Ram speed set to 3200, showing as 1064.5?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dirthurts, Mar 16, 2017.

1. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Hi there

So, I set my ram to 3200MHz in my motherboard (the speed stated on the ram), but when I pull up CPUid I'm showing 1064.5
    This is DDR4 on a Ryzen 1700 CPU if that helps. Any thoughts on what's going on?
    Windows shows the ram speed as 2311MHz to further complicate things.

2. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    What motherboard do you have and have you checked for an updated Bios for it? The Ryzen motherboards at launch have been hit and miss as far as getting RAM to work at it's rated specs. To the best of my knowledge most of them are "supposed" to work with up to 2667 RAM and some will even go as high as 3200+, but it really depends on which one you have and the specific model of RAM.

3. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm Using F4 3000c15d-16GVB (corsair ripjaw) 2 8 ram. It's on a, GA-AB350-gaming 3 motherboard From Gigabyte.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    CPU-Z shows the actual frequency of the RAM, not the effective one. For 3200, it should show 1600. Since it shows 1064.5, that means your RAM is configured as 2133.

No idea what's causing that. I'm just mentioning that 3200 would show as 1600 in CPU-Z.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have the exact same issue here too.

1800X, ASUS PRIME X370 MOBO, and 16GB GSKILL RIPJAW 3200MHz CAS16

No matter what I set in the BIOS or in Ryzen Master the board will take a while to reboot and once it does its back to 2133MHz (or 1064MHz in CPUZ).

I am in the middle of RMA'ing this set of RAM for a refund and have some 16GB Corsair Vengence 3600MHz LPX memory on the way as it is on the motherboard QVL list and is stated to support running in dual channel mode with a Ryzen CPU at 3200MHz.

So hopefully this helps.

I also am having a blast with Ryzen I have mine at 4.1GHz and 1.4v but have not yet had time to tweak the voltages. Its stable though, lasted 2 hours in Doom Vulkun at Nightmare details 1080p with near solid 190-200fps. It has lasted for 10 runs of Asus Realbench benchmarking tool and around 6 hours of OCCT linpack mode with 90% memory usage.

It is nice to know that our temp reading are nothing to worry about, I have seen upto 90C in Ryzen master but with that 20C offset its actually 70C.

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Well tbh Ryzen is so new and notorious for ram speed issues I very much doubt its the same issue, on ryzen you need to update the bios as soon as new ones are available

7. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I'm on revision 5 already...ha ha. But, at least it's getting plenty of support for now.
    Updating did make a HUGE difference in performance (I wish the reviews updated their scores). So maybe it's just a matter of waiting on the bios update. Before I updated I couldn't even post when setting the speed to anything above 2400. Any chance it's just reading wrong? Seems unlikely.

8. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    So, talking to Gigabyte,
    They said that whatever I've set in the bios is in fact the ram speed. However, the ram speed will sit at the base speed (2400MHz), until faster speeds are needed. Then, it should jump up. The issue is I don't know how to verify this. Any thoughts?

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Run Prime95 to generate RAM bandwidth load? Choose a stress test that tests RAM.

10. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Good idea. I gave that a shot, and according to my readings, no change at all.
    I guess it's possible it's just not be read properly, but it's just as likely it's a bios glitch too.
    It's hard to say at this point.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That memory kit is only 3000mhz....not 3200....

12. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Ah, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure how I got that mixed up.
    Anyway, there is an update. There is a new bios update (labeled beta, so I'm staying far away), but it says "memory compatibility" in the notes as the main feature.
    Maybe that will help out once it's out of beta (version 6 at this point).

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    At this point in time all bios are beta..

Won't hurt to try it out.