Old school enthusiast needs advice on x4 860k.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by nuno.ka, Nov 22, 2014.

1. nuno.ka

nuno.ka Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 590 Fatboy
    Hey there, I'm 41 years old and I started my building and overclocking journey back in the late 90's with a P2 350@465 and a couple Voodoo 2s in SLI (sweet UT glide times). My last system build was done in 2008 with a core 2 duo E8200, the one in my sig. Only major upgrade since was my GTX 460 1Gb. So I've been out of touch with new stuff.
    Now I'm itching for a more modern system with an SSD and 8Gb of ram, but with a tight budget (my big spender days are long gone) so bang for the buck is paramount. I really don't care for top tier stuff anymore, just a well performing rig that'll keep up with 1080p gaming.

My idea is getting these:

Athlon II x4 860k
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Asus A88x plus
    2x4Gb DDR3 1866
    120Gb SSD

For now I'd keep my nv 460 because I feel it still serves my needs very well.
    I'd just like to know if this would be a very noticeable upgrade from my E8200+Asus p35+2Gb DDR2 system for the €300 I'd be spending give or take.
    Thanks a lot for reading, and for taking the time to reply if you wish to.

2. mixalis9

mixalis9 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080 ti
    what kind of games are you playing?

3. nuno.ka

nuno.ka Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 590 Fatboy
    BF3
    Dirt 3
    Grid 2
    Metro 2033
    and I also want a snappier, more responsive system, it's taking too long to boot and open apps. Since I'm doing a fresh win 7 install I might as well wait till I have a new system.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You won't notice much difference. If you want a real upgrade on a budget, go with a G3258 build. It will smoke your E8200 AND that 860K. Or, if you are okay with spending a bit more, a Core I3 4330 build will be even better. Both of these processors will give you the snappiness you want, even though they're only dual core. Intel's core performance is just so far superior these days.

Pentium G3258
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

I3-4330
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116945

5. nuno.ka

nuno.ka Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 590 Fatboy
    Thanks for the links IcE, but the i3 costs almost as much as the 860k + A88x mobo... and I still need cash for the ssd and the ram. As for the Pentium, I'd really like to go for 4 cores because this build will have to last me for the next 5 years.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The extra 2 cores don't really matter except for video rendering and streaming.

Anything gaming and or general usage will absolutely smoke the x4 860k.

7. nuno.ka

nuno.ka Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 590 Fatboy
    What would be the minimum acceptable motherboard chipset for the G3258?
    I always looked at the mobo as the most important component of a build.
    Is there a nice sk 1150 board for under €100? I will only ever use a single graphics card.

8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
  9. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Nuno, you can find Z97 motherboads under €100:

http://www.aquapc.com/loja/produto.php?p=10907

http://www.globaldata.pt/index.aspx?p=ProdDetailRef&ProdRef=ASRZ97ANNIVERSARY#.VHJHfsmryz4

http://www.globaldata.pt/index.aspx?p=ProdDetailRef&ProdRef=Z97-G43#.VHJH0Mmryz4

10. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I would deffo listen to this advise if its gaming or most things really lol then intel have much better choice of cpu even intel offers cheap cpu's these days that have really good gaming/price performance

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
  12. hussein19891

hussein19891 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 870m
    That little penitum ........ I didn't know Intel had it in them. Lighting fast dual core without the premium price tag.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If this is meant to be your gaming rig for the next 5yrs, don't get a Pentium. Don't buy any dual core, 2nd hand is always an option if money's tight.

As ICE already said 860k and G3 have similar performance, G3 can be faster at single threading, but in moderately threaded apps it will tank. This means basic all recent and future FPS.

Check out some BF3 MP benches and you'll see what I mean.
    Hilbert said the G3's low price and high overclocking potential made it appealing for LN2 overclockers, or maybe a light duty home server.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  14. thefunkyone

thefunkyone Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI Geforce 670 SLI
    I recently built a new comp with the 860k CPU... It was built as an over elaborate blu ray player... :D

And i have to say for a cheapy CPU it does rather nice.... I paired the CPU with a cheap R7 260X and so far have only played star trek online and neverwinter on it and it runs them both flawlessly at max settings.... ohh and i did benchmark super street fighter 4 and got around 110 - 150 fps :D

The only drawbacks i can find is that you have to make sure the mobo your buying has a bios that will support the 860k installed or you will need an older CPU to enable it to boot to do the flashing. That and you need to ditch the crappy AMD aluminum reject heatsink and slap something a bit beefier on it :D

15. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one

16. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  17. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Ice, I respect that you were recommending something on a budget for him though but a dual core? In 2015? I find it incredibly shocking that anyone would still recommend a dual core processor in this day and age. I don't care if the two cores are light speed fast as holy sh!t, dual core is OUT. I mean out like tube televisions! Quad core or better - or bust.

Sorry, but absolute nonsense ^ Multitudes of software makes use of more than 2 cores other than what you mentioned, including games. Every day tasks like extracting zipped/compressed files, multi-tasking desktop or any photo editing program. No need to create a big list, but let's be honest to the OP here! Your second line may ring true, but the first comment is ridiculous.

^ What Pill said.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep not to mention Windows it self makes extremely good use of multiple cores on its own. Sharing the load very in Windows 8 between as many threads as your CPU has no matter how the programs were coded. Windows will spread the load how it sees fit. Which is one of the main reasons whey Windows 8 and 8.1 are "smoother" and faster than any other version of Windows.

I would seriously consider going the second hand market and looking through ebay and places like that.

Try and find something like a 2600K or even a 2500K they are both still great chips and they can overclock extremely well. Also they have 4 cores and 2600K has 8 threads too which will help dramatically in newer games.

Also if you ask me 8GB is going to be cutting it close soon also in therms of gaming.

We have seen consistently recent games recommend 8GB RAM.

AC Unity, BF HL, Dying Light, to name but a few.

So even though 16GB is overkill, it is still the best way to go for true future proof.

But maybe get 8GB now and then add another 8GB when the time actually needs it (which I don't think will be too long).

19. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    You forgot one thing guys, nuno don't have enough money for i5. He has very limited budget. And with price tag on that G3258 plus the low-end cheap mobo (like MSI H81M-P33) which can overclock this puppy to 4.6 - 4.8Ghz there is no competition regardless...

The Pentium G3258 Cheap Overclocking Experiment by Tom's Hardware

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Um, is that your own vid because the testing is quite flawed....

Like FX is overclocked using turbo therefore hits 4.7 on only 4 cores, not 8. Turbo and APM need to be disabled.

And MetroLL bench has Vishera @120/11 fps, then Pentium @90/6, yet both avg 50.4 and max out @ 60 in fraps.
    Also it's hard to tell what settings are being used on the FX side because the OSD is missing for most of the first 3 games.

Lastly the G3 seems to have 3 cores according to RSS?

I didn't really watch the rest....:nerd:

I just read THG and it is crap site ... I mean look:

I don't want to sound like a fanboy but they're testing 2 very old DX9 engines (Skyrim/Starcraft), and a DX11 title (FC3).

This is meant to be for a new 2015 build? Not very realistic imho... If you just wanna play Skyrim why upgrade at all?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015