MaxCarBench

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by NormanBates, Nov 6, 2009.

1. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    hello again

guess what: just as we did for maya a few weeks back, we've got a nice 3ds max benchmark now too :)

at least nicer than specviewperf; or so I hope, because this one gave me more trouble than usual

you see... I don't have max, I don't use max. Last time I used 3Dstudio was with version 3 for DOS; I just looked it up on wikipedia, and that was 1993: I got a trial version with some magazine, then it expired. Fast forward. Today a friend let me use his computer for half an hour, and so this scene was created, trying to replicate MayaCarBench as close as possible

he didn't assist me in the process, so please, forgive me if there are some rough edges here...

still, can we use it as a benchmark? let's try, at least until somebody finds some big fault in it (like: there seems to be some problems with the textures in some cars; they seem to be the cars that didn't have real textures to start with, but still that may be a problem)

here it is:
    http://uploading.com/files/88mf81c6/MaxCarBench.zip

if you want to use it:
    * download zip
    * extract it to a local drive, it will create a project subdir tree
    * set 1280x1024 resolution, or close to that
    * open 3dsmax
    * if you don't see it already, get the fps indicator: click on the "+" in the viewport, configure, statistics, show statistics
    * file > open scene > MaxCarBench.max (it may tell you there are some missing texture files...)
    * you should see ten cars and an aircraft, plus some text disclaimer on the origin of the models, some of them shaded and with textures
    * press play; the camera will rotate around the models
    * look at the fps indicator, and take note of the HIGHEST fps number achieved (round it down to the closest lower integer, as in 31.8 -> 31; it is easier this way)

results so far:

Code:

seth_amok --- 50 fps - i7-920@4.0GHz - 6GB - w7.64 - 8800GT unmodded 190.38
    NormanBates - 31 fps -- q6600@3.0GHz - 2GB - xp.32 - HD4670 1GB unmodded 8.661
    NormanBates - 31 fps -- q6600@3.0GHz - 2GB - xp.32 - HD4670 1GB modded 8.603
    Cubitus ----- 18 fps - T2M520@2.3Ghz - 4GB - w7.64 - Radeon4530 (directX 9)
    Cubitus ----- 11 fps ---- A64@2.0GHz - 1GB - xp.32 - Radeon9700 @ FireGL 8.043 (directX)
    Cubitus ------ 1 fps ---- A64@2.0GHz - 1GB - xp.32 - Radeon9700 @ FireGL 8.043 (openGL)

first conclusion: 3dsmax is much more efficient than maya, I've got a sevenfold increase in fps! does this thing ever crawl at 1fps? should we try with an even more complex scene?
    (yes, my friend's computer is nealy the same as mine: I'm his unnoficial IT advisor, and he bought it just a couple of months after I bought mine, so only the HDD is a bit better; drivers are more recent too, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't make a difference in maya, so the 7x improvement holds)

sister benchmarks:

MayaCarBench:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=307466

MayaBikeBench:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=307873

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    UFF I'm on OSX and I don't have windows anymore. Maybe I'll test soon :).

3. juodvarnis

juodvarnis Member

GPU:
    mobility radeon hd 5650
    there were benchmark scenes provided in some earlier 3ds max cd and there is maxscript to measure framerate precisely. i can upload it somewhere somehow if someone is intrested :)

4. Cubitus

Cubitus Member

Cubitus - 11fps in Direct X9- Athlon64 +3200 (2Ghz) - 1GB - XP.32 - 3dsMax2010- Mobility Radeon 9700 modded to ATI FireGL T2 w/ 8043 drivers. CPU was at maximum.

Cubitus - 0.9fps in OpenGL- Athlon64 +3200 (2Ghz) - 1GB - XP.32 - 3dsMax2010- Mobility Radeon 9700 modded to ATI FireGL T2 w/ 8043 drivers.

