SoftR9700 FAQ

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Q: How do I use RivaTuner's patch scripts? What do I do with these *.rts files?
    A: *.rts files are dedicated for processing with RivaTuner's built-in patch script interpretator. There are two ways to launch *.rts scripts:
    First, you may use RivaTuner's PowerUser tab to open patch script. To do it just press the 'Open patch script button' button then select the script you need (all the scripts are located in the PatchScripts subfolder).
    Second, RivaTuner automatically registers itself as *.rts file handler. So you can just run RivaTuner at least once to register *.rts file extension then simply click the script you need via Windows explorer.

Q: How do I install the SoftR9700 patch script?
    A: Just perform the following sequence of actions:
    1. Extract ATI driver into the temporary folder (e.g. C:\SoftR9700\) with WinZip or just run driver setup to extract driver to its default location (usually C:\ATI\Support\).
    2. Run SoftR9700 patch script (read the previous questions to get instructions on installing *.rts scripts)
    3. Patch script window will appear. Press <Continue> button after reading and accepting SoftR9700 license agreement. Patch script interpretator will offer you to select ati2mtag.sys file.
    4. If you are using generic driver distributive with packed installation files (*.dl_, *.sy_ etc.) then select ati2mtag.sy_ in the 'Files of type' dropdown list. If you use unpacked modified driver ATI drivers (e.g. ripped driver packs from www.radeon2.ru), leave ati2mtag.sys in the 'Files of type' dropdown list.
    5. Select target file in the folder where you've extracted ATI driver. RivaTuner will patch it and display log window. Ensure that it doesn't contain error messages.
    6. Install the driver you have patched. To do it you may either run setup.exe in the folder where you've extracted ATI driver, or use device manager and manually update the driver and specify *.inf file for the patched driver.

Q: How do I verify that SoftR9700 is installed properly?
    A: First, Windows must display 'Radeon 9700' in the Display properties -> Adapter -> Adapter information -> Chip type. Second, OpenGL renderer name must detect Radeon 9700 too (you may verify OpenGL renderer name with specialized software like GLInfo, SiSoft Sandra or simply use some OpenGL games (e.g. use Quake III -> System -> Driver info). Third, you can compare file modification date for %windir%\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys and ati2mtag.sy_ in the driver's distributive. They must be different.

Q: I did it step by step but it didn't work. Is it a bug in script or my R9500 is just unmodable?
    A: The only reason that can cause it is that the script is not properly used (i.e. you have installed the original driver). Please read the previous question carefully and verify your actions step-by-step.

Q: I've downloaded patched ati2mtag.sys and it worked perfectly, but I cannot get RivaTuner's script to work. What's wrong with RivaTuner?
    A: It can only mean that you cannot patch and properly install the driver. Nothing more, nothing less. Please read the previous question carefully and verify your actions step-by-step.

Q: Is there any difference in performance between distributed patched driver and RivaTuner's patch script?
    A: No. Both of them give absolutely equal performance .

Q: I've tried to apply SoftR9700 directly to ati2mtag.sys directly in my windows\System32\drivers folder, but I don't see any difference after reboot. What's wrong?
    A: I don't recommend to patch drivers on-the-fly if you don't know what is Windows file protection and how to avoid it. When digitally signed driver is installed, operating system tracks changes in such files and automatically replaces files when you made any changes in them. Use patching on-the-fly only if you perfectly understand and can perform all the additional steps necessary to avoid Windows file protection (e.g. empty dllcache).

Q: I've performed hardware mod of my R9500 to R9700 and got checkerboards artifacts. Can I fix it with your SoftR9700 script? Will it help me?
    A: No, you cannot and it will not help you. SoftR9700 is a full software analogue of hardware mod, it performs the same thing (i.e. forcing PCI DeviceID at the driver level).

Q: I've modded my R9500 to R9700 with SoftR9700 and got checkerboards artifacts. Can this issue be software related? Should I try an alternate software mod, will it help me?
    A: No, it cannot be software related. Checkerboard artifacts can appear after hardware and after both of software mods. You may try to download modified driver, but it will not help you. Both software mods use driver level PCI DeviceID forcing approach. RivaTuner's script modifies PCI DeviceID request (ANDs and ORs some bits of the PCI DeviceID) so the driver just thinks that the regular R9700 is installed in the system. Similar technique (replacing a lot of DeviceID's in the driver's devices table) is used in the wizaard's patched drivers, walking on the net.

Q: However, I've heard that some people have different results using different mods. Can you explain it?
    A: Some people are just trying to talk about the things that are beyond of their knowledge. It is absolutely impossible.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2003
  2. arbee

arbee Guest

Therefore the problems found when aplying a softmod are due to HW problems within the extra 4 pipelines. And no BIOS change can "cure" it.

That closes the issue for me (new card...)

Arbee

P.S. - BTW, thanks for all your effort - even if it didn't work for me, many gamers are now happier due to your work.

3. Heath3n

Heath3n Guest

Next Question

After a succesfiul conversion using the softr9700 patchscript..is it necessary to flash your card bios?

Went from a 9500 128MB to 9700.

4. Unwinder

No, it is not necessary.

5. Heath3n

Heath3n Guest

Nice...and since I know your paying attention...Great Job on the patch Unwinder....Thanks lots!

6. delerium

delerium Guest

This is not true, In my adapter information it says 9500 AGP (AD). Yet when i run GLinfo it mentions the render as being Radeon 9700. This is strange?

7. delerium

delerium Guest

Ok, I have followed your directions to a T and it still didn't work.

1. I dl'ed the newest ATI Drivers wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg.

2. I dl'ed RivaTuner20RC121, extracted and installed. Also let it run once to build the file types and such.

2. Ran wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg setup, it extracted the files to the default location (c:/ati/support/wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg) I quit the driver setup at the EULA.

3. I then ran the soft9700 patch script with explorer, changed the file type to ati2mtag.sy_ (since it was a generic drivers) found the file in

C:\ATI\support\wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg\2KXP_INF\BX_07038\

Patched the file, it gave no error messages.

Browsing for file ati2mtag.sys... compressed file selected
    Depacking ati2mtag.sy_... succeeded
    Browsing for file ati2mtag.sys... selected 6.14.01.6255, 546560 bytes
    0006e08e> matched sequence has been replaced
    83 f8 40 0f 85 d8 00 00 00 66 81 bd 00 ff ff ff 02 10 0f 85 c9 00 00 00
    66 81 a5 02 ff ff ff fe fe 66 81 8d 02 ff ff ff 00 0e 90 90 90 90 90 90
    File has been successfully patched and saved as ati2mtag.sys
    Backup copy has been saved as ati2mtag.old

I then uninstalled the wizzard drivers, rebooted, on restart it detected it as video adapter. I then ran ran setup.exe from

C:\ATI\support\wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg\

It installed the drivers, rebooted. I then ran GLinfo. It now detects it as 9500.

I have also done a full format, and installed the hacked drivers made from your directions. And with no luck, it shows as a 9500.

There is a flaw somewhere either in the patch script or in your directions. Please read my follow through and see what i did wrong?

8. delerium

delerium Guest

anyone?

9. Unwinder

_How_ could you check it up if you coudn't install the script yet?? Probably you mean wizards hacekd driver that doesn't actually replace PCI DeviceID and swap device table entries instead?

10. Unwinder

It's driver installation issue for sure.

I bet that they are the same.

11. primer567

primer567 Guest

Unwinder, thanks alot man. I now have my Radeon 9500 128MB running @ 9700 with no graphical defects. Now I have a question, if my pipelines work right now is there a chance if I format and have to reinstall my drivers that it could not work? Or am I insured that it will work everytime I reinstall drivers.

12. jimborae

jimborae Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800nu 128mb
    Just posting to say thanks alot Unwinder. After mucking about for 4 hrs trying to get it to work using rivatuner i then read your instructions properly and now I have a softmodded 9700. Now lets hope it overclocks well.!!

Once again thanx alot.

Jim

P.S. No artefacts either. Woohoo

13. DeMesDeux

DeMesDeux Guest

I apologize for the lenght of this message but I am trying to put all the needed informationS.

I have followed all step religiously in your step by step application of the SoftR9700 FAQ .

Used the drivers named:
    wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg.exe

Did an winzip of the driver in D:\ATI\....

