Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) on Kepler?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Sep 22, 2014.

1. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Topic?

I mean, DSR it's just a kinda old downsampling (which we all using) but with fancy 13-tap Gaussian filter...but still, I wonder if it can be enabled on Kepler? I mean how hard can it be? It's just a driver tweak, right?..

PS. Or I mixed up something (?) and this feature works perfectly on Kepler, Fermi, etc. via "Geforce Experience" which I'm not using btw...

2. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
  3. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Tnx for clarifying =)

With that "new" DSR feature I just don't get it one thing...why Nvidia or AMD not implemented easy, user-friendly "downsampling" feature (or DSR alike) several years ago?! So now DSR it's like a new tech introduced on maxwell and such?!..What a PR bulls*t that is...corps are just sooo evil and full of sh*t :D

Why just not say something like: "Oh...you know, we finally realised that most of the gamers community using downsampling for years now...and we decided to adding this via easy "turn-on-turn-off" button...sorry for taking so long, but our company have a lot of retards working on that kind of stuff"...

Call this - "downsampling", put this in "global settings" or whatever...set ability to change the values to 2, 3, 4, etc. = done. Oh no...those f*ks from PR department call this a "DSR"...a new feature of our new brand gpu...what a BULLS*T!

PS. Sorry guys for being kinda a mad person here :D ...but I just cannot stand the BS in general...so, again...sorry.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    i donĀ“t think this is really a mandatory must have feature, i'm not rally convinced about MFAA or DSR, since we always know that downsampling blur the games a little or some part's of it like huds, some textures, etc, so i think the only good thing in new gpu are the perfomance, if nvidia decide that we older gpu users can have some of those features then i will be very thankfull, if not then anyways i don't have the money to waste in this new gpu with new features.

I will wait with my card another year until pascal comes out maybe we can see real and usefull new features and a better and smooth 4k gaming, i'm hoping for that

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm pretty sure downsampling would actually sharpen the image somewhat, unlike SSAA where there might be a slight blurring of it. :)
    (Also pretty sure both AMD and Nvidia now use driver tweaks to adjust LOD bias or what it's called to mitigate this somewhat.)

Guess it also depends on how it's filtered or how to say, Nvidia use some special (Gaussian?) filter for DSR so it's not a direct comparison but in this test by PCGamesHardware.de with GeDoSaTo you can see that the bilinear filter has a slight blur, bicubic retains the sharpness somewhat and lanczos even makes the image sharper.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Downs...6/Specials/Downsampling-mit-GeDoSaTo-1135217/

(German article, scroll down to the Divinity Original Sin comparison image and then click on the Borderlands 2 image below it to switch to that comparison.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I haven't had a chance to play around with DSR yet on my GTX 980, mainly because the option is only available globally and not on a per-game basis, which is a very silly omission if you think about it.

You can set various levels of downsampling from 1.20x to 4.00x and you can adjust the sharpness of the filter too. Looks like a cool option to have for older, less demanding games that have poor AA (typically console ports) but until NVIDIA implement DSR as a per-game option then I won't be trying it. I don't understand why they would add a downsampling option and not allow it to be used for specific games. :3eyes:

7. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    You have not the option in game? I Have and it works great in Dead Rising.

8. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Have you checked to see if you can enable it on a per-game basis with GeForce Experience?

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You can enable it for specific games. You just set the resolution in the game to 4K and it automatically turns it on. It's kinda buggy in some titles though that change assets depending on the resolution. There is also some weird effect in some games on the bottom and right edge of the screen. Overall it's definitely a sharper image though.

10. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah you don't even need to do it through Experience. Just go into any game and go to resolution options and 4K (or whatever res option you select in Nvidia CP) is an option. Select that and it renders it out and downsamples it automatically. The settings in Nvidia CP change the way it's rendered when you select it.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sorry, call me thick if you like, but I'm not understanding how you use DSR.

I thought that it would be simply a case of selecting when level of downsampling you wanted (from 1.20x to 4.00x) and the level of sharpness for the filter for whatever game you wanted in the games profiles and then when you run the game it automatically works. That is obviously the easiest and more logical way to do it, right?

Now, I'm reading that you need to set the resolution in GeForce Experience (why there and not in the game profiles?) and that the Global setting needs to be enabled. Then there's the bit about having to set the resolution in the game to 4K, which kind of makes the DSR option redundant, doesn't it? It all seems needlessly confusing at the moment. For me, at least. :3eyes:

Can someone please explain how to use DSR in a simple, idiot-proof way! Thank you. :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    How convenient, so you just set the option to 2.25x (1.5x1.5 or what it was.) - 4x (2x2) and then in the game just switch to the custom resolution (EDIT: "4K" the one from DSR, not from some other setting.) and it'll use those settings? :)
    (And that slider for how smooth or sharp the resulting image should be.)

14. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc

Off 2560x1080
    [​IMG]

On 3620x1537
    [​IMG]

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Don't even bother with the settings yet. If you want DSR on, you simply go into the game, go to resolution and you'll see 4K as an option. Change it to 4K, hit apply. Bam it's enabled.

If you want to adjust the image for clarity, go into Nvidia CP and adjust the slider. I think I have mine on 13%. I didn't mess with the factors thing. But yeah it works in every game I tried with the exception of Valley benchmark.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Keesberenburg - Am I understanding this right?

1. You set the Global DSR setting to, say, 4.00x and the filtering.
    2. You then load the game up and there will be a 3840x2160 resolution option to pick and selecting it will then run the game downsampled to the resolution of the display, which is 1920x1200 in my case, and with the appropriate filter?

In other words, using DSR avoids the need to create custom resolutions manually?

Is that correct?

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yes.

18. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    just reading this i can't wait to get DSR released on Kepler Cards. I just want to play GW2 with 4k, it's not working with Gedosato and 4k via the old downsampling method isn't that reliable either.

19. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    A driver option to downsample ALL games (DX9 - DX11) would be a HUGE incentive to buy a new card for me. (I know it's supposed to come to older cards too, but here it's mainly a performance issue).

I am so extremely sick and tired of ALL the other AA modes we have which almost never work or have one or the other major disadvantage. And sick of tired of games where AA does not even work AT ALL. (The irony is that a very long time ago, before DX10 there was no such problem. You could apply 4xAA to basically ANY game and did not have to put up with jaggies. Today, like 15 years later I am forced to play games like Elite Dangerous with some crappy FXAA or unable to set ANY AA, where the entire game looks like utter sh!t) Same with TXAA which looked only good in TR to me but horrible in other games with unacceptable blur)

I played Farcry 3 with a tool for downsampling (I cannot downsample natively via control panel since my old monitor's resolution doesn't allow it)...and Farcry 3 downsampled was AMAZING in image quality, basically no AA and most importantly no "flickering and scintillating", like when grass is rendered). Best image quality and only a very minor performance impact.

That it took decades to have this available is beyond me!!

If GTX 970/980 will allow down-sampling for ALL games it would be a total game changer for me, no "does AA work?" "how will AA look?" lottery but knowing that you can play ANY game without jaggies. This alone would be worth it to get a new card.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not that simple. There are a number of issues with downsampling and DSR in general. The Guassian filter Nvidia is using creates blur. The scaling gets screwed up in a number of various titles causing game assets to break. It also causes weird artifacts with mouse cursors.

I think it's great as an option but it's definitely not the holy grail of AA.