflow, then youll likely obtain better performance with custom coolers.

That said, it would be best for the majority of people to go with the reference cooler for sli.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I too would recommend the reference card for SLI.

7. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Tell me oh wise TK, do you Work for nvidia, since you can tell us with 100% certainty, that nvidia wont release gm200 as 980 ti in like half a year ?

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Thats gm200 or 100 Or whatever Iits called. 900 series is gm204. I doubt the titan 2 will have the 980ti name. Did we see a 680ti or a 770ti card. No. Common sense goes a long way.

9. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    We didnt, but nvidia changes their mind about stuff all the time, so do you have some inside knowledge, since you can say with 100% certainty, that there will NEVER come a 980 ti Card, regardless of what chip it is based on ?

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Well since I work at nvidia I got the go ahead to duct tape more rops, tmu and vram to a full gm204 its going to be called the 980ti. Only 1 card will be made just for you as you can't actually upgrade a full product. ie it def won't work. The memory bus has been upgraded to 512 bit. Enjoy.

11. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    As per usual, youre stating your assumptions as facts.

Fact is that you dont know what nvidia will or will not release, but you assume that nvidia wont release a 980 ti. Youre entitled to your opinions, but dont state what you THINK as facts.

That the 980 is based on the gm204 is entirely irrelevant for future releases. For all we know, nvidia could launch titan 2 based on gm200 in 3 months, and then release 980 ti based on gm200 aswell 9 months after that.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Well I do work for nvidia.

13. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    If you did, you would have signed a contract that would legally prevent you from speaking of any future releases.

So no, you dont (and if you did, you could say hello to an incoming lawsuit from nvidia).

Aka, time to quit the bs TK, and stop giving your assumptions out as facts, cause the only certain fact is that you DONT know for a fact, what nvidia will release in the future.

14. klown07

klown07 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC 4gb
    Peace be with you, people.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Tell you what when the 980ti gets released post it in this thread. By the way your 980ti se is ready please deposit $90,000 in my paypal. Duct tape is expensive.

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... i'm sorry... but how exactly is he talking about a future release? Whether or not he actually does work for NVidia... saying that it's not feasibly possible to come out with a Ti version of a 980 as it stands now would probably in no way violate any contract, because he's NOT TALKING ABOUT A PRODUCT! And last time i checked.... DENYING the potential existence of a future product is practically what people who work in the tech industry are INSTRUCTED to do. DOY!

17. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    @OP - If you have two slots between the cards then go custom.

18. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    This should be oke then ? i really dont want to trow my soundblaster Zx away i hate onboard sound.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  19. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

Looks like there is space to separate them but it looks like the sb will be up against the bottom one to me.

20. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Yeah my thought exacly i am a bit worried with that :S