Fired up explorer and browsed to the SoftR9700 patch script

Applied that script to the target file (D:\ATI\...\ati2mtag.sy_ )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Browsing for file ati2mtag.sys...
    compressed file selected
    Depacking ati2mtag.sy_...
    succeeded
    Browsing for file ati2mtag.sys...
    selected 6.14.01.6255, 546560 bytes
    0006e08e>
    matched sequence has been replaced
    83 f8 40 0f 85 d8 00 00 00 66 81 bd 00 ff ff ff 02 10 0f 85 c9 00 00 00
    66 81 a5 02 ff ff ff fe fe 66 81 8d 02 ff ff ff 00 0e 90 90 90 90 90 90
    File has been successfully patched and saved as ati2mtag.sys
    Backup copy has been saved as ati2mtag.old
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

After that I uninstalled the previous non patched driver via control panel

rebooted the computer
    cancelled the auto installing

browsed to the patched driver ( d:\ATI...)
    fired setup.exe
    rebooted the computer

and I still have the following information under advance setting card
    Radeon9500 (AD)
    Internal DAC 400mhz
    128MB
    RADEON 9500/9700 SERIES
    Bios: BK-ATI VER008.004.008.003

and this under an french version Windows XP pro SP1

Sapphire Radeon 9500 128MB
    part number:1029423230 070284

If you could help I would appreciate

14. DeMesDeux

DeMesDeux Guest

Problem fixed

Mr Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, I am in your debt.

I finaly fixed my problems.

They were caused by the Windows file protection system

:chainsaw:

Had to boot in Safe mode to hunt and destroy the last remnent of the ati2mtag.sys

After this butchery, I used the standard procedure of patching unzipped driver and use them for instalation

There should be a better way to clean these up but I am having a really bad cold so please bear with my not subtle method.

Fill rate (Multi texturing) 2130.9 Mtexels/sec

Again Thank you Unwinder.

15. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Guest

delerium's problem

Hi all.

I believe delerium may have misunderstood exactly what is the result of the patch on the folder "C:\ATI\support\wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg\2KXP_INF\BX_07038\"
    :

there should now be a...

ati2mtag.sy_ ( which is the original downloaded driver )
    ati2mtag.sys ( which is your patch )
    ati2mtag.old ( unknown to me.. but maybe the decompressed original )

RENAME 'ati2mtag.sy_' as 'ati2mtag.sy_.no'

no means NO... don't use it.

If you look at the creation dates, you'll see that the uncompressed 'ati2mtag.sys' is a newer creation date than the older ( renamed ) 'ati2mtag.sy_ .no'

That's a good thing. WindowsXP will use the *.sys driver, but only if the *.sy_ driver is not present... so just rename it after patching.

After installation, your Display Properties__Advanced__Adapter screen should tell you your chiptype is:

Radeon9700AGP (ND)

And that's a patch.

If you look in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\" you should see

'ati2mtag.sys' with the newer creation date.

Dick

16. Flapjack

Flapjack New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128mb
    Browsing for file ati2mtag.sys... failed

I did it the steps the instructions say but I get this in the log

Depacking ati2mtag.sy_... succeeded
    Browsing for file ati2mtag.sys... failed

I thought it was only supposed to look for one or the other? it looks like it's looking for both files.

17. redbomberman

redbomberman Guest

Radeon 9500 Pro

This is probably a stuipd question, but I'll ask anyway. Would the SoftR9700 patch work on a 9500 Pro? It is my understanding based on an article I read that it has 256-bit bus, that is software limited to 128-bit just like the other cards.

Thanks,

Matt

18. arbee

arbee Guest

Re: Radeon 9500 Pro

Actually, that is an interesting question. The patch identifies the card as a 9700 to the drivers. In principle, all other HW being equal except for the 4 extra pipelines, it should activate them and transform a 9500 in a 9700.

As the 9500 Pro already has 8 functioning pipelines, and if the memory bus is transparent to the drivers, the patch should have no effect.

Now it gets interesting - it seems that there are other differences besides the jumper activated 4 extra pipelines, and one user reported that a friend of his had tried the patch on a 9500Pro and got checkerdoard effects. If confirmed, as the 9500 po already has 8 fully functional pipelines, the checkerboard effects of that card aren't due to broken pipelines, but some other (HW)reason.

But geting back to the issue, there is (and never will be) any advantage in applying the patch to the 9500 Pro since the difference between this card and the real 9700 lies in the memory bus width and no software patch can ever change that.

19. toyotanova

toyotanova Guest

Deus,

Can you explain how you got the patch script to work(e.g. getting rid of windows file protection)

20. redbomberman

redbomberman Guest

Interesting

Well I had read an article, possibly at HardOCP.com but I'm not positive, where the author did a hardware examination of the 9500 Pro and felt that the hardware design was indeed 256-bit, in fact he showed several characteristics to prove it. But then if that was the case, what could have been stopping it up to 128-bit?

That article could also have been at www.firingsquad.com, if I find a link I will post it in another reply.

-Matt