I clicked view > show standart materials with maps in viewport because i had only grey cars in it except the Audi. In DirectX most textures even after that didn't showed up like in HUMMER or showed black like in FIAT Punto, but they showed up right OpenGL. Btw, i am missing a texture: us_ltv_main.tif

5. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    wow, that's a ancient system...

but it's a nice result: it looks like you just have to use max in directx mode (as I also did), and then even your rig is faster than anything we tested in maya (and that includes some really fast processors, and some really expensive authentic pro cards)

about the textures: in my system it also says one texture file is missing, but it displays the textures properly in the cars (some don't seem to have any, but the punto, humvee, etc., have been properly textured)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. Cubitus

Cubitus Member

Yeah, it made valuable service but it is time to retire it. I am replacing it by an HP Dv7 with an HD4530, it came with W7 x64 unfortunately i installed a demo of 3dsMax2010 32bits and it doesn't start, says some DX9 dll missing. Do you know if there is any upgrade?

In Softimage 2010 32bits Trial with all HP crap and all W7 effects it is about 18-20fps faster with consumer drivers that it came with than the Clevo with modded 9700 Radeon.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  7. kocha

kocha Member

GPU:
    NVidia Quadro FX4600
    Try to update your DirectX runtimes:

Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553&displaylang=en

8. Cubitus

Cubitus Member

yes that was it.

Cubitus - 18fps in Direct X9- Turion II Ultra M520(2.3Ghz) - 4GB - Win7 x64 - 3dsMax2010- Mobility Radeon HD4530; 9.11 Catalyst Drivers via MobilityModder. CPU was at around 40-50%.

Resolution 1600x900

Viewport was correct except front fencers in Punto appearing normals inverted and some cars didn't showed glass transparency.

Other tests:
    Views>Show Material Viewport as>Standard Display

which means no textures: give me a boost to 20fps. Now without any viewport error in cars.

Views>Show Material Viewport as>HardwareDisplayWithMaps

dropped to 13fps with some normal errors.

DX10: 1fps with some 3D mistakes specially in one car with all normals inverted.

OpenGL:1fps with good viewport.

I forgot to say that the result with older notebook was with 1440x900 resolution.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  9. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    thanks, I added your numbers to the table

(and I thought max was more popular than maya!)

10. Cubitus

Cubitus Member

It is , but maybe not here.

Edit:
    btw i just rerun the test to check with GPU-z the load and it gives me 57% Load of GPU so why are the remaining 43% idle?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009

11. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    if you're not using neither all the CPU power nor all the GPU power you have at hand, maybe memory bandwith is your bottleneck? there's a lot of info about vertex position that has to be retrieved from memory in this scene, and textures too

if you are really, really interested in knowing, and have time to burn, you can throttle down your GPU's memory, and see how much that impacts performance

12. avadona

avadona Member

GPU:
    xxxxx
    subb'd

13. Cubitus

Cubitus Member

Or i can make a cube(less memory :D ) delete all other objects and run it.

Edit1:Made the test with a cube with all objects deleted GPU load never goes above fifties 55% was the bigger number.

fps run wildly between 151 and 100

If i select the cube the fps run between 9x's and 137.

So in all the GPU load is more or less the same. Around 50's %

Is there an online game/bench that pushes the GPU to the max?

Edit2: Cinebench R10 x64 OpenGL bench pushed the GPU to 68%

Edit3: Made the Softimage bench i have posted here in another thread and i have very curious results:

Textured: Max GPU Load : 66%
    Wireframe: Max GPU Load: 45%
    HiddenLine: Max GPU Load: 87%

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  14. seth_amok

seth_amok New Member

GPU:
    8800 GT
    On my system, i got 50 fps maximum, but the average is somewhere around 40, with drops in the range of 33-34.

I'm using just normal drivers, 190.38, stock frequencies on the 8800 GT. Also, i'm running a dual-display setup, an Eizo 19" at 1280-1024 which is for the viewport and also, a secondary monitor for menus, an Acer 22" at 1680/1050, so the performance is a bit lower than on just a single monitor setup.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  15. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I updated the table with the details from seth_